Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

LEGO City Magazine 2020-5 is finally out here in my country, looks like there will only be  6 issues this year here.

Since those Magazines are printed under license, and published by localized companies, it varies a lot per country.

I think Germany still gets 12 issues total this year, oh well, but I won't complain that much since I know many countries don't even get any at all.

Still think this miniset is a great one to get, a rarer minifig and parts colors, mostly found in the larger City Tuning Garage set.

952010-1.jpg?202010070715

Edited by TeriXeri

So far we have sub themes for City, such as Forest, Ocean, Space, Swamp, Mountains, Airport, etc. But do we have Jungle, Museum, Mining, and other sub themes in past years? 

I am a huge fan of dinosaurs and fossils (of course it relates to Jurasic World) but I would love to see some paleontological research center or digging site with fossil in it. Or at least a museum with fossils and artifacts. I think it’s great to encourage kids to learn more about science like paleontology, archaeology, etc. Just my personal opinion. I would not be surspied if TLG doesn’t design these science-/museum-related sets. 

2 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

So far we have sub themes for City, such as Forest, Ocean, Space, Swamp, Mountains, Airport, etc. But do we have Jungle, Museum, Mining, and other sub themes in past years? 

Jungle was done in 2017, Mining was done in 2018

2 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

As said above, 2017 had Jungle and 2018 had Mining. 2012 had Mining too. Now as far as Museum is concerned, we've had a museum in the 2013 Elite Police (I recommend that one if you want a museum for your table town - if you have one) wave and one in Capital City in 2018. I bring those up because that's probably as far as we're going to get as far as museum themed sets are concerned. City is one of those themes that makes its subthemes vehicle based....and there isn't really much vehicle based sets they can do with a museum subtheme and there isn't really any action unless its a crime taking place or unless its being built or on fire. 

8 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

As said above, 2017 had Jungle and 2018 had Mining. 2012 had Mining too. Now as far as Museum is concerned, we've had a museum in the 2013 Elite Police (I recommend that one if you want a museum for your table town - if you have one) wave and one in Capital City in 2018. I bring those up because that's probably as far as we're going to get as far as museum themed sets are concerned. City is one of those themes that makes its subthemes vehicle based....and there isn't really much vehicle based sets they can do with a museum subtheme and there isn't really any action unless its a crime taking place or unless its being built or on fire. 

Oh right, I forgot about 2017’s Jungle and 2012/18’s Mining sub themes. Too bad for me that i missed the chance. 

Yeah I understand that City theme primarily focuses on vehicles but there are Main Square, Capital City and some medium/big-sized builds like Airport sets. 

Ok, I didn’t notice Museums in Elite Police and Capital City sets in first place. As I mentioned in my post above, i thnk museum sun theme may relate to paleontology, archaeology, geography, etc etc etc.... I agre with you museums may not have any actions without including criminal activies, under renovation or fire accident. It would be cool if TLG designs a vehicles that transport fossils, mummies, cursed items from jungle temple, or some pre/historic artificers away from sites to museums. Just saying. 

7 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

It would be cool if TLG designs a vehicles that transport fossils, mummies, cursed items from jungle temple, or some pre/historic artificers away from sites to museums. Just saying. 

Ok! Now those I never thought of that before. Maybe this would be something good to mention on the Ideas For New City Sets forum. Though I must warn you. You're on one of those forums where narrow mindedness is a thing. So be prepared for a lot of people disagreeing with those ideas. I has the same thing happen when I made set ideas for a Public Transportation subtheme which wasn't very well received when I first brought it up. 

30 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Ok! Now those I never thought of that before. Maybe this would be something good to mention on the Ideas For New City Sets forum. Though I must warn you. You're on one of those forums where narrow mindedness is a thing. So be prepared for a lot of people disagreeing with those ideas. I has the same thing happen when I made set ideas for a Public Transportation subtheme which wasn't very well received when I first brought it up. 

Thank you for a fair warning. I appreciate it! I’m quite new to this Eurobricks forums but, hey, I appreciate your generous advice! :) 

18 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Thank you for a fair warning. I appreciate it! I’m quite new to this Eurobricks forums but, hey, I appreciate your generous advice! :) 

It's all good. But it does seem like people are finally going for my public transit subtheme idea now. 

