Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, Modal said:

So how confident are we on the Brick Wall GWP? Was the micro scale DA a GWP for the entire month of September 2018?

For some inexplicable reason, the DA GWP was available in November instead of being a bonus when ordering the Hogwarts D2C :ugh: Since I always buy stuff on day one, I then had to order one copy from bricklink :tongue: Let‘s hope it‘s released alongside the D2C this time!

Edited by Lego-Freak

51 minutes ago, Modal said:

So how confident are we on the Brick Wall GWP? Was the micro scale DA a GWP for the entire month of September 2018?

It was a regular gwp in November as opposed to coming out in connection with the Hogwarts D2C. Personally, I hope if it does come out alongside the DA set that getting it is just a matter of spending above a certain point, or at least just above a certain point on Harry Potter sets. Diagon Alley is going to sell out fast, so it doesn’t seem fair to put that strict a limit on who can get the gwp (I mean, it’s one thing when the gwp is something small and more collectors focused like a keychain or embroidered patch, but when it’s an actual mini set that plenty of kids would want? Not cool.)

4 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

It was a regular gwp in November as opposed to coming out in connection with the Hogwarts D2C. Personally, I hope if it does come out alongside the DA set that getting it is just a matter of spending above a certain point, or at least just above a certain point on Harry Potter sets. Diagon Alley is going to sell out fast, so it doesn’t seem fair to put that strict a limit on who can get the gwp (I mean, it’s one thing when the gwp is something small and more collectors focused like a keychain or embroidered patch, but when it’s an actual mini set that plenty of kids would want? Not cool.)

Not to mention the fact that if the Diagon Alley release is anything like the rest of the sets were. We couldn't order the sets for over 3 weeks in Australia. So I missed out on a cool LEGO hot rod with two minifigures and got a crappy microscale lamborghini. I was so annoyed. Don't understand why LEGO can't do pre-orders like every other business in the world?

Does anyone in Australia have experience buying D2C sets? Should I stay up late or get up early?

Edited by chris6507

Its already been discussed here before we've seen a lot of love for Chamber of secrets through the privet drive set, the cmf series, the tom riddle figure and now even the diagon alley is very heavily CoS based. But it was mostly overlooked back in 2018 with only 2 sets iirc. I wondering do you guys think another film will get this same treatment next year and if so which one do you think it will be

3 minutes ago, DNSNVN01 said:

Its already been discussed here before we've seen a lot of love for Chamber of secrets through the privet drive set, the cmf series, the tom riddle figure and now even the diagon alley is very heavily CoS based. But it was mostly overlooked back in 2018 with only 2 sets iirc. I wondering do you guys think another film will get this same treatment next year and if so which one do you think it will be

If an earlier film gets a set next year, my guess would be from The Sorcerer's Stone, seeing as 2021 would be the 20th anniversary of that movie.  A remake of Troll on the Loose or the Forbidden Corridor would be great to see.  Assuming a Gringotts Bank is coming next year, I could see it featuring details from both Sorcerer's Stone and the Deathly Hallows, though I expect more details from the latter.

I think for me to buy it I would want a tall slim add on owl emporium with lots of bird cages hanging all over the facade of the building and another building that again just gives that busy feel that I personally think DA has even without any people there.

Also have they added something to the broomsticks? They look chunky in the middle?

7 minutes ago, Yellowturnip said:

Also have they added something to the broomsticks? They look chunky in the middle?

Probably just 1x1 studs with a bar-sized hole :wink:

9 minutes ago, Yellowturnip said:

I think for me to buy it I would want a tall slim add on owl emporium with lots of bird cages hanging all over the facade of the building [...]

Maybe the bird cages are one of the reasons they decided against including EOE?  Omitting the cages would have made little sense since they’re essential to the storefront and including them would have required a new mould I think. The brick-built one in the polybag is nice, but wouldn‘t cut it here :tongue:

just had the coolest idea about diagon alley.
normal base plates are usually 25 cms wide right?
gonna built diagon alley on normal plates instead of the small plates its built on and add some small details in fornt of the shops
i will have to buy an ikea shelf for it and its size its 110 cms and 26 cms wide so its perfect
now the big doubt is if the shelf itself fits in the small space i have for it 

I really like this set, and I think it will actually be bigger in real-life than it looks in the pictures.

