Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Just now, bluedog1111 said:

I think the grand piano would have sold better for 2 reasons 1 it is cheaper 2 people who aren't HP fans would still pick it up. 

I went to my LEGO store the day the piano came out and it was sold out before I got to the front of the line. I think they had 15 or so sets. I went back a week later and asked about it, and the employee said the demand for it is crazy. He said they were getting stock the following Wednesday and that people were going to be lined up for it - a full two weeks after its release date.

4 minutes ago, bluedog1111 said:

I think the grand piano would have sold better for 2 reasons 1 it is cheaper 2 people who aren't HP fans would still pick it up. 

I personally disagree, and I was the main audience for the Ideas Piano! 

1. If price is an issue, the person won’t get either set. If they are willing to pay 350, then they are willing to pay 400.

2. The piano is VERY expensive for what you get in lost people’s lives yes. DA is pretty easily justified with what you’re getting. 
3. Not an HP fan =/= piano fan. Both are specific markets, but piano isn’t even more niche 

3 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

According to thebrickfan, it was "available at LEGO Brand Stores and Shop@Home from November 9-21 with purchases of $99 or more".

That sounds right. November 2018 was definitely when I bought the Hogwarts D2C, and I specifically waited until they finally announced the Diagon Alley GWP to get it. 

1 minute ago, YetiZombie said:

I went to my LEGO store the day the piano came out and it was sold out before I got to the front of the line. I think they had 15 or so sets. I went back a week later and asked about it, and the employee said the demand for it is crazy. He said they were getting stock the following Wednesday and that people were going to be lined up for it - a full two weeks after its release date.

Hmmm, well maybe I’m wrong. Wish Lego gave out sales numbers.

Regardless, I think Diagon Alley is going to be a smash hit. And hopefully that’s true so they continue to invest in it!

Just now, Accio Lego said:

That sounds right. November 2018 was definitely when I bought the Hogwarts D2C, and I specifically waited until they finally announced the Diagon Alley GWP to get it. 

When did we figure out that that GWP was coming? Olivander was leaked early but not sure when the connection between the two became clear

I'll get this on day one (provided the site doesn't crap out, of course), but it definitely needs some modding, particularly the pink cube and the flat roofs. The problem with the Quiddich store seems to be a combination of its large size, the eye-catching color, its prominent place in the box art and how too much of it is blank wall. The color isn't that bad (but the old pink or the flesh color could have worked better), but I'll need to add one or two more windows. Also, the pink stripe along the left of the ground floor (while the right is dark grey) looks a bit sloppy.

The flat roofs looks VERY bad, making it resemble an American small-town main street - with installed lights and some HDR photography it'll look just like a Kinkade painting. In pictures the buildings actually has four or five floors (often protruding over the lower ones) topped with elaborate sloped roofs, here they've just left this out. The parts they have included may be movie-accurate, but by leaving out the roofs it doesn't look like Diagon Alley at all. As such they'd been better off going for the "book" look with two- or three-floor buildings, so it looked more like a combination of the old DA set and the Medieval Market one.

Regarding the technic holes, I believe the sections are supposed to fit back-to-back to make complete buildings - Olivanders would fit with Flourish (at least if the stairs are removable) and Quiddich would fit with Weasly's (which also would explain the unsightly half-floor on top of Quiddich). I've actually done the same with most of my modulars for years now (to make the interior more accessible), except I also add a second set of holes further up (around the bottom of the upper floor) to make the buildings hold together when moved.*

Is the hairpiece for Olivander and the ice cream guy new? The older similar one (used for GBHQ Wenkman and Dimensions Dr Who) has more prominent sideburns. Also, when people talks about the "Dirty Harry" figure, it really reminds me of something like: "I know what you're thinking, did I cast six spells, or just five? Well, do you feel lucky, muggle?"

*See these old Norwegian forum posts for some examples:

City University (Town Hall) - http://brikkelauget.no/diskusjon/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3977
Parisian Restaurant - http://brikkelauget.no/diskusjon/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4147
Detective Office - http://brikkelauget.no/diskusjon/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4209

There are some even older ones on my Flickr page (https://www.flickr.com/photos/axeleng) - haven't updated it in ages.

Edited by axeleng
Added Flickr URL - used to be part of my signature

This is also a day one purchase for me. I'll be calling my local LEGO Store on the 31st to find out how many copies they'll have available. Hopefully they'll have enough so that I don't need to queue up too early. :wink:

On Instagram when asked if he designed the DA Marcos responded with a sunglasses emoji which people seem to be taking as a yes. 

