obijon

[MOC] MINIs from Clone Wars - 10 models incl. NEW Turtle Tanker from Brothers arc

New models will appear in the replies to this thread so keep an eye out!

Models in this thread:

1.       TWILIGHT

2.       TRIDENT

3.       BTL-B Y WING STARFIGHTER

4.       HYENA DROID BOMBER

5.       ARQUITENS-CLASS LIGHT CRUISER

6.       CK-6 SWOOP "FREECO BIKE"

7.       T-6 JEDI SHUTTLE

8.       H-2 EXECUTIVE SHUTTLE 

9.      RX-200 ASSAULT "STUN" TANK 

10.    TURTLE TANKER (NEW)

Hello again everyone

After re-watching some of this prior to watching the new series I decided to go back and update some of my old Clone Wars models from a while back which were originally posted on the From Bricks to Bothans (FBTB) board.

As I said these are not new models but have been updated for new parts which were not around when these were first built.  The original versions of these were built way before the Planets Series so I have also had to buy the figures.

The old versions can be found here (with some very bad and grainy photography!):

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=140779

TWILIGHT

First up we have the Twilight - The Twilight was a Corellian G9 Rigger-class light freighter owned and operated by the Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker during the Clone Wars. Skywalker and his Padawan, Ahsoka Tano, used the ship to escape from a battle on Teth.

The original version was grey and sand blue but I decided to ditch the sand blue tints.  I also updated the top cannon as the 1x1 brackets were not available when this was first built – just the neck bracket piece.  I also wish they would bring the old fingered hinge plates back as I still have old grey ones for the bottom wing as they are the only piece that work so it can fold up properly.  These are now rare but are very useful for mini builds as you do not have to add an extra layer of plates for imperial shuttle/Skyhopper (hint)  wings for example.  It shows my age that luckily  I have a few of these lying around!

trilight1.jpegtwilight2.jpegtrilight3.jpegtwilight4.jpegtwilight5.jpegtwilight6.jpegtwilightdisplay.jpeg

TRIDENT

Next up the Trident - the Trident-class assault ship, also known as the Trident assault ship, was a model of aquatic gunship manufactured by the Colicoid Creation Nest. They were used by the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars.

This one is so old the cheese slopes were not available when it was first built so I have used the cheese slopes to update the head to give it a more rounded appearance – previously this had a jumper plate and a tile where the cheese slopes are.  I have also updated the “limbs” with the 1 x2 plates with handles and clips, replacing the old finger hinge plates and also added the tooth pieces and added the round tile for the cockpit.

Those cone pieces are still not both available in normal red though so dark red it has to be! Meh.

trident1.jpegtrident2.jpegtrident3.jpegtrident4.jpegtrident5.jpegtrident6.jpegtridentdisplay.jpeg

BTL-B Y-WING STARFIGHTER

Thirdly we have the Republic version of the Y-Wing Starfighter. 

The BTL-B Y-wing starfighter was an assault starfighter/bomber that flew combat missions for the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars.

This did not have a major overall – mainly new white pieces as the old ones had yellowed.  I have added some of those curved 1 x2 slopes which weren’t around and a couple of the round plate with a bar which are very useful for cannons on minis! 

The shape of the nose has been built using the horizontal hinge plates instead of wedges so that is only 3 studs wide.

btlb1.jpegbtlb2.jpegbtlb3.jpegbtlb4.jpegbtlb5.jpegbtlb6.jpegbtlbdisplay.jpeg

HYENA DROID BOMBER

Lastly, for this post, the Hyena Droid Bomber - the vulture droids big brother.  These were droid starfighters manufactured by Baktoid Armor Workshop. They were designed for heavy ordnance bombing runs. Based on vulture droid designs, Hyena bombers had wider and sturdier hulls with huge wings to gain stability during flight.

This one had the most drastic rebuild as I rebuilt the centre section completely.  Instead of the 1x2 slopes with grilles I have used the new 1x2 curved slopes for the heads both on top and underneath.  I also made the centre section a stud wider.

hyena1.jpeghyena2.jpeghyena3.jpeghyena4.jpeghyena5.jpeghyena6.jpeghyenadisplay.jpeg

Let me know what you think.

More soon.

Jon

Edited by obijon

These are great! My favorites are the Trident and the Y-Wing.

The Twilight doesn't get a lot of love from the fandom (neither does the Hyena), but you did a good job on both of them!

