Sign in to follow this  
cyclone501

Pirates of the Carribean online!

LINKAGE!!! PotC is an awesome online game based of of the popular movies. I cannot provide screenshots as I am using a Linux and am unable to download. In the game, you start as a simple pirate stuck in a jail cell. Jack Sparrow is locked in with you and helps you create your character (male or female, you have to be a pirate). After that, Jack springs you out and you go to a bar where a fellow named Doggeral Dan helps you out. I'll try and make a fig sometime soon. He teaches you to use a sea chest. Then you leave the small island with a pirate named Bo Beck, who teaches you to use a cannon. Then your pirate discovers that Bo was supposed to betray Jack to the main villian, a really creepy dead pirate named Jolly Roger. I'll give you a brief description: He is a blackish skeleton, is missing a hand and has a pistol/sword magic arm doohickey, his right leg is replaced by a pigs hoof, he is wearing some sort of fancy clothes, and oh, his hat has about three cards in it, I believe. I'll have to make these figs. So he tries to drown you, but you mysteriously swim to Port Royal. Oh, and he sinks Becks ship and turns Beck into a freaky zombie pirate. No way can I fig Beck without an effing decal printer, which is not available. So you swim to Port Royal, where Will teaches you to use a sword (mysteriously, he already knows your Jacks friend, although it can't have taken 24 hours to reach the port. So then he sends you to kill a zombie and talk to Tia Dalma, who teaches you to use your compass (its another one of those "never points north" compasses). Then you go, kill a couple of British, and meet up with Elizabeth. She gives you a free ship, and you go to Tortuga. Thats all i'll tell you, but also: its really frikkin expensive to play as a slave paying member. Have fun!

Been playing for the past few days...it's *alright*, at best.

Negatives:

There are exactly nine ships, six of which are simply minor variations on the original three.

PvP play is hard to initiate and nearly useless once you get there, and there is no possibility for ship-to-ship battles with other players.

You are given a pistol and a cutlass, but can only use the pistol on wild animals and skeletons...NOT on Navy troops. Minor, perhaps, but still damned irritating.

Visual range at sea is fairly restricted, but this is probably a limitation of playing a SMMORPG (Somewhat-massive-etc.) rather than of the game itself (if that makes sense...).

The East India Trading Company is FAR more powerful than the Royal Navy...this irritates me, but I guess it makes it closer to the movie.

There are really not very many things to DO...you can sink ships, kill skeletons, or work out the main storyline. No subplots of note, no economics (you can't buy or sell cargo, for example), nothing of that nature.

Positives:

You don't have to see the movie characters any more often than you want to.

Despite it being a game made by Disney (there is no alcohol in the bar (!), no profanity even of a mild sort, nothing else of that sort of piratical nature), you can play Blackjack and "Tortuga" Hold-Em Poker. For in-game money.

Sailing around in a Galleon sinking Navy ships with seven other people is really addicting.

...Despite all the negatives, it actually IS pretty fun, at least for a little while.

I paid the First-Month Unlimited Access fee of $4.95 (goes up to $9.95 after the first month), and I probably won't renew my subscription. It's sort of fun, but Pirates of the Burning Sea looks like a much better game for the same monthly price.

Been playing for the past few days...it's *alright*, at best.

Negatives:

There are exactly nine ships, six of which are simply minor variations on the original three.

PvP play is hard to initiate and nearly useless once you get there, and there is no possibility for ship-to-ship battles with other players.

You are given a pistol and a cutlass, but can only use the pistol on wild animals and skeletons...NOT on Navy troops. Minor, perhaps, but still damned irritating.

Visual range at sea is fairly restricted, but this is probably a limitation of playing a SMMORPG (Somewhat-massive-etc.) rather than of the game itself (if that makes sense...).

The East India Trading Company is FAR more powerful than the Royal Navy...this irritates me, but I guess it makes it closer to the movie.

There are really not very many things to DO...you can sink ships, kill skeletons, or work out the main storyline. No subplots of note, no economics (you can't buy or sell cargo, for example), nothing of that nature.

Positives:

You don't have to see the movie characters any more often than you want to.

