Sign in to follow this  
Anders T

Cog

Cog or Kogge

Cog aft.lxf

A cog is a type of ship that first appeared in the 10th century, and was widely used from around the 12th century on. Eventually, around the 14th century, the cog reached its structural limits. This model is a somewhat generic version of this ship. However, some features narrows it down to being from around 1300, +-50 years.

The ship type was a northern European brake from the sleek Viking ship. The need for spacious and relatively inexpensive ships led to the development of this trader workhorse. Fore and stern castles would be added for defense against pirates, or to enable use of these vessels as warships. 

It is in minifig-scale or 1:40’ish.

The model will have the dimensions Length: 68 cm, Height: 75 cm (with stand), Width: 19 cm (Beam)

There is approx. 4300 bricks in the model.

Cog .lxf

Cog fore.lxf

Cog starboard.lxf

Lovely! I really love the early ships just like this. You make them look like actual kits. 

Ah, a very refreshing build. Reminds me of playing Age of Empires when about 57 of these would get all jammed up in some canal and hold up my gold supply.

MAC

On 10/14/2019 at 9:00 PM, Count Vroskri said:

Lovely! I really love the early ships just like this. You make them look like actual kits. 

Thanks, while they sometimes lack the sophistication of later ships, I also find that there is a kind of beauty dictated by necessity in the early ships of sail.

13 hours ago, iammac said:

Ah, a very refreshing build. Reminds me of playing Age of Empires when about 57 of these would get all jammed up in some canal and hold up my gold supply.

MAC

Ha, ha, and then you had to go there and pick them out one by one!:pir_wacko: Oh and why have no one told the designers of that game that Cogs distinctly only have one mast with a square-rigged single sail? :head_back:

Besides that love these games.:grin:

Hat off on how you make something very interesting and full of techniques out of a “simple” Cog

On 10/27/2019 at 10:37 AM, Count Vroskri said:

Any chance of pic of the lovely boat? 

Boat for Cog

Here you go.

It is almost the same boat as I have used on HMS Ontario and HMS Surprise.

There is a few alterations on the bow and stern, I trust you can figure them out.:pir-classic:

On 10/28/2019 at 7:14 PM, Maxim I said:

Hat off on how you make something very interesting and full of techniques out of a “simple” Cog

Thanks,

In fact, I kept from doing a cog for a long time because it is such a simple ship, on the surface.

I had to surround it from two sides with the Viking ships and the carrack before I finally dared to work with the details that would actually make the model work.

On 11/1/2019 at 5:57 PM, Count Vroskri said:

Thanks. That rowboat probably will be longer than any ship I can hope of building. 

And that is why Bricklink was made.