I'd love to see more of these. :thumbup:

I've never been a fan of the in-universe vehicles (sans the hyena bomber), but you've designed these really well! I especially like the articulation on the trident and how you made the y-wing cockpit.

On 6/1/2020 at 4:59 PM, ARC2149Nova said:

These are great! My favorites are the Trident and the Y-Wing.

The Twilight doesn't get a lot of love from the fandom (neither does the Hyena), but you did a good job on both of them!

I'd love to see more of these. :thumbup:

Many thanks - I always loved the Clone Wars. if you want to see more search for my name on the boards and there are plaenty of other threads for the movies, Rebels, Resistance etc.

On 6/1/2020 at 6:09 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

I've never been a fan of the in-universe vehicles (sans the hyena bomber), but you've designed these really well! I especially like the articulation on the trident and how you made the y-wing cockpit.

thanks again - I am always trying to find different techniques to build things/solve problems.

I love these! I've always had a soft spot for micro builds and yours do a wonderful job of scratching my itch! Some micro builds really revolve around some kind of crazy parts usage that makes you think "that's really cool!" but quite often they are just a gimmick and the actual shaping of the vehicles are very approximate. Not so with your tiny vessels that very cleanly capture the essence of their larger counterparts. You really make it look easy and at no point was I under the impression of "he had to make that compromise because it's a micro build". No, everything fits together wonderfully and you paid attention to every possible angle of your builds. For example I really like how neatly the wing of the Twilight folds fits so snugly when it is folded and how that plate with handle comes from an angle you don't expect. Or how the cheese slopes on the Trident perfectly follow the contour of the bottom cone. Or how you took the effort to create that continuous blue stripe accross the center of the Hyena, no matter how much more difficult it makes the structural challenges. And of course how you captured the gentle slope of the fuselage of the Y-wing, a technique you would normally only see in UCS scale models but that you managed to get down to this small scale. Very nice stuff!

Your builds also work very inspirational. When watching them, I immediately had some thoughts to just maybe improve them a bit more...
- For the Twilight, maybe you could use a 1x2 plate with the handle on the long side and with two supports in the middle instead of the 1x2 plate with door rail. Those supports would mimick the kind of fins you see in the "mouth" of the reference vehicle.
- Also for the Twilight, you could replace the 1x1 cheese slope with a 1x1 tile and instead place the cheese slope one brick more towards the front of the ship. That would replicate the shape of the ship more accurately, I think.
- For the Trident, it could be cool to use one of these 1x1 tiles with Arkenstone print as a cockpit, or one of those now 1x1 round jewel tiles from Dots to make it look more mechanical than organic.
- For the Y-wing, you could use these 1x2 curved slopes with 45 degree cut on the rear fuselage to suggest the diagonal shaping and coloring in that part, tying in nicely with the head of the ship. Also, any particular reason you used that grey grill tile? It doesn't appear on the source model, but I agree that it does give some more interest to your model.
- For the Hyena, that could maybe be the perfect opportunity to use the new macaroni tiles to smooth everything off. The body is two plates thick in some places already, so it would make it more uniform.

Maybe some extra toughts to add to the great number of awesome decisions you already made to create these gems. Keep'em coming, please!

@BEAVeRMany thanks for the kind words.  Yes, I try not to compromise too much and get as much detail in as possible.  Usually a few parts (or part) drive the shape of the model but I do try and avoid gimmicks and using a certain part just for the sake of it.  Sometimes I do get a eureka moment with a certain part(s) like the nose of the Y-Wing but as you say it needs to fit the source material.  One thing I have been doing more recently is to have schematics of the source material on the computer screen where possible and try and match the silhouette from all angles with any prototype I am building.  

These models were updates of older models so I was not looking to rebuild too much.  I would love to see your critique of the newer models in the other threads from Resistance, Rebels, The Mandalorian and the movies!  Just search my username - you would probably get sore fingers typing. :classic:

Addressing your points:

8 hours ago, BEAVeR said:

- For the Twilight, maybe you could use a 1x2 plate with the handle on the long side and with two supports in the middle instead of the 1x2 plate with door rail. Those supports would mimick the kind of fins you see in the "mouth" of the reference vehicle.

I initialliy had that part but felt it did not leave a big enough gap so I went with the door rail.  Matter of taste I suppose.

- Also for the Twilight, you could replace the 1x1 cheese slope with a 1x1 tile and instead place the cheese slope one brick more towards the front of the ship. That would replicate the shape of the ship more accurately, I think.