Despite it being a game made by Disney (there is no alcohol in the bar (!), no profanity even of a mild sort, nothing else of that sort of piratical nature), you can play Blackjack and "Tortuga" Hold-Em Poker. For in-game money.

Sailing around in a Galleon sinking Navy ships with seven other people is really addicting.

...Despite all the negatives, it actually IS pretty fun, at least for a little while.

I paid the First-Month Unlimited Access fee of $4.95 (goes up to $9.95 after the first month), and I probably won't renew my subscription. It's sort of fun, but Pirates of the Burning Sea looks like a much better game for the same monthly price.

Sorry you didn't like it. I know its fricking expensive, but I only ended up playing the beta testing. There is a way to look around at sea, you hold space and move the mouse, I believe. Oh well, better than Runescape.

Sorry you didn't like it. I know its fricking expensive, but I only ended up playing the beta testing. There is a way to look around at sea, you hold space and move the mouse, I believe. Oh well, better than Runescape.

Oh, infinitely better than Runescape, make no mistake!

And by "look around at sea" do you mean ZOOM IN on things? If so, that is useful and I hadn't realized it was an option...

Oh, infinitely better than Runescape, make no mistake!

And by "look around at sea" do you mean ZOOM IN on things? If so, that is useful and I hadn't realized it was an option...

No, I mean as in the camera turns at different angles (don't know what its called, its like panning or something)

So this is one of those online computer games where you've got to buy the software and then pay so much per month to play?

I like the developer's marketing strategy! I must be sure to have ingenious ideas like that in the future.

So this is one of those online computer games where you've got to buy the software and then pay so much per month to play?

I like the developer's marketing strategy! I must be sure to have ingenious ideas like that in the future.

No, this is the type of game where you download for free, but to get anything beyond a pistol and a light sloop you need to pay around fifty some dollars (USD)

Tried it. It's horrible. Somewhat fun at first but without paying money, very daunting. Liked RS way better when I used to play years ago too. Now I'm away from RS for good, I like to play outside nowadays and go biking. But I felt like I missed mmo's. I tried POTC, angry at the lack of any good weapons you can get or ships you can buy without paying, and the graphics are pretty poor. Bad storyline, Jolly Roger does NOT look anything like that. The jokiness of the game is pretty neat though, with several references and stuff. But when you think about it, even when not paying, you're ripped off due to it not being an entirely secure game. I'm not kidding- POTC somehow managed to get a "Trojan" on my computer. Asking around, they said it was bad and good I removed it. The worst customer service. I said I got it from them, they asked for a picture but I said I already deleted the trojan of course... so they kept saying my email was not clear and eventually I trashed it all together.

Tried it. It's horrible. Somewhat fun at first but without paying money, very daunting. Liked RS way better when I used to play years ago too. Now I'm away from RS for good, I like to play outside nowadays and go biking. But I felt like I missed mmo's. I tried POTC, angry at the lack of any good weapons you can get or ships you can buy without paying, and the graphics are pretty poor. Bad storyline, Jolly Roger does NOT look anything like that. The jokiness of the game is pretty neat though, with several references and stuff. But when you think about it, even when not paying, you're ripped off due to it not being an entirely secure game. I'm not kidding- POTC somehow managed to get a "Trojan" on my computer. Asking around, they said it was bad and good I removed it. The worst customer service. I said I got it from them, they asked for a picture but I said I already deleted the trojan of course... so they kept saying my email was not clear and eventually I trashed it all together.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. I did for a time. But how does Jolly Roger not look like that? Thats what he was meant to look like.

I never buy MMO games. :pir-sceptic:

I don't care how sweet the game is, i never like the idea of having to pay a monthly charge to play it. :pir-hmpf_bad:

I'm too cheap

I love RPG games and have been hoping for a great age of sail RPG games ship to ship combat. :pir-wub:

Eh, by the looks of this topic it would seem that Voyage Century Online is the better. Speaking of it, I need to fire it back up, I haven't been online in a month! Age of Empires 3: The Asian Dynasties and a trip to see my girlfriend in CA has been eating away my time...