Klaus-Dieter

Chinese New Year Sets - Rumors and Discussion

17 hours ago, The Brick Boss said:

Bro! I've been trying to get my hands on the 80107 Spring Lantern Festival, but it is rare and according to the official site, its sold out. 

I don’t. Have that one sadly! It looks amazing. But there is a new set “Tranquil Garden” avaialbe, even without minifigures included. 

On 9/26/2023 at 7:05 PM, Lion King said:

I would love to see a modular Buddhist temple in that Lunar New Year subtheme.  I’m not sure if Buddhism is allowed since it’s religious?

oh me too, but I think since it falls under religion then TLG won't touch it

6 hours ago, Herky said:

Yup. We had street fair set in 2020, yet that temple was not enclosed, which it’s a big shame. I don’t know how Lego could do a non-religious/Buddhist modular temple set… 

6 hours ago, Herky said:

Just FYI, there are some "community centers" or "dining halls" across Asia which are similar in architecture/ design to religious halls. So Lego could make a building that looks like a temple but actually for a different purpose - dining/ gathering hall.

25 minutes ago, Lion King said:

Yup. We had street fair set in 2020, yet that temple was not enclosed, which it’s a big shame. I don’t know how Lego could do a non-religious/Buddhist modular temple set… 

Someone made a modular version based out of that on Rebrickable.

20 hours ago, Herky said:

To be fair, we already have a number of actual gods in Minifig form, so maybe the Chinese market is something of an exception to LEGO’s “no religion” policy. Also, a Lunar New Year celebration at a Buddhist temple would be a respectful portrayal of the religion/culture in-question, so I doubt that anyone would genuinely be offended by it. 

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

To be fair, we already have a number of actual gods in Minifig form, so maybe the Chinese market is something of an exception to LEGO’s “no religion” policy. Also, a Lunar New Year celebration at a Buddhist temple would be a respectful portrayal of the religion/culture in-question, so I doubt that anyone would genuinely be offended by it. 

I think you made a good  oint.

Also, I may misremember but I think there was Buddha in Journey to the West so Buddha may show up in Monkie Kid theme.

Edited by Lion King

16 hours ago, Lion King said:

I think you made a good  oint.

Also, I may misremember but I think there was Buddha in Journey to the West so Buddha may show up in Monkie Kid theme.

Well, Tang Sanzang himself becomes a Buddha by the end of the story. So we kinda already have one, but not ‘the Buddha’. 

So China International Import Expo (CiiE) will take its place from Nov 5th to 10th this year. I’m pretty excited to see new Lunar New Year and Monkie Kid sets.

Exciting!! The Chinese New Year sets are always really good, even for someone like myself who don’t celebrate Chinese New Year!

I hope it’s something to do with food. I missed out on the dinner set a couple of years back (I don’t think they sold it in the west?), although I was able to buy the printed food pieces from ‘bricks and pieces’ surprisingly enough 

1 hour ago, Gnukan said:

I hope it’s something to do with food. I missed out on the dinner set a couple of years back (I don’t think they sold it in the west?), although I was able to buy the printed food pieces from ‘bricks and pieces’ surprisingly enough 

You really don’t miss out - it was not sold worldwide in 2019 (along with Dragon Boat Race). The Temple Fair and Lion dance sets were released worldwide in 2020.

I love collecting minifigures so I’m going for sets that have minifigures rather than lame display like one that is released this year. Personally, I hope there would be a dragon dance set similiar to lion dance but longer . 

36 minutes ago, Lion King said:

You really don’t miss out - it was not sold worldwide in 2019 (along with Dragon Boat Race). The Temple Fair and Lion dance sets were released worldwide in 2020.

I love collecting minifigures so I’m going for sets that have minifigures rather than lame display like one that is released this year. Personally, I hope there would be a dragon dance set similiar to lion dance but longer . 

I really liked the 2022 ice rink set so hopefully something that can be linked to a City environment but with an Oriental influence would be good.

3 hours ago, lifeinplastic said:

I really liked the 2022 ice rink set so hopefully something that can be linked to a City environment but with an Oriental influence would be good.

