Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

8 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

Really? My wife and I watched it 2-3 months ago and I thought it was tolerable at the cinema, but through repeat viewings were just unwatchable.

It's been the opposite for a lot of people but I can easily see someone souring on it (even more) after repeat viewings. I think it definitely suffers from being mostly setup for things that won't pay off for a while. Being an early chapter of a multi-part story is not a thankful position since it still has to work on its own, which CoG not always succeeds at. However, I think public opinion may change a bit once the third part contextualises a few things (especially the controversial ending).

8 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

I kept seeing crikital.hit's posts and kept getting excited about things. I quickly realised he was a turd pasting false leaks. It's enough though that you see it and get that little jolt of excitement. But then kills it when you see his (or her) account attached to the "leak"

The stuff they keep posting gets more ridiculous every time :laugh_hard: They've definitely entered parody territory now

Edited by Lego-Freak

12 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

Really? My wife and I watched it 2-3 months ago and I thought it was tolerable at the cinema, but through repeat viewings were just unwatchable.

Yeah its a terribly written mess of a movie.

3 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

It's been the opposite for a lot of people but I can easily see someone souring on it (even more) after repeat viewings. I think it definitely suffers from being mostly setup for things that won't pay off for a while. Being an early chapter of a multi-part story is not a thankful position since it still has to work on its own, which CoG not always succeeds at. However, I think public opinion may change a bit once the third part contextualises a few things (especially the controversial ending).

I really don't think another movie will make this one seem better. They should pretend this one never happen :laugh: Hoping the new game is great and then we might get more of them.

5 hours ago, Vindicare said:

My favorite part of that leak was the price. It could be anywhere from $50 to $120.

Well umm... the less money the better

2 hours ago, Micmac said:

Yeah its a terribly written mess of a movie.

I really don't think another movie will make this one seem better. They should pretend this one never happen :laugh: Hoping the new game is great and then we might get more of them.

It could... i may be in the minority, but i loved rise of Skywalker and absolutely hated the last jedi with a passion. But i found since the last one came out, it made last jedi not feel so bad. I know lots of people hated rise of Skywalker, but it worked for me. So maybe if the next movie is great and makes the set up worth it, it might feel better. But still as Lego-freak said, should really be able to stand on its own.

4 hours ago, chris6507 said:

It could... i may be in the minority, but i loved rise of Skywalker and absolutely hated the last jedi with a passion. But i found since the last one came out, it made last jedi not feel so bad. I know lots of people hated rise of Skywalker, but it worked for me. So maybe if the next movie is great and makes the set up worth it, it might feel better. But still as Lego-freak said, should really be able to stand on its own.

I'm all for giving a movie another go but when its bad its not worth wasting time on it. And the last two star wars movies were in the same boat, awful as well. No second viewing required for that rubbish. Rant over.

Looking forward to seeing what the book sets look like. Not expecting much but hopefully some cool stickers and maybe new prints for some figures.

11 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

I can't really say it sold well. Large sets usually sell out in day 1

Which it did in quite a few countries, LEGO just looked at their history and learned to produce more sets than they'd usually do.

7 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

However, I think public opinion may change a bit once the third part contextualises a few things (especially the controversial ending).

I never really understood why the ending was so controversial and ''breaking canon''. Manipulating people is basically all Grindelwald does, why the hell wouldn't he be lying to Credence? :laugh_hard:

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I never really understood why the ending was so controversial and ''breaking canon''. Manipulating people is basically all Grindelwald does, why the hell wouldn't he be lying to Credence? :laugh_hard:

If what he says is true, it does break book canon because the timeline doesn‘t add up (which CoG is guilty of anyway, if the McGonagall we‘re seeing is Minerva). I‘m also of the persuasion that he‘s lying in order to rile Credence up against Dumbledore, but then there‘s the phoenix thing... I hope FB3 explains it well

Edited by Lego-Freak

Haven’t been on here for a while - sets have all been released, and the last thing I heard those book things leaked? Anything else I missed?