This was one of those small compomises that you need to make building in such a small scale.  The slope does both jobs so to speak.  I cannot move it forward with the current construction as it would effect how other parts are held together.  there is a 1 x2 brick with studs on sides in there which attaches to the headlight bricks at the front.

- For the Trident, it could be cool to use one of these 1x1 tiles with Arkenstone print as a cockpit, or one of those now 1x1 round jewel tiles from Dots to make it look more mechanical than organic.

I will get one of those jewel pieces out of my sons collection and see how it looks.  I think it would stick out further though.  

- For the Y-wing, you could use these 1x2 curved slopes with 45 degree cut on the rear fuselage to suggest the diagonal shaping and coloring in that part, tying in nicely with the head of the ship. Also, any particular reason you used that grey grill tile? It doesn't appear on the source model, but I agree that it does give some more interest to your model.

Those slopes would just make the tiny gap at the back where the engines are attached by brackets look wider I think.  I will see how it looks.  The grey tile was just for a bit of contrast and to show the vent more clearly which is in the source.

- For the Hyena, that could maybe be the perfect opportunity to use the new macaroni tiles to smooth everything off. The body is two plates thick in some places already, so it would make it more uniform.

This was the one I did almost completely rebuild and I did start tiling it all in at first.  It just seemed too thick afterwards and made the head on the right appear too small-  I didn't want to raise that another stud.

Maybe some extra toughts to add to the great number of awesome decisions you already made to create these gems. Keep'em coming, please!

Any feedback is appreciated and with lockdown I have plenty of models at least in the prototype stage.

Edited by obijon

On 6/1/2020 at 5:55 PM, obijon said:

This one is so old the cheese slopes were not available when it was first built

Cheese slopes in red are available since 2004, while The Clone Wars movie, where the Trident makes its first appearance, came out in 2008.

my bad, I was not aware of them then when it was built.  I was not buying sets at that time.  I am more aware of new parts now as my 7 year-old monster loves his LEGO.  Either way it is an old model!

Hi all

Having finished re-watching Clone Wars there are plenty more ships to build.  And if, heaven forbid, any of you have not watched this brilliant show I highly recommend watching (and Rebels but not Resistance!  :wink:).  Of these ships here are the first two:

ARQUITENS-CLASS LIGHT CRUISER

The Arquitens-class light cruiser, also known as the Jedi light cruiser or Republic light cruiser and later the Imperial light cruiser, was a line of light cruisers designed by Kuat Drive Yards that saw extensive service with the Republic Navy during the Clone Wars. In appearance it resembles a cross between the Consular-Class cruiser seen in Ep. I and the Venator-Class Star Destroyer seen in Ep. III with its size somewhere in between. 

This model uses a combination of bricks with studs on sides and plates to get the shape of this ship.  There are no real tricks used but it is quite a nice looking little model.  I have also made a custom Clone Naval Officer for the display.

arquitens1.jpegarquitens2.jpegarquitens3.jpegarquitens4.jpegarquitens5.jpegarquitens6.jpegarquitensdisplay.jpegclonenavalofficer.jpeg

FREECO BIKE

The CK-6 Swoop, or Freeco Bike, was a speeder bike specially adapted to operate effectively in cold environments. It was a swift speeder that could function in cold weather the likes of which would not allow standard speeders to operate. The bike featured an insulated and heated cockpit

This is a simple little build and uses a lot of trans-clear pieces to create the bubble cockpit.  The figure is a custom which I bought from ebay so I can’t take credit for the lovely Cold Assault Trooper figure.

freecobike1.jpegfreecobike2.jpegfreecobike3.jpegfreecobike4.jpegfreecobike5.jpegfreecobike6.jpeg

freecobikedisplay.jpeg

As always feel free to let me know what you think.

More soon,

Jon

Edited by obijon

T-6 SHUTTLE

Hi again everyone,

A quick model this time and keeping up the Republic theme from Clone Wars it is the T-6 Shuttle.  No fancy building tricks with this one.  It just uses plates and slope bricks. 

When I first thought about building this one I tried to incorporate the spinning cockpit and engine block as one section.  The model just started to grow too big for my liking or looked too blocky.  In the end I just made the cockpit and 3 engines easy to move (twist on a single stud) so the shuttle could be shown in flight and landing configuration.  It is just a shame that cockpit piece does not come in white.  Overall, it all works well enough.  I like the use of the technic pins and clip tiles as the landing gear.  I can’t believe I hadn’t thought of that before!