Lego appear to have done a great job getting the crookedness of DA and I've no problem with the pink on QQS, which I know some of us are unhappy with.

Nice touch having Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff Quidditch costumes, wonder if they've thrown in cloaks?

The missing harry is intriguing but I'd expect a polypag rather than a really cool DA Entrance GWP. I think that is wish list stuff really.

Minifigures are ok. I prefer new robe types than more Hermione and Ron in stripy jumpers, Harry in a zip up variants anyway.

Overall, very happy with this one.

I hope we‘ll get some additional pictures soon. The official reveal probably won‘t happen until next week, but the person who managed to get their hands on the set could upload some better-quality pics :tongue: We need to have a closer look at the minifigs (especially the face prints) and the interior details :wub: 

13 hours ago, Otherworld said:

That’s so strange. It makes me think, what if the deadlines and work pressure is huge at TLG? :look:

Would not worry about it, apparently they are the most popular workplace in Denmark :wink:

13 hours ago, MooneyRemus said:

I strongly feel it needs Gringotts, and I also strongly suspect we will be getting Gringotts in a separate set

I strongly feels it need a lot of other shops from the other side of the street :tongue:

12 hours ago, Vindicare said:

At this price, I’m fine with stickers. Imagine the price of all of this stickers were prints...

I wonder where they spent the budget on this one, it is not prints and minifigs so must be bricks then :shrug_oh_well:

12 hours ago, Modal said:

So are we positive they wont reveal this this weekend now or is there still a chance?

Huw at Brickset assumed it was next week..

12 hours ago, sebastian666 said:

But it’s clear to me that this is the beginning of a bigger modular display, so more minifigs to come. We’re almost guaranteed to get Gringott’s and Borgin and Burke’s as separate sets. Maybe even the Leaky Cauldron. And I can see us getting more two-shop sets to continue adding on to this. It’s an exciting time to be a LEGO Harry Potter fan!

Lego better bring them all :moar:

53 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Maybe the bird cages are one of the reasons they decided against including EOE?  Omitting the cages would have made little sense since they’re essential to the storefront and including them would have required a new mould I think. The brick-built one in the polybag is nice, but wouldn‘t cut it here :tongue:

I just think they were on the wrong side of the street :wacko: If they wanted a birdcage they could have made it easy in the CMF..

6 hours ago, Albus said:

I see, thanks. A bit like Han Solo's parka on Hoth then, too.

I think I prefer Black anyway. It's not an attractive brown and I don't think it would translate well with Lego's palette.

Yeah very much like Han Solo. And indeed, it looks pretty good. Problem was mostly that the brown would make him stand out more as a lot of figures were wearing black already. But I think the turban does a fine job with that already.

2 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

Fair enough, I guess they will indeed sell out too fast if they were released at the same time. Either way just not too big of a fan of gwp sets altogether. Just way too hard to get your hands on sometimes. Personally I wanted it to release alongside diagon alley as I just hate ordering at S@H. So I rather did purchase everything at once.

1 hour ago, CLK143 said:

Nice touch having Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff Quidditch costumes, wonder if they've thrown in cloaks?

Good point. Luckily the right colours are available on bricklink as it doesn't look like they have the capes/cloaks.

1 hour ago, CLK143 said:

The missing harry is intriguing but I'd expect a polypag rather than a really cool DA Entrance GWP. I think that is wish list stuff really.

Not really, just speculation. It wouldn't really follow the pattern any HP polybag has had in its now almost 20 year lifespan. As nothing exclusive has come in a polybag so far, except maybe a printed brick for the knight bus. Besides, we already have a polybag this year (of course that says little, but still.) The question is mostly what would be the most likely setting for this Harry. Almost gotta be DA related. So a small brick entrance really isn't that farfetched. Especially as gwp sets are often released close to d2c sets.

