I recently bought a can of CRC Food grade silicone spray and sprayed them, unknowingly on my only 4 pneumatic pistons. I had a bad experience with lubricants as i melted an entire chassis drivetrain once with a single spray, the effect doesn't take place right away, it melted after 2-4 days. Anyone tried this new lubricant? If so please tell me if it is safe for lego or not.:ugh:

I have used a CRC plastic-safe lubricant on my LEGO monorail switches for two years, I haven’t had a problem with it. The only downside is it’s VERY greasy and liquid so it gets everywhere. I will check the name later today.

23 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I have used a CRC plastic-safe lubricant on my LEGO monorail switches for two years, I haven’t had a problem with it. The only downside is it’s VERY greasy and liquid so it gets everywhere. I will check the name later today.

Thanks, i hope it won't damage my parts again. I'll be waiting for the name.

Don't use anything besides acid free vaseline, even the PTFE and silicone sprays that are supposedly safe for plastics aren't. 
They may not damage the parts visibly, but they sure change the structural integrity of the parts.

Especially parts that are based on the bushing design all crack much faster, and some gears like the 24 teeth one just snap in halve.

Edited by jshuiting

15 minutes ago, jshuiting said:

Don't use anything besides acid free vaseline, 

Vaseline is petroleum jelly. Petroleum products eat ABS plastic, acid or not. Or did I miss something?

17 minutes ago, amorti said:

Vaseline is petroleum jelly. Petroleum products eat ABS plastic, acid or not. Or did I miss something?

"Petroleum Jelly - Pure Petroleum Jelly is compatible with plastics and synthetic rubber, but not advisable for natural rubbers."

I'm speaking from personal experiences though, never had any issues with acid free Vaseline myself thusfar, whilest WD-40's silicon and PTFE caused plenty of cracked parts.
I'm sure PTFE and silicon would be safe to use aswell if it weren't for the solvents they like to use.

Got a nice list here people can use, just find out what solvents are used in your lubricant of choice via the safety sheet, and compare;
solvent_compatibility.jpg?w=640

B "Minor effect" is already enough to cause weakening and cracks.

Edited by jshuiting

I believe "change" - which some call "deterioration" - of the >lubricant<, regardless what it is, is also a - if not the - major issue. Of course plus chemical interactions with ABS. But lubricants themselves don't stay the same. They change over time. Affected by temperature, humidity and so on.

Best
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie
weird keys on the keyboard - how do they always show up?

I know this is a bit old. But for rubiks cubes (which are made of all sort of plastics), we use silicone oils only. Available from most Remote control stores, or eurorc.com in europe. You can get any viscosity you need from 100 cSt (almost water) to more than 50.000 cSt (used for springs etc) which are thicker than liquid honey.

Silicone is plastic and food safe. And it is not under pressure. They spray types often have something bad in the pressure gas.