astral brick

Seriously, how did this happen?

This is sufficiently far from the truth, especially considering, for example, how weird some Space looked right from the start and how long it took for Castle to try anything that could be considered even a bit crazy, that it can only be construed as trolling :)

6 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Provocative thread. Here's some more kerosene:

I grew up with Lego Space and, aside from Blacktron, found it to be completely vanilla and largely uninspired (even as a little kid). Unlike Lego Castle and Pirates, which are (or were) rooted in compelling history, Space was always just generic sci-fi. The fact that the vast majority of large sets were all designed as unimaginative rectangular ships with the same cockpit, moon monorails, or starbases set on repetitively desolate cratered baseplates just drives this home - Space was always the weakest major theme by a longshot, due entirely to passionless management by Lego. What should have been a vibrant, optimistic theme populated by ever-changing ship designs, and visits to alien worlds was instead sullen, storyless, and bereft of vision.

The shift to Star Wars was - and remains - welcome, and I never want to go back. I'd happily welcome the return of Castle and Pirates to the yearly rotation, but Space can stay dead.

Nice! An actual opposing opinion, instead of another lame attempt to invalidate others'.

I don't know if what you said extends past Classic Space or not. Futuron introduced a few new canopy/cockpit designs, but maybe you're not counting that. 

Yeah, Classic Space reused that one hinged canopy a lot. I think 1985 is the main offender when it comes to using the same cockpit design. '86 uses the same canopy but different cockpit builds/nose shapes.

But more generally you're right, the Classic Space ships were pretty similar in overall design. Wedge shaped more-or-less with canopy in the front, wings on the sides, and engines in the back.

I would argue that SW has a it's own problems with repetition. Whether it's literally the same spaceship released every few years, or derivative designs that are too timid out of fear of not looking "Star Wars-y", I can't see how people aren't tired of it.

However I generally prefer the aesthetic of Lego Space. I like swoopy, angular/wedge shaped space ships. I like vivid, high contrast color blocking, and especially colored windscreens. I vastly prefer this to the drab, gray SW universe. I'm also not a big fan of the new designs like the Mandalorian ship, which looks like a gray brick with two cylinders attached.

But that's all subjective. It's fine if we all like different things.

Your criticisms of Lego Space are valid. But I don't think anyone here is arguing for a return of repetitive design. Also, I don't think that's been in issue since Futuron. I would say in the most recent Space themes especially, the space ship design was diverse and creative.

4 hours ago, Merlo said:

...it can only be construed as trolling :)

Nah, I like it. :)

Instead of trying to defend the status quo, or invalidate opposing opinions, he just straight up says why he doesn't like Lego Space and prefers Star Wars. This is the way to disagree.

Edited by danth

9 hours ago, danth said:

Instead of trying to defend the status quo, or invalidate opposing opinions, he just straight up says why he doesn't like Lego Space and prefers Star Wars. This is the way to disagree.

The way to disagree is to bring actual insight or do as objective as possible analysis that would reveal the situation not to be as clear cut as it might have seemed inside a particular bubble, not to have your argument seem absurd from the get go :)

SW has had many more sets than classic space, they have come many years after and had many years and iterations through which they could improve. SW in general has pretty much taken our entire culture hostage at this point and countless man hours and millions of dollars have been spent into making it a meme and a part of our lives as ordinary and expected as washing our teeth in the morning, yet so many people, given the circumstances, are talking about roughly made sets a few folks made starting more than 40 years ago. That says something.

59 minutes ago, Merlo said:

The way to disagree is to bring actual insight or do as objective as possible analysis that would reveal the situation not to be as clear cut as it might have seemed inside a particular bubble, not to have your argument seem absurd from the get go :

Let's just say I'm used to replies that don't even offer an opinion, but just bash the opinions and desires of others.

Where they don't even tell you what they like or don't like. They just explain to you that you have no right to like what you like, and that LEGO should never make any products you like, and that everything LEGO does is perfect anyway, and you should be happy just making MOCS instead of complaining about them not making sets you actually want.

An actual opinion on why SW is better than Classic Space is refreshing, after what I've experienced.

59 minutes ago, Merlo said:

SW has had many more sets than classic space, they have come many years after and had many years and iterations through which they could improve. SW in general has pretty much taken our entire culture hostage at this point and countless man hours and millions of dollars have been spent into making it a meme and a part of our lives as ordinary and expected as washing our teeth in the morning, yet so many people, given the circumstances, are talking about roughly made sets a few folks made starting more than 40 years ago. That says something.

Yep, I agree with that general sentiment.

Edited by danth

30 minutes ago, danth said:

Where they don't even tell you what they like or don't like. They just explain to you that you have no right to like what you like, and that LEGO should never make any products you like, and that everything LEGO does is perfect anyway,

Yes, in my relatively short presence in this forum, I noticed that many users tend to act like fanboys, plus some of them clearly have forms of ocd (with various degrees of seriousness). The outcomes are very elaborated posts on a formal level, which end to be substantially uninteresting, because the conclusion is always the same, Lego is perfect, they know better than any customer or competitor, don't discuss their decisions, just give them the cash and worship them. What these extreme fans don't realise is that, in relation to their knowledge or the amount of money and time dedicated to their hobby, they should be the first ones to push their beloved company to improve, instead of a priori defending the status quo. This immature attitude also damages this forum, because newcomers may feel bored, or unwelcome if not intimidated, therefore they will move to the comment section of some blog to express their opinions.       

30 minutes ago, danth said:

and you should be happy just making MOCS instead of complaining about them not making sets you actually want.

Exactly. In fact the point of this thread was not Sw vs Space but Sw + Space.

“By idolizing those whom we honor, we do a disservice both to them and to ourselves. . . . We fail to recognize that we could go and do likewise. —CHARLES V. WILLIE”

20 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

What should have been a vibrant, optimistic theme populated by ever-changing ship designs, and visits to alien worlds was instead sullen, storyless, and bereft of vision.

They did improve on some of those aspects later with UFO, Insectoids, LOM, Space Police 3, Alien Conquest and Galaxy Squad. To some, those themes don't exist specifically because they had new colours and designs, aliens and a bit of storyline.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 5:02 PM, jimmynick said:

That seems like a bit of a non-sequitur. People feel more nostalgia for classic space sets than they do for the Nexo Knights wingsuit. So what? Does that contradict @TeriXeri's assertion that classic space sets seemed to represent near-future tech at the time they were released?

I don't think NEXO nights was that popular anyway...