12 hours ago, B2Brixet said:

Also, and I don’t know how well everyone on here knows London, when I saw the straight on view of the set (back of the box) I instantly thought how well it could be adapted to be a generic London street scene. I might have to leave out WWW and I would repurpose QQS as an old London Pub (The Red Lion I think) and Ollivanders as a posh perfume store or similar. The others are fine as bookshop, ice cream parlour and stationary store. Point is I think it’s pretty cohesive architecturally.

It's a beautiful set and I agree that it's very reminiscent of actual streets in the UK (I get a Brighton vibe from it somehow). My hunch is that the set was intended by the designers to be a bit of a compromise between an ideal Diagon Alley and a street that appeals to people way beyond the HP fanbase and that the selection of shops and characters was also linked to that.  To make it a more perfect DA I feel buildings should be a bit more crooked, more magical creatures and owls should be about, more pedestrians in wizards hats etc. -- but then again these things shouldn't be too hard to change ourselves.

A few practical questions:

- which figures do you expect to remain exclusive to this set?

- when buying figures or even individual shops on eBay etc, what is usually a good time in terms of price--right after a release or a year or so later?

2 hours ago, DNSNVN01 said:

Grimmauld Place as a compromise between Book 5 and Book 7. I really want Kreacher and OOTP Sirius.

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

I strongly feels it need a lot of other shops from the other side of the street :tongue:

Strong feelings all around:tongue: I’m in a space now where I am pretending I didn’t see the leaks and am just waiting for full HD pictures (or video reviews lol like with the CMF) so I can take a proper look at the set.

Great idea @dyl-and .. I was thinking of getting some of the witch and wizard figs from other lego sets and CMF series .. I think I might find a Gandalf minifig to use too .. the street need a bit more hustle and bustle ie more people ? 

21 minutes ago, Nina said:

It's a beautiful set and I agree - which figures do you expect to remain exclusive to this set?

Florean Fortescue and Bozo will definitely stay exclusive to 75978. Lucius and Lockhart will probably end up in other sets sooner or later, but with different outfits I suspect. Though Lockhart not sporting his blue robes doesn’t bode well for another appearance of his anytime soon :tongue: Among the other new variants, these particular versions of George, Fred, Ginny and Molly will most likely stay exclusive as well since they don‘t wear these outfits anywhere else. 

16 minutes ago, Jarreth2 said:

Great idea @dyl-and .. I was thinking of getting some of the witch and wizard figs from other lego sets and CMF series .. I think I might find a Gandalf minifig to use too .. the street need a bit more hustle and bustle ie more people ? 

I generally only display Harry Potter sets but I'm going to include Gandalf in Diagon Alley.  I was actually hoping I could have Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli at a table in the Leaky Cauldron too but it's not to be :sad: not yet anyway!

11 minutes ago, Yope said:

I was actually hoping I could have Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli at a table in the Leaky Cauldron too but it's not to be :sad: not yet anyway!

Just add a chair and let them eat some ice cream instead :laugh:

21 minutes ago, Yope said:

I generally only display Harry Potter sets but I'm going to include Gandalf in Diagon Alley.  I was actually hoping I could have Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli at a table in the Leaky Cauldron too but it's not to be :sad: not yet anyway!

That's a great idea!

(What is this, a crossover episode? - Bojack)

57 minutes ago, Yope said:

Throwback to this amazing animation from Brotherhood Workshop!

Also, having Middle Earth characters in the street is a stroke of GENIUS

14 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Oh yeah forgot about Karkaroff and Goyle (and I guess Crabbe too) and I left out the nameless characters and variants/creatures. Either way I hope we'll get them eventually.

As far as I'm aware off; they haven't done Crabbe before. Goyle was in a DH-set, so Crabbe wasn't in that particular scene.

Just now, mark1991t said:

As far as I'm aware off; they haven't done Crabbe before. Goyle was in a DH-set, so Crabbe wasn't in that particular scene.

They did Crabbe back when the figures were still yellow

I still love the idea of “battle packs” in the form of four common room sets, one for each house. Each could have four students from that house consisting of two with house robes, one with a house sweater, and one in house quidditch robes

2 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

They did Crabbe back when the figures were still yellow

Yeah, you're right :). They are by the names of Harry and Ron on Brickset, because of the polyjuice. Its setnumber: 4735.