Hi I have been learning about gear ratio designs for a while. I have been working on understanding the differential gear mechanism. It's fascinating once you start analysing and understanding how much you can do with this amazing device. In this video I briefly talk about why and when it was invented and then go over the mathematical relationship between the axles to allow easier designs of desired gear ratios. I illustrate a design of a 17:1 gear ratio and show a list of other potential design options for creating any of the prime numbers up to 53. Of course you can probably create any prime number but will explore that in a later video.

On 2/13/2020 at 11:44 PM, 1980SomethingSpaceGuy said:

Well done ! Concise, informational, good job ! 

.Hey 1980SomethingSpaceGuy. Glad you liked it. I am working on part 2 where I look into some computer generated optimized solutions for 1:P (p=prime) ratios using 1 differential gear. Have some interesting preliminary results already.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:16 PM, SamuelYsc said:

This is truly clever way to make the gear ratios, nice and thanks for the sharing!

Hi Samuel, Thanks glad you got something out of it. Of course the truly clever guy was the engineer Onésiphore Pecqueur from 1827. The differential is one of the most versatile gear configurations while still being relatively simple..

This is a nice explanation! The principle is simple, but a good, clear demonstration is always helpful. 

On 2/19/2020 at 9:36 PM, piterx said:

Thats awesome dude! 

On 2/19/2020 at 9:46 PM, Ludo Visser said:

This is a nice explanation! The principle is simple, but a good, clear demonstration is always helpful. 

Hi Ludo & Piterx, thanks for the feedback and glad you liked it. It's not easy making videos lol. I have posted a follow up video about designing a 1:N gear ratio for N=prime, and give all solutions for N < 1000.