Sign in to follow this  
Paperinik77pk

[MOC] DB E03-001 12v - in "Blue Era" style

Hi all,

I gave another try to the new 12-wheeler chassis, and this time  I could not resist to recreate another iconic locomotive.

The real DB E03 is based on a CoCo wheel arrangement, so the 7740 locomotive was more accurate on this aspect. But I'm in the "Blue Era" , so I am a bit limited to the 4,5v/12v motor size :laugh: and "rigidity". Therefore, my DB E03 is still a 12-wheeler, but in a BoBoBo-like arrangement. Don't tell anyone! :wink:

Lego DB E03-001 12v - Blue Era

This is my first DB E03 - I've never built one in other styles or sizes, apart the 7740. I chosed the first one produced since i liked that silver middle line separating the red and the yellow parts.

It can be built also as a DB E103,  removing the gray line in the middle of the body, adding a second line of lateral grilles, and changing the pantographs to the one-armed model (it was already used in the late 70s - so it fits the Blue Era).

The correct wagons for this one could easily be the Rheingold ones, but in red/yellow color scheme. They should be a bit longer too. In this case, they would be also a lot heavier, I wonder if the 12v motor can pull such heavy things on highly-uneffective wheels lof the time.

103_001_Luetzel_06052006

I hope you like it!  :laugh:

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Neat work as always!
The 7740 was a dream of my childhood days... but with this thing it would have been even more gorgeous!

On 4/9/2020 at 9:52 PM, Tenderlok said:

Neat work as always!
The 7740 was a dream of my childhood days... but with this thing it would have been even more gorgeous!

Thank you Sven!!! I've always wanted to recreate the E03 / E103 at the time - but it was quite hard using the original parts from the 80s (doors and so on) - so in the end all my tentatives were always resembling the 7740 !!! So I gave up :laugh:

Ciao!

Davide

On 4/10/2020 at 4:19 PM, zephyr1934 said:

The amount of curves you manage to squeeze in to six wide using (almost) only rectangular bricks is incredible.

Thanks Zephyr!!! It seems strange, but all credits must go to the macaroni parts...they give the "initial round shape" and then all the other square parts seem automatically "smoothed". I don't know - it is something I've noticed on the ESSO Engine on book 242. I use the very same way to build the "noses" of these locomotives, plus the stickers for headlights. If you try to imagine the same cabin built without macaroni parts...it will be too square.*huh*

I am tempted to build this in "Gray Era" style, but will the 7740 ever forgive me for such an attempt? :laugh:

Ciao!

Davide