Just now, MaxHeadroom said:

On Instagram when asked if he designed the DA Marcos responded with a sunglasses emoji which people seem to be taking as a yes. 

Yea I got that impression as well when I reached out to him. Glad he was involved - I love all of his work! And I feel DA has some similar builds to the Disney sets.

I love how he acknowledges it leaked:laugh:

12 minutes ago, axeleng said:

Regarding the technic holes, I believe the sections are supposed to fit back-to-back to make complete buildings - Olivanders would fit with Flourish (at least if the stairs are removable) and Quiddich would fit with Weasly's (which also would explain the unsightly half-floor on top of Quiddich). I've actually done the same with most of my modulars for years now (to make the interior more accessible), except I also add a second set of holes further up (around the bottom of the upper floor) to make the buildings hold together when moved.*

This would explain the DP spiderweb, as an interior would look weird with the knockturn alley entrance

I feel a bit bad about the leaks now that we see the creators asking for us not to spoil anything. :( Hope he doesn’t read this forum otherwise he’ll see a lot of nitpicking. Hope he knows how much we appreciate him!

I mentioned it before and I know it is movie accurate but I think its the layout of Quality Quidditch supplies that is annoying everyone and the colour just amplifies it. The building is all out of balance with one window bigger than the other and then the right side of the building continues over the daily prophet. It give it large areas of wall that stand out. I've done a quick photoshop alteration on my instagram account, I don't think I can put the image up here but have a look and see what you think

@micmacpadwac

There’s some good details in the clear pics. I’ll be the umpteenth person to say I also love that new wand box piece! A very minor nitpick but it would’ve been neat if the Daily Prophet had come with some different headlines rather than the same “Boy Who Lived” print from last year. 

On 8/21/2020 at 11:32 AM, Modal said:

I think you need to get their early, before they're technically open. I don't think you'll be able to call and reserve one for a set as big as this, as there will be plenty of people there in person ready to buy, and if you were allowed to just call they would get tons of reservations.

So yeah I was wondering this too. When hogwarts castle came out, the Lego store here in Vegas started taking preorders a week before release. But with the reveal coming next Monday, and it being rumored to drop the next day, I would assume that there is no preorder. Honestly, I am going to drive my happy megablocks to the store at 830am, the mall opens at 900am and LEGO doesn't open until 11am, so hopefully, if I do this right, I will be first on line for the set and won't have to worry if it will be gone when I get there. I'm mean I figure if there's no preorder, and I don't want to order from s@h, and I'm totally fine waiting almost 3-4 hours for the set, I don't see any other way. Also, friendly reminder everyone, no matter how you're planning on purchasing this set, login to your S@H VIP account and put some/all of your points to the coupons that takf money off the set itself. 

2 hours ago, sammy_zammy said:

Just buy what you want and can afford. No one is forcing you to have a complete collection! If you see a set and think “cool, I’d like that, I’ll make some space for it”, then save up and get it. If you think “no that’s not worth it” then don’t buy it! :)

Also, now now, too little space isn’t a valid excuse, your Lego will just have to displace other stuff :wink: I’d start with non essentials like the TV, cupboards, the toaster, and then if you need to you can move onto larger stuff like sofas and fridges. I moved my bed out last week - never going back to it.:tongue:

Hey, if living in a closet is good enough for Harry, it’s good enough for us AFOLs. 

16 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

Hey, if living in a closet is good enough for Harry, it’s good enough for us AFOLs. 

You forgot that Harry doesn't need the space to display a huge Diagon Alley and other Lego sets ?

6 hours ago, sebastian666 said:

I called my LEGO store and spoke with the manager. She was very helpful. She said the D2C Diagon Alley set will be available for sale in LEGO stores next Tuesday, September 1st - Back to Hogwarts Day. Unfortunately, they are only getting one case with four sets. Knowing how busy the LEGO in my local mall gets, I imagine it will be nearly impossible to snag one even if I get there early and wait. Several other new products are also releasing next Tuesday, so it will be busier than normal. The manager said she believes the sets will be made available online the night before they release in stores, so it sounds like that’s my best bet. I’m so freaking excited for this set... The new photos are absolutely amazing. Can’t wait to get through the bricks and start building! Also, do we have any word on our lost little Harry minifig? What set is he from?

Hey man, just do what I'm doing. I'll give you an example. The mall here in Vegas that has the LEGO store inside opens it's doors at 900am, and Lego is open at 1100am. I'm planning on being at the mall by 730-800am, this gives me a hour to get to the nearest door to the LEGO store for when the mall opens. Once I get there, I'm going to sit down, read a book, or play some breath of the wild/super metroid while waiting. I figure if I get there early enough, the. I should be the first/second one in line. Unfortunately, like you, the LEGO store here is very busy, so that's what I'm planning on doing come 9/1/2020.