I may be in a minority and I’m sue I mentioned that before - I would love to see a modular set, such as Noodle Store or Family House (similarity to dinner house in 2019).I have temple fair and lion dance sets from 2020 that I can put them in my modular city. 

9 hours ago, Lion King said:

I may be in a minority and I’m sue I mentioned that before - I would love to see a modular set, such as Noodle Store or Family House (similarity to dinner house in 2019).I have temple fair and lion dance sets from 2020 that I can put them in my modular city. 

There is a rumor out there that it is going to be a building:

80113 Chinese style building for 130$

2 hours ago, Kallego said:

There is a rumor out there that it is going to be a building:

80113 Chinese style building for 130$

Really? Now I’m curious but I. Have to be cautious. 

Just now, Lion King said:

Really? Now I’m curious but I. Have to be cautious. 

Brickclicker reported about it in his recent video.

1 hour ago, Kallego said:

Brickclicker reported about it in his recent video.

Oh I see! Well, thank for sharing info! I just don’t want to be disappointed if it’s not a modular building for CNY after all. 

We shall see. 

When they say "Chinese style building"...it is just so vague!!! Are they referring to a pagoda or temple-like architecture??? As much as I would very muck like for it to be a modular, I somehow doubt Lego would make one just like that Chinese restaurant MOC on Rebrickable. Hopefully I'm wrong - they have a CNY x Disney crossover this year. So perhaps CNY x modular might not be too far off.

And to think about it more, the actual modular released early. So perhaps there is 'competition' in January? Speculating, just speculating.

12 minutes ago, hikouki said:

When they say "Chinese style building"...it is just so vague!!! Are they referring to a pagoda or temple-like architecture??? As much as I would very muck like for it to be a modular, I somehow doubt Lego would make one just like that Chinese restaurant MOC on Rebrickable. Hopefully I'm wrong - they have a CNY x Disney crossover this year. So perhaps CNY x modular might not be too far off.

And to think about it more, the actual modular released early. So perhaps there is 'competition' in January? Speculating, just speculating.

Yeah, “Chinese-style building” is super duper vague but it has me interested cautiously! 

And spring lantern festival set fits nicely into modular city.

it would be nice if a Lunar New Year modular is a 16x32 one since it’s $130. 

Oh and the modular building needs Asian architecture! It’s a long overdue… so it’s just my wishful thought.  

2 hours ago, Lion King said:

Yeah, “Chinese-style building” is super duper vague but it has me interested cautiously! 

And spring lantern festival set fits nicely into modular city.

it would be nice if a Lunar New Year modular is a 16x32 one since it’s $130. 

Oh and the modular building needs Asian architecture! It’s a long overdue… so it’s just my wishful thought.  

The Spring Lantern Festival basically is a Modular, just as a garden rather than a building. A Modular Garden. 
If they actually were to make a 16-wide CNY-inspired Modular, I would 100% buy it. (I could see it happening too, to appeal to anyone buying the Museum who doesn’t already have Assembly Square and thus will have their Modular street offset by half a baseplate.) Love that thought!

19 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

The Spring Lantern Festival basically is a Modular, just as a garden rather than a building. A Modular Garden. 
If they actually were to make a 16-wide CNY-inspired Modular, I would 100% buy it. (I could see it happening too, to appeal to anyone buying the Museum who doesn’t already have Assembly Square and thus will have their Modular street offset by half a baseplate.) Love that thought!

Yeah just like Bookshop’s split buildings (each building has 16x32 baseplate). One 16x32 building could explain a lot about $130 - it’s my hope to add Asian punch to my modular city.

So…CIIE will begin tomorrow so let’s see if we could grab glimpse of Monkie Kid and Lunar New Year sets next weeek (Nov 5th - 10th).

and I’m hoping we gonna get a panda mold….

Edited by Lion King

1 hour ago, Lion King said:

So…CIIE will begin tomorrow so let’s see if we could grab glimpse of Monkie Kid and Lunar New Year sets next weeek (Nov 5th - 10th).

and I’m hoping we gonna get a panda mold….

I would not be surprised if they did a panda after the bear mold, just with perhaps a different head? Cool if they did the panda sitting down.

I'm interested if they will just reuse the dragon CMF mold or make an entirely new one for the CNY set!