Anyway. I have one full set of HP CMF series 2 available and am happy to sell to someone in the UK - no markups, just the figs plus postage. I had originally sold to someone, but that fell through so it’s available again. Also have some duplicate figs so just let me know which ones you want and we can work something out.

4 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Which it did in quite a few countries, LEGO just looked at their history and learned to produce more sets than they'd usually do.

The piano sold out day 1 in almost all countries

Just now, JintaiZ said:

The piano sold out day 1 in almost all countries

That is a good point, however I assume Lego expected to sell more of the DA than the piano and could easily have made 10 times the amount of DA sets before the release :shrug_oh_well:

2 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

That is a good point, however I assume Lego expected to sell more of the DA than the piano and could easily have made 10 times the amount of DA sets before the release :shrug_oh_well:

But then we just realized 71043 sold better...

To be frank, this discussion is entirely pointless. A set being sold out or not is a useless indicator of success if we don‘t know the production capacity, which is the case. We‘ll only know once the set goes EOL, and even that one is not a flawless metric. TLG doesn‘t want the success of individual sets to become public knowledge, and rightfully so IMO :wink: 

3 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

If what he says is true, it does break book canon because the timeline doesn‘t add up (which CoG is guilty of anyway, if the McGonagall we‘re seeing is Minerva). I‘m also of the persuasion that he‘s lying in order to rile Credence up against Dumbledore, but then there‘s the phoenix thing... I hope FB3 explains it well

Of course it would break canon if Grindy was telling the truth but that scene just never struck me as him being honest with Credence. Grindelwald can't take on Dumbledore himself and he even admits that Credence is the only one strong enough to take him on. Thing is that Credence isn't one to attack people without reason (at least not now that he's got his powers under control) so obviously Grindelwald would have to give him a good reason to want to attack Dumbledore :shrug_oh_well: But we'll know wether he's lying or not when the other movies come out in a decade or so :tongue:

30 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

To be frank, this discussion is entirely pointless. A set being sold out or not is a useless indicator of success if we don‘t know the production capacity, which is the case. We‘ll only know once the set goes EOL, and even that one is not a flawless metric. TLG doesn‘t want the success of individual sets to become public knowledge, and rightfully so IMO :wink: 

Why do you say TLG wouldn't want the success of individual sets to be known? Maybe i'm just tired, but just not quite comprehending what you are implying the benefit of keeping that information to themselves is. And i'm genuinely intrigued now! Lol.

24 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

Why do you say TLG wouldn't want the success of individual sets to be known? 

Because certain Chinese companies would surely benefit from that, I'd say that's quite obvious :tongue:

46 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Because certain Chinese companies would surely benefit from that, I'd say that's quite obvious :tongue:

Exactly. If the bootleggers knew how well each individual set sells, they'd know exactly what to copy and capitalise on. Plus I can't imagine the licensers being happy that everyone knows how well a specific set / vehicle / character sold since that sort of thing could easily generate bad publicity. You don't see many companies outright stating how well (or poorly) individual products did, except for movies and video games that is.

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

But we'll know wether he's lying or not when the other movies come out in a decade or so :tongue:

I agree with your points, it's just the phoenix that confuses me. Why would a phoenix come to him if he's not a Dumbledore? I hope they can explain that without having to resort to retcons (like CoG did in other places).

4 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

@Lego-Freak - Actually, they copy everything, even retired ones

That's obvious, every LEGO fan knows that. But TLG outright stating which sets sell best gives those bootleg companies the means to focus on their knockoff versions of those sets and improve their profit.

1 minute ago, Guyon2002 said:

That's obvious, every LEGO fan knows that. But TLG outright stating which sets sell best gives those bootleg companies the means to focus on their knockoff versions of those sets and improve their profit.

But the ones that doesn't sell well is still being copied. Even MOCs are.

Just now, JintaiZ said:

But the ones that doesn't sell well is still being copied. Even MOCs are.