On 10/23/2020 at 6:43 PM, Brandon Pea said:

It's all good. But it does seem like people are finally going for my public transit subtheme idea now. 

City won’t be a city without public transits! :) 

51 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

City won’t be a city without public transits! :) 

Exactly! I can say for a fact that sets like 8404 and 60154 would've been sets I would've loved as a kid. It was worth building a dedicated subtheme from. I said this on the 2021 City page that any major city service that has to do with a vehicle (i.e. police, fire, medical, sanitation, postal services, construction or public transportation) should get a dedicated subtheme under City. Then the Great Vehicles and Town subtheme would be strictly for civilian stuff like the camper or the doughnut shop that wouldn't exactly fit into a dedicated subtheme. 

On 10/25/2020 at 12:45 AM, Brandon Pea said:

Exactly! I can say for a fact that sets like 8404 and 60154 would've been sets I would've loved as a kid. It was worth building a dedicated subtheme from. I said this on the 2021 City page that any major city service that has to do with a vehicle (i.e. police, fire, medical, sanitation, postal services, construction or public transportation) should get a dedicated subtheme under City. Then the Great Vehicles and Town subtheme would be strictly for civilian stuff like the camper or the doughnut shop that wouldn't exactly fit into a dedicated subtheme. 

Speaking of public transportation,I want a subtheme dedicated to that because it can fit very well in my city, I already have a taxi and a train but I want a bus and a public transportation terminal 

Finally The elite police sets have been released here in Portugal, now I don't have to buy those at Lego.com,but the weirdest thing is that the elite police sets are only available at supermarkets

15 hours ago, Powered by Bricks said:

Speaking of public transportation,I want a subtheme dedicated to that because it can fit very well in my city, I already have a taxi and a train but I want a bus and a public transportation terminal 

I think there are a lot of city services that need a dedicated subtheme. The My City subtheme (which is Great Vehicles and Town put together) should be lowered to only civilian stuff like the camper and the doughnut shop. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

19 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

I think there are a lot of civilian services that need a dedicated subtheme. The My City subtheme (which is Great Vehicles and Town put together) should be lowered to only civilian stuff like the camper and the doughnut shop. 

Exactly! And I could well imagine that there'll be more of it next summer - it seems as if TLG is testing a comeback of the classic Town theme, but of course in today's style and with today's possibilities which make the sets even greater.

5 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Exactly! And I could well imagine that there'll be more of it next summer - it seems as if TLG is testing a comeback of the classic Town theme, but of course in today's style and with today's possibilities which make the sets even greater.

Yeah! The public transportation system, the sanitation workers, the postal service, etc. Then there are subthemes that should be revived such as medical, towing and cargo. So much to expand on there. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

16 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

Yeah! The public transportation system, the sanitation workers, the postal service, etc. Then there are subthemes that should be revived such as medical, towing and cargo. So much to expand on there. 

I 100% agree on revising subthemes!!

I would like to see LEGO release a double decker city bus, just like the kind that are found in London, England and other European cities. If LEGO can create the triple-decker Knight Bus for the Harry Potter licensed theme, they could do a double-decker city bus for LEGO City's public transit subtheme...of course, it would have to be of modular construction, where the roof and second floor passenger section would be removable to access the first floor driver's seat, stairs and and passenger section.

Edited by Justin

7 hours ago, Justin said:

I would like to see LEGO release a double decker city bus, just like the kind that are found in London, England and other European cities. If LEGO can create the triple-decker Knight Bus for the Harry Potter licensed theme, they could do a double-decker city bus for LEGO City's public transit subtheme...of course, it would have to be of modular construction, where the roof and second floor passenger section would be removable to access the first floor driver's seat, stairs and and passenger section.

They should recycle the buses from 2013 and 2018 and make them yellow/green like the one from 2017. That should the brick color scheme for transit buses from now on. I'm hoping they'd do a bendy bus if they were to do a public transportation subtheme. That would probably be a little challenging though given that they'd have to improvise with the accordion area. But I'm sure Lego could do it.

