Sign in to follow this  
Lego David

LEGO Ideas Support Thread: Bionicle

Awesome news! I think the important thing here is regardless of what happens with this project, the community should definitely continue to create and support Bionicle IDEAS projects they find interesting, as there's no better way to show the support this theme still has. In other words, don't put all eggs in one basket with this project. 

We finally got an official comment on the project from LEGO:

a6af3e92027c8ddc4ce5c3dc7089f5eb04ee5db1_1_543x500.png

The first part of the comment is especially interesting.

Very interesting. Sounds hopeful, but I'm going to do my best to keep my expectations in check until we have an official answer. (That being said, I'm gonna be hype as hell if this makes it through)

It's already been a mouth since the project reached 10.000 supporters, and it's still on the LEGO Ideas Website front page... maybe that means something.

Edited by Lego David

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

By the way @Lego David, would you consider broadening this index to include mecha and constraction-based projects outside of Bionicle

As long as they are constraction-based, I think yes, it's ok the share them here.

On 1/9/2020 at 9:40 AM, Lego David said:

As long as they are constraction-based, I think yes, it's ok the share them here.

So, by constraction-based, are you referring to creations only built from systems particular to such (i.e. Ultrabuild); or, are all submitted creations that can be classified as mecha and/or action figures worthy of mention here? :shrug_confused:

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

So, by constraction-based, are you referring to creations only built from systems particular to such (i.e. Ultrabuild)

I think so, and I'd tend to agree with that. System-made mechs are more Sci-Fi than constraction, so it would make more sense to show them in the Sci-Fi subforum. With that being said, there's a gray area. What if a mecha uses both system and CCBS parts, like the Infinity War Hulkbuster 76104 ? And in which proportions ? The  Sidereal Giant uses a veast majority of System parts, so I'd say it's much more of a Sci-Fi MOC than a Constraction MOC. In the end, I'd say it just depends on one's appreciation.

Personally, I always defined a constraction line less by how they were built and more by how they were marketed.

For a quick example, both Knights' Kingdom II and Legends of Chima had normal System sets and action figure-styled sets. However, when comparing both, even though Knights' Kingdom was entirely brick-built and Chima used CCBS, I would say the first was a constraction line with System sets and the latter was a System line with constraction sets, for a very simple reason: in most Knights' Kingdom media and advertisement, the "human"-like proportions of the action figures were treated as the official look of the characters, and the minifigures from the System sets as a scaled-down approximation, and not the other way around. It's also why I consider Exo-Force a lot closer to constraction than other mecha sets.

That being said, would these sets count as Constraction?

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/020b51d3-5fee-4f8d-8179-878ee40c7ef3

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/7b0627e8-5f97-4fbe-844c-a2b7a1e0dc90

8 hours ago, The Outsider said:

That being said, would these sets count as Constraction?

The Brick Bot, definitely not. There is nothing about it that makes me think it's Constraction.

The Iron Giant... maybe. I can see it uses a few CCBS pieces although it's mostly system.

I personally think this Thread should be used for Projects that are either Bionicle related, or are built using mostly CCBS. I personally don't count Figures that are built entirely out of System as Constraction.