murtaughf3

Wall building advise. Ordering parts. Started my first MOC

I'm looking to build a multi level base / fort about the size of a large gray base plate. Not sure of exact shape, but it won't be a perfect square or rectangle, maybe a L shape. From what I've seen from other mocs it appears the 1x is most popular wall option, (makes sense, takes up less space and cheaper). I was curious if one size is preferred over the other. I was thinking of using mostly 1x4 and 1x6 for cost and availability / versatility reasons( just guessing on the cost part). Finding some of the more unique parts could be a challenge so I figured I'd just stock up and the common parts from places I find the unique parts in hopes of minimizing orders. 

So if you have any wall building suggestions or suggestions on ways to save when ordering it would be greatly appreciated. 

On a side note I hope to start a build thread here soon to show the process. 

I think it depends on the type of fort. Is it made of stone or wood? If wood, the wooden 1x4 and 1x2 palisades and 1x1 cylinders are great. If you're going for stone, 1x4, 1x3, and 1x6 are my go to of one color with some 1x1s and 1x2s of other colors sprinkled in to make it less monochromatic.

I tend to use 1x4 and 1x2, then 1x3 if an odd number is needed, with 1x1 for detail (change of colour, texture, etc). I only really use larger ones if needed for strength over an opening.

It really depends on the theme of the build. You can create great things using SNOT techniques, but some looks are better suited to certain themes or locations.

If I was making something SciFi, I would use very different techniques in comparison to building a Castle or even a modern day structure.

On 10/16/2019 at 12:20 AM, murtaughf3 said:

I was thinking of using mostly 1x4 and 1x6 for cost and availability / versatility reasons( just guessing on the cost part).

Entirely depends on the colors. Some 1x6 types are pretty rare and thus somewhat costly. I'd first look around what's actually available and not get locked into a specific idea that you may not be able to go through with. In fact even some 1x1 bricks in some colors are elusive, come to think of it...

Mylenium

Thanks for all the suggestions, it's greatly appreciated. As for theme, I'm thinking something in the classic space area, using mostly blue and light blueish grey, with some yellow and trans-yellow tossed in( had no idea how pricey the plates could be). I'm also considering adding several 1x1 modified bricks to assist in adding detail. 

On a side note, my daughter has taken over the project so to speak, she wants everything to be playable, and so for now, I'll be changing things to make it more playable for her. She's allow introduced lots of Friends furniture, so it's possible this will be a classic space meets friends build. But I'm completely ok with that, seeing her play and playing with her is brings back rush of memories and in the end, isn't that what Lego is about. Making and remember memories. 

Hoping to post some pics soon. Thanks again.