arealhuman

Do you think lego will ever realese another space theme

16 hours ago, Flak Maniak said:

I doubt that Lego-original IPs will sell well to adults, in general. I think Lego-original stuff isn't very likely under the 18+ banner. What you see marketed to adults is generally either licensed (Star Wars or other nostalgic properties), or based on real-world things, like the Sydney opera house, or whatever else.

Nostalgia does sell though, evidenced in the Pirates of Barracuda Bay set, which is marketed to over 16s. It is based off the original Black Seas Barracuda from 1989, so the same might work for a space set.

12 hours ago, MAB said:

Why should sci-fi space be based on real exposure? If you want realistic space, then there are the City space themes. Any new space theme should stay away from realistic space travel if it is already covered by City. And while no one has had experience of alien combat, no-one has had experience of astronauts travelling to other planets let alone building bases on those planets. So Classic Space was a fiction too.

Having re-read this sentence unlike the original, much more exploration based classic space I realise my own wording was a bit mistaken there- apologies!

But in a way that is sort of my point. People don't have experiences of going to space, only what is seen in the media, TV, movies etc. The days of movies with aliens and UFOs invading Earth and fighting with humans has long passed, so space is related with exploration and research, not combat. I realise sci-fi space fictional, but for it to have a more relatable basis could engage a wider market.

9 hours ago, Lego David said:

You say that if original space themes didn't focus on alien combat, they would be more successful... but that argument is severely flawed

I am not against any sort of weaponization in space sets, as has been pointed out it has been done before, but I think some recent space themes, such as galaxy squad, and alien conquest, have such an overarching and stiff combat related storyline that creativity is hard to create. The Mars Mission sets were a good compromise. I don't mind, rather appreciate, aliens being included, but they are always portrayed as the theme's villains, which makes the theme quite rigid, to the younger market especially.

Well City Space is getting more futuristic so would that count?

I don't see LEGO releasing a Space theme, just 1-2 Space sets a year through Ideas or Creator.

Honestly, maybe we should consider it huge progress that there's the classic space logo homages (not to mention additional classic space astronaut colors) all over the place. I mean, we fairly frequently get new torsos with the classic space logo, but otherwise modern designs. If that's not the goal minifig-wise, what is? (Well, this is where you tell me that you want things totally new, like Galaxy Squad was when it came out, as opposed to "more classic space", and that's a fair position to take.)

I guess, yeah, it's good to get occasional futuristic sets in Creator, just as it's nice to get the occasional underwater set, like that underwater mech or the sea creatures set from a year or two ago. (And well, Creator is a really excellent line; if anything it's the best place to get things, given how it doesn't shy away from fundamentals-based, but complex builds.) But... Well, "a set here and there" isn't the same as... A cohesive line, with clear design idioms for various factions.

I'm rambling. I guess my overall thesis would be, yes I want more Lego-original themes, or perhaps that is to say, I want more Lego-original stuff, but compacted into themes. Instead of so many generic Creator vehicles (nothing wrong with them in the abstract), maybe we could get a line of related Creator vehicles, with a cohesive color scheme. Just, imagine if there were 3-4 Creator sets this year with futuristic subject matter, and for example the same sand-blue-and-orange color scheme of that little hovercraft set. Even that very small level of tying things together would help a lot. (And recall that many of the old space subthemes DID only get four or so sets; small numbers of sets can still very clearly establish an aesthetic and a faction. Consider the Stingrays from Aquazone. Instantly recognizable, very clear visual language, iconic parts and prints. Only four sets.)

On 1/10/2021 at 9:53 PM, Stuartn said:

But in a way that is sort of my point. People don't have experiences of going to space, only what is seen in the media, TV, movies etc. The days of movies with aliens and UFOs invading Earth and fighting with humans has long passed, so space is related with exploration and research, not combat. I realise sci-fi space fictional, but for it to have a more relatable basis could engage a wider market.

I am not against any sort of weaponization in space sets, as has been pointed out it has been done before, but I think some recent space themes, such as galaxy squad, and alien conquest, have such an overarching and stiff combat related storyline that creativity is hard to create. The Mars Mission sets were a good compromise. I don't mind, rather appreciate, aliens being included, but they are always portrayed as the theme's villains, which makes the theme quite rigid, to the younger market especially.

As already noted, space exploration and research is already covered in the City space sets. A separate space theme covering even more space exploration and research would be competing with that and so somewhat redundant. 

20 hours ago, MAB said:

As already noted, space exploration and research is already covered in the City space sets. A separate space theme covering even more space exploration and research would be competing with that and so somewhat redundant. 

I don't want any sets that are strictly exploration based, I can see the competition with city, just something that is more fluid in storyline, like space themes up until the last space police, as conflict only sets are at the other end of the spectrum and compete with Star Wars sets.

On 1/11/2021 at 2:42 PM, Maple said:

Well City Space is getting more futuristic so would that count?

I suppose it could.