Sign in to follow this  
Feuer Zug

GP39-2 and signals

John looked at the signals ahead and said, "Bob, I know I'm the rookie conductor and you guys like to joke with me, but seriously, what do those signals mean?"

49611707447_ed40ec4a55_c.jpg

Bob really took a hard look and then put the throttle of the GP39-2 into regenerative braking and slowed the train. "Those," he replied, "Means a roadmaster is out there trying to trick both of us." As the train halted short of the first red light, they heard a low moaning whistle from beside them. Moments later, a British steam locomotive roared by. "And that means we're not in Kansas anymore," he added, looking around for Rod Serling.

49611450571_f6abe20161_c.jpg

I have been recently working on some trackside structures for my layout. I've built a mix of signals and a box for local control. From left to right, the overhead cantilever bridge is a Pennsylvania Railroad style with PRR position light signal on the left indicating stop and a modern hooded color light signal on the right indicating proceed. Under the signal bridge is a US style level railroad crossing signal (note the arm pivots to block the road), the back side of a Southern Pacific lower quadrant semaphore, a Southern Pacific lower quadrant semaphore with distant signal arm in the proceed position, a Deutsche Bahn semaphore signal in the Hp 0 (stop) position, a Deutsche Bahn semaphore signal in the Hp 1 (proceed) position, a US style signal indicating stop, a US searchlight style indicating clear, and a US color light "Darth Vader" signal indicating proceed.

49610933128_c6026b7cd7_c.jpg

The GP39-2 is obviously based off of set 60052 (acquired a mostly complete extra). I build a custom frame and then modified it to look more correct as a CSX local freight locomotive. It retains the PF internals and motor.

49610933223_9f17fe1e88_c.jpg

49611707347_172ce266ca_c.jpg

49611451141_4e6902c10c_c.jpg

This signal tower is based on a few I saw while traveling around England and Scotland. The ground floor is empty, but could be easily filled with tools and other MoW equipment. The first floor has 'armstrong' levers to actuate signals and switches. Included is a coffee pot and radiator.

49610932983_78fd058f89_c.jpg

49610932943_1ccebaf921_c.jpg

1 hour ago, Feuer Zug said:

As the train halted short of the first red light, they heard a low moaning whistle from beside them. Moments later, a British steam locomotive roared by. "And that means we're not in Kansas anymore,"

Teehee... though not necessarily...

Flying-Scotsman-near-Green-Bay-Wisconsin

Wandering back on topic, nice signal work

A good and amusingly-presented selection there! The lower quadrant semaphores could easily be of GWR stock, and the signal box looks like a tidy, could-fit-anywhere model. If the 'box is operating these signals mechanically then the lower room should be full of the interlocking equipment, along with all manner of tools and equipment piled up in the dry.

And for your next challenge, why not try to make some of these signals work!

21 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Teehee... though not necessarily...

Wandering back on topic, nice signal work

Yes, but that was a long time ago. That's why I referenced the Twilight Zone. And with all those signals, it would be. Thanks

21 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Nice! The signal box looks excellent.

Thanks, it was built on a lark.

14 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

What a beautiful signal box! :wub:

I like the collection of your train signals too :thumbup:

Thank you. That's what a PAB cup of all masonry bricks will do.

17 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

A good and amusingly-presented selection there! The lower quadrant semaphores could easily be of GWR stock, and the signal box looks like a tidy, could-fit-anywhere model. If the 'box is operating these signals mechanically then the lower room should be full of the interlocking equipment, along with all manner of tools and equipment piled up in the dry.

And for your next challenge, why not try to make some of these signals work!

You're right, they could be GWR semaphores. I would have to work on the signal tower for them as they had some interesting curves. And I'll see what I can do for the interlocking equipment and tool. I'll think about your challenge.

4 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Nice signals and signal tower. 

Appreciate the kudos.