Again, let me know what you think about this and any other models in this thread.

Cheers

Jon

t-6shuttle1.jpegt-6shuttle2.jpegt-6shuttle3.jpegt-6shuttle4.jpegt-6shuttle5.jpegt-6shuttle6.jpegt-6shuttledisplay.jpeg

Hello again everyone

Still sticking with the Clone Wars this time and more specifically the Zillo Beast arc from Season Two with two new models; the H-2 Executive Shuttle and the RX-200 Assault Tank or “Stun Tank”. 

After these two I will be back to some live action models but I will be coming back to the 3 animated series later as I have finished my re-watch of Clone Wars and Rebels (no plans to re-watch Resistance) so if you are fans of these animated series (and MINI models!) keep an eye out.

let me know what you thinka bout these two (or any of the others).

Jon

H-2 EXECUTIVE SHUTTLE

The H-2 executive shuttle was a shuttle model that was used by both sides during the Clone Wars. Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine made use of his personal shuttle of the model as a means of escape during the Zillo Beast incident.

This is quite a simple little build with no real tricks.  I have used the 1x1 wedge pieces for the “beak” at the front and a radar dish on top of a 2x2 round tile for the cockpit.  The engines are attached by using a 1x3 plate on top of a 1x2 technic brick which also allows for the slope at the back to be attached. I have the wings folded up in landing configuration (I think on Sheev’s shuttle they folded sideways to fit in his hangar) as it was too tricky to make it otherwise in this scale and other versions of this shuttle seen during the series fold upwards so that’s how I went! Maybe they can fold either way in Universe!

h2shuttle1.jpegh2shuttle2.jpegh2shuttle3.jpegh2shuttle4.jpegh2shuttle5.jpegh2shuttle6.jpegh2shuttledisplay.jpeg

RX-200 ASSAULT “STUN” TANK

The stun tanks were used by the Republic during the Battle of Malastare, designed to disable enemy fighters before or while they were in flight. This tactic proved dangerous, however, as if the stun laser was used on a flying starfighter, there was the risk of it crashing on the troops below.

The tanks were later rushed into service to stop a massive Zillo Beast's rampage, on both Malastare and Coruscant, by firing the stun lasers at the weak points in its scales to stun the beast's nervous system into submission.

Again there are no real tricks on this little model but I love how this one has turned out.  I have managed to include most of the detail in this tiny little model and the dimensions are pretty much spot on looking at concept art and specifications etc.  I think there is also just enough Republic Red in there! The only slight trick is how the middle “nose” has been attached.  It is attached to one of those 2x3 plates with a hole.  The cannon reminds me of the SPHA-T from Ep. II (so that is now on my to-do-list) and is just attached to the body using a round 2x2 tile with hole.

stuntank1.jpegstuntank2.jpegstuntank3.jpegstuntank4.jpegstuntank5.jpegstuntank6.jpegstuntankdisplay.jpeg

GOJI-DF TURTLE TANKER

Hello again everyone

And now for something completely different………….as someone once said!

It’s back to the Clone Wars with this model and the Turtle Tanker from the Brothers arc.  During the Clone Wars, a Turtle Tanker on Stobar was commandeered by Savage Opress, a Nightbrother seeking to reunite himself with his brother, the former Sith once known as Darth Maul.

The Goji-DF, also known as the Turtle Tanker, was a utilitarian starship manufactured by the Corellian Mining Corporation and was used throughout the galaxy during the Clone Wars, with spacious holds that could be partitioned to allow for simultaneous transport of a variety of cargo. What makes this ship different is that the Turtle Tanker featured all-terrain legs to assist in landing on worlds with minimal or no docking facilities, with the feet containing its engines. The ship's minimal cockpit doubled as an escape pod; a secondary command module within the main tanker allowed it to be piloted even without the cockpit.  The cargo pod is also detachable leaving just a walker/ship.

I wanted to build a little model which would keep all of the above features.   The cockpit is detachable as is the cargo pod just leaving the walker section.  This model (the cargo section especially) had the potential to become very big so I decided to try and keep it simple and use those 3 x4 wedges for the sides and rear slope and just closed the gaps with some plates.  There are no really clever techniques on this one it was really down to parts choice.

I think it works pretty well all in all.  Let me know what you think.

Jon

turtletanker1.jpegturtletanker2.jpegturtletanker3.jpegturtletanker4.jpegturtletanker5.jpegturtletanker6.jpegturtletankercomponents.jpegturtletankerdisplay.jpeg