Chapter 9.1 - Bounty

I didn’t know what I was hoping to find, but I went through each cell, each little room, one by one, growing more anxious at each rusty old door. But it didn’t matter. They were all empty, anyway.
To the end of the hallway, only one cell stood remaining. Unlocked. On the inside was a pile of straw that served as a bed and a bucket on the side.

Nothing.

Except for a little mouse that looked at me startled and wrinkled. Poor mice. Even them are as thin as twigs. The mouse squeaked and ran through the straw bed, pinching a hole in the middle of the pile. Is he hiding? I kicked the pile away, and amid the falling spread straw, a trap door leading to a lower level was revealed.
I pulled the wooden door open. The hole on the floor revealed a ladder that disappeared into the darkness. From an endless dark pit, a rusty breath puffed to my face and an empty sound echoed. The mist was thick and made it hard to discern what was ahead.

The walls got tighter after each descending step until a point where it felt impossible to squeeze through. Then, the walls closing around me disappeared. It felt like a clearing as the echo of my breathing vibrated loudly in that open space. The weak light of my torch reflected on what appeared to be stars shining on a black canvas, blinking with the flame, just to realize those stars were just what I was looking for. Golden coins.

Bounty

Every corner of the room was filled with sacks, barrels, containers and crates pilled at each other. All of them filled with pieces of silver, golden jewelry, precious gemstones, trinkets and fine ornaments that should have been collected for years.
Loot. Taxation. Years of bribery and extortion. Work of the same men who swore to protect the realm but, instead, were corrupted by greed and the illusion of power over. I emptied my lungs. Finally. I reached for a bag filled with golden coins - I could swear they were all smiling back at me.

A paralyzing shock struck me from within. My throat shut and my arms weakened. What am I doing? I told myself the same story over and over. These coins will return to the folk. They were stolen and I’m bringing them back. But something about the weight of that sack made my guts turn upside down.

Bounty

A scream suddenly echoed and exploded in my ears, bringing me back to my senses, and I realized whose it was. Hob. I hurried and filled my bag. This should be more than enough, I thought running back to the corridor, as all those golden stars faded away.

This was posted a few weeks back on my Flickr. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the build and specially on the story. 
Make sure to check the previous chapters, too, if you like what you read so far.

Cheers!

Edited by Louis of Nutwood

I like and this story.. I thing its a good idea to see MOCs with story behind.. A story like this gives a life to creations that we can see here!!! Well done again!!! 

10 minutes ago, pantelis said:

I like and this story.. I thing its a good idea to see MOCs with story behind.. A story like this gives a life to creations that we can see here!!! Well done again!!! 

Thank you for the support, fellow builder!

I do believe that ALL the MOCs we post here already DO have a story behind them. Even though there might not be a written topic, there is always a story behind every build. I do encourage every MOCer to put the story on paper (or topic), as I believe they bring their creations (even more) to life. It is something I enjoy working on, and it makes me happy to see other people like it too. 

Cheers!

I love your technique of a black vignette-style border with then the terrain spilling over it. It really feels organic and is one of the things that really brings your builds to life. I have got to agree about the storyline as well - very nice. Keep up the good work!

30 minutes ago, marvelBoy123 said:

I love your technique of a black vignette-style border with then the terrain spilling over it. It really feels organic and is one of the things that really brings your builds to life. I have got to agree about the storyline as well - very nice. Keep up the good work

Thanks, fellow builder MarvelBoy. The black vignette with the spill-our effect is something I really enjoy building. You’ll see that most of my recent buildings include this feature, and I agree that it kind of makes the whole thing pop up. 

I’m putting some effort in bettering my storytelling, so I appreciate all your constructive feedbacks. 

Keep tuned as I’ll try to post the following chapters more frequently. 

Thanks for the support, mate!