Nobody said they weren't. But if LEGO releases salenumbers for individual sets those companies can just go through it to find out which sets sell best and increase production on those, most likely resulting in a larger profit. It's a basic example of how demand steers a business :def_shrug:

3 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Just to add a nugget to the pointless discussion...:tongue: On Brickset, 529 people own the Grand Piano while 1262 own DA. Obviously it’s not an accurate metric of set ownership, but is an interesting glimpse. I was surprised only 500 were listed as owned. 

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Of course it would break canon if Grindy was telling the truth but that scene just never struck me as him being honest with Credence. Grindelwald can't take on Dumbledore himself and he even admits that Credence is the only one strong enough to take him on. Thing is that Credence isn't one to attack people without reason (at least not now that he's got his powers under control) so obviously Grindelwald would have to give him a good reason to want to attack Dumbledore :shrug_oh_well: But we'll know wether he's lying or not when the other movies come out in a decade or so :tongue:

Right? The basis of Grindelwald & Credence’s relationship is manipulation. Grindelwald wasn’t even himself interacting with Credence throughout the first.

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

I agree with your points, it's just the phoenix that confuses me. Why would a phoenix come to him if he's not a Dumbledore? I hope they can explain that without having to resort to retcons (like CoG did in other places).

Fawkes came to Harry in his time of need. In a weird way, considering who gave him the Phoenix, maybe Credence needed it as well. 

6 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

Fawkes came to Harry in his time of need. In a weird way, considering who gave him the Phoenix, maybe Credence needed it as well. 

Good point. In that sense, the phoenix setup in the beginning of the film might be a red herring then, in order to add credence (pun intended) to Grindelwald's claims. Either way, FB3 has some 'splaining to do: If Credence is not Aurelius, who is he then? Is Aurelius completely made up or did he exist after all? Why is Yusuf not dead? How did Queenie not realise what Grindelwald was up to? Is he that good at occlumency? How come there are this many unanswered questions? :laugh_hard:

19 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

How did Queenie not realise what Grindelwald was up to? Is he that good at occlumency?

Friendly reminder that Lord Voldemort had a reputation of being ''the greatest legillimens alive'' and even he couldn't break into Grindelwalds mind. So yeah, he was that good at occlumency.

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

Good point. In that sense, the phoenix setup in the beginning of the film might be a red herring then, in order to add credence (pun intended) to Grindelwald's claims. Either way, FB3 has some 'splaining to do: If Credence is not Aurelius, who is he then? Is Aurelius completely made up or did he exist after all? Why is Yusuf not dead? How did Queenie not realise what Grindelwald was up to? Is he that good at occlumency? How come there are this many unanswered questions? :laugh_hard:

Any good story will leave you with a lot of questions in the middle of it. Credence went from possibly being a LeStrange to possibly being a Dumbledore, so who knows if he’s truly someone or a lost nobody simply being used as a form of revenge. As for Queenie, “right” time, “right” place. She was a bit lost & vulnerable at that time, her future kinda came crashing down(marriage & possibly her relationship) & Grindelwald preached of a place to belong.

15 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Yes, I am sure several people in the WW can have a phoenix not only the Dumbledore family.

13 hours ago, Vindicare said:

As for Queenie, “right” time, “right” place. She was a bit lost & vulnerable at that time, her future kinda came crashing down(marriage & possibly her relationship) & Grindelwald preached of a place to belong.

"I love Queenie" and can never get enough of her smile, but a lot of people have mental disorders and she is clearly one of them :sadnew: If you compare the first movie with the second she is clearly not herself in the latter. She can not be with the man she loves, she is most likely pregnant and this is almost a 100 year ago. On top of that she can hear what everyone else is thinking so that would be enough to drive anyone mental as Ron would have put it. All in all that makes her a easy pray for Grindelwald. It will be interesting to see how her story develops if she disappears into the darkness or find her way back to the light with her friends and family :shrug_oh_well:

Edited by Roebuck
she