makoy

[Legacy] Sensei Wu's Rickshaw

This is my entry for the NINJAGO Legacy contest. I wanted to build something odd or special that was featured in the TV show but was never built as a set. So, I ended up making the very first "hero vehicle" that our beloved ninjas used.

Sensei Wu's Rickshaw was featured in the second episode of the 1st installment of the TV series and is seen on-screen for about 25 seconds only. Back then, each episodes were only 11 minutes so the screentimes of the vehicles were very short. 

In that scene we learned how each ninja was recruited by Sensei Wu. This is also the first time the 4 ninjas worked together in a strange form of team building.

47968070167_e9b1c567a9_b.jpg

47968064266_26cc9e302a_b.jpg

47968004357_faf1dd6124_b.jpg

I'm all for obscure source material! The rickshaw is quite accurate and it's nice to see the original gi used here. The tan unikitty tails used as dust trails are new to me, but personally I think it's not the most convincing way of portraying dust trails. The terrain is fine, the only thing that looks off is the tree on the left. It's shaped kind of like a tear drop, but to it's side, and it's complexity is rather contrasting to the sleek palm tree. Anyway, these are minor comments, the overall scene is still pleasing to the eye. :classic::thumbup: 

8 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

I'm all for obscure source material! The rickshaw is quite accurate and it's nice to see the original gi used here. The tan unikitty tails used as dust trails are new to me, but personally I think it's not the most convincing way of portraying dust trails. The terrain is fine, the only thing that looks off is the tree on the left. It's shaped kind of like a tear drop, but to it's side, and it's complexity is rather contrasting to the sleek palm tree. Anyway, these are minor comments, the overall scene is still pleasing to the eye. :classic::thumbup: 

Thanks. This is rather nice feedback because I haven't been making MOC for sometime now. I used to do more few years ago. I did this in one sitting with all the parts I could spot from my parts bin. The unikitty tails are just there for trying out something new that I have never done before. While not the most convincing, I am pleased with the result. I have more shots that has lesser depth of field and it looks more convincing when it's blurred. However, I chose the images with more depth of field so that you can make out what parts were used. 

On 6/1/2019 at 3:53 PM, makoy said:

Thanks. This is rather nice feedback because I haven't been making MOC for sometime now. I used to do more few years ago. I did this in one sitting with all the parts I could spot from my parts bin. The unikitty tails are just there for trying out something new that I have never done before. While not the most convincing, I am pleased with the result. I have more shots that has lesser depth of field and it looks more convincing when it's blurred. However, I chose the images with more depth of field so that you can make out what parts were used. 

One things for sure, you haven't forgotten how to build good MOCs. :wink: 

Ah, I see. I can imagine it is more effective with less depth of field. :thumbup: 

Ooh, I can't believe I'd missed this in my own list of Ninjago scenes to build!  Great job with the rickshaw and landscaping, and the dust behind them is very clever as well :wink:  I agree with Exetrius that the leaves on the closer tree look a bit unnatural, but the one farther back looks great!

Excellent choice of scene to build here, getting something we never saw in set form before. My favorite details are the unikitty tails, and the roof of the rickshaw which flows perfectly on top but still has detail on the underside!

Great take on this scene!  It's always been one of my favorite short bits, and you did a good job capturing the feel of the scene with the desert landscape and those boulders behind, not to mention that scraggly tree on the left!  The roof of the 'shaw looks great too.