24 minutes ago, Juturna said:

Hey man, just do what I'm doing. I'll give you an example. The mall here in Vegas that has the LEGO store inside opens it's doors at 900am, and Lego is open at 1100am. I'm planning on being at the mall by 730-800am, this gives me a hour to get to the nearest door to the LEGO store for when the mall opens. Once I get there, I'm going to sit down, read a book, or play some breath of the wild/super metroid while waiting. I figure if I get there early enough, the. I should be the first/second one in line. Unfortunately, like you, the LEGO store here is very busy, so that's what I'm planning on doing come 9/1/2020.

Doesn't matter who gets to the mall doors earliest, it's who can get from there to the LEGO store the fastest! :-D

Unfortunately for me the excitement is going to be sitting refreshing the page over and over and then the race to checkout the fastest. That's if it even shows up. Stayed up to purchase the Burrow day one online and it didn't become available for another 3 weeks. Lucky I didn't sit there refreshing til it came out! :-D

Wish I had a LEGO store near me. Nearest one for me is a flight or 12 hour boat ride! :-/

Edited by chris6507

2 hours ago, Modal said:

When did we figure out that that GWP was coming? Olivander was leaked early but not sure when the connection between the two became clear

I seem to recall the actual GWP set box leaked several weeks ahead of time. Wasn’t there actually a thing where a couple of stores accidentally sold the sets/had them taken by employees quite a while before the promotional period, and because we didn’t know when the real gwp period was going to be there were actually people on eBay selling them at a massive markup?

Looking at the pictures more, the only thing I strongly dislike about the minifigures is that they decided to use school robes for the designs for Harry, Ron, Hermione and Draco, whereas what they're wearing in that scene is actually capes over casual clothing. I feel like it would have been more accurate to give them cloth capes instead, especially since we've gotten some good cape designs in recent years that are actually pretty close to what's seen in the movie.

On one hand, I get the decision to go the route they did, it's cheaper and these are designs that can be reused elsewhere as needed (it's admittedly nice to get some variation to the robes). On the other hand it kind of sucks to put generic variants in a $400 set, especially when this would have been a good opportunity to remake Draco and Hermione's sweaters (Which debuted in the original line almost 20 years ago).

Also, it's funny to me that we got Quidditch uniforms for all houses before we got robes for all the houses. Who would have thought, lol.

Yea, I’m probably one of the few people here who really don’t mind small minifigure inconsistencies or having original prints, but the trio’s clothes are pretty underwhelming. It helps a lot knowing we will be getting the outfits that will fit better (PS Harry), but if that wasn’t known I would be a bit upset that we don’t have more specific and unique options. 

Edited by Modal

2 hours ago, Micmac said:

I mentioned it before and I know it is movie accurate but I think its the layout of Quality Quidditch supplies that is annoying everyone and the colour just amplifies it. The building is all out of balance with one window bigger than the other and then the right side of the building continues over the daily prophet. It give it large areas of wall that stand out. I've done a quick photoshop alteration on my instagram account, I don't think I can put the image up here but have a look and see what you think

@micmacpadwac

Wow, that made such a huge difference! I've already taken several of your builds as my inspiration for my Hogwarts, and now I'm going to be doing that with Diagon Alley too. Seriously, it looks SO much better - everything looks so much more balanced. 

@micmacpadwac

You did it, you fixed the cube.

@micmacpadwac

Looks great! I wonder how easy this will be to do without ruining the interior, however. 

I find it annoying that this shape of the building had to happen so it can connect with WWW. I’m sure the majority of people getting this set want to display it horizontally with the interiors stick out in the back.

We now know what the GWPs will be: Hagrid and Buckbeak Brickheadz for $100+ LEGO Harry Potter purchases, and the Owl Delivery bagged set for $40+ in-store purchases.

So where is our lost little Harry minifig in his Year 1 Muggle clothes from??? What does everyone think?

Could we be getting a small Leaky Cauldron build with the brick wall that is so heavily featured in all the promo materials? Is Gringott’s being released this year? Or Borgin and Burke’s? Maybe a set with Madam Malkin’s (featuring Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff robes) and Eylops Owl Emporium?

There are so many possible sets this little minifig could be from. This is the biggest mystery of the year for me... We were not anticipating another set! Is the HP-4 $30 code and price point a clue? I have so many Questions... Questions that need answering!