Edited by Brandon Pea

4 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

They should recycle the buses from 2013 and 2018 and make them yellow/green like the one from 2017. That should the brick color scheme for transit buses from now on. I'm hoping they'd do a bendy bus if they were to do a public transportation subtheme. That would probably be a little challenging though given that they'd have to improvise with the accordion area. But I'm sure Lego could do it.

Maybe a bendy bus can be released next summer, with this new changes for the theme, It can be possible to see a bendy bus next year 

I never understood why there isn't a selection of basic city/town stuff that isn't redesigned on an (bi)annual basis. Just have a patrol car, fire truck, garbage truck, ambulance, excavator, tow truck, normal cargo truck, bus and even (smaller) basic building like a small police/fire station, doctor's office, gas station, garage/work shop etc available all the time and additionally bring in the special themes and stuff like action police/fire or sets for the tv series with the named minifigs.

Certain stuff like public transportation is way too small for a dedicated subtheme. A bus and a tram, that's basically it, with respective stations or hubs, trains or subways are already here (and halfdead) or impractical (no underground). Thinking of some elevated monorail, well that's a nice thought but nothing more.

Edited by rzmpf

1 hour ago, rzmpf said:

Certain stuff like public transportation is way too small for a dedicated subtheme. A bus and a tram, that's basically it, with respective stations or hubs, trains or subways are already here (and halfdead) or impractical (no underground). Thinking of some elevated monorail, well that's a nice thought but nothing more.

That's not a fair assumption to make. That would be like saying that the fire subtheme could only give us a station and a pumper or a medical subtheme can only give us an ambulance and a hospital. There are lots of sets that you could do under a public transportation subtheme. Here are some ideas I've come up with before. 

• A driver training set with a mini bus, a frantic driver and a disgruntled trainer.
  • A shuttle service set with a man in a wheelchair 
  • A local passenger service set with a regular sized bus and a stop 
  • A motor coach set 
  • A small NYC Port Authority style bus terminal building with a taxi
  • An uptown line set with a bendy bus and some type of office building with a stop in front of it. 

That's just to name a few. A public transportation subtheme would give us a slew of different types of buses similar to the police subtheme giving us a line of police vehicles, fire subtheme giving us a line of fire engines and coast guard giving us a slew of boats. 

A bendy bus (if done right and not costing a fortune or part of a super-expensive set like this year's main square with the yellow tram) would be a must-buy for me.

7 minutes ago, jonwil said:

A bendy bus (if done right and not costing a fortune or part of a super-expensive set like this year's main square with the yellow tram) would be a must-buy for me.

Bruh! You should go on eBay. Someone is selling the main square tram standalone for 80 bucks plus shilling fees. That's ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

That's not a fair assumption to make. That would be like saying that the fire subtheme could only give us a station and a pumper or a medical subtheme can only give us an ambulance and a hospital. There are lots of sets that you could do under a public transportation subtheme. Here are some ideas I've come up with before. 

• A driver training set with a mini bus, a frantic driver and a disgruntled trainer.
  • A shuttle service set with a man in a wheelchair 
  • A local passenger service set with a regular sized bus and a stop 
  • A motor coach set 
  • A small NYC Port Authority style bus terminal building with a taxi
  • An uptown line set with a bendy bus and some type of office building with a stop in front of it. 

That's just to name a few. A public transportation subtheme would give us a slew of different types of buses similar to the police subtheme giving us a line of police vehicles, fire subtheme giving us a line of fire engines and coast guard giving us a slew of boats. 

Taxis and passenger trains are also pretty important.  A ferry, maybe?  Plus the train station, ferry terminal etc (E.g. 60050).  Trust me, @rzmpf, there’s enough.

In order to make the buses bend in the middle, they'd have to create a new part that is made up of plastic turntable bricks for the ceiling and floor with flexible accordion-like pieces of black rubber for the walls.

13 minutes ago, Justin said:

In order to make the buses bend in the middle, they'd have to create a new part that is made up of plastic turntable bricks for the ceiling and floor with flexible accordion-like pieces of black rubber for the walls.

Or they could use those connector pieces they use for rigs and trailers.