Void_S

[MOC] Trailers and semitrailers compatible with Mack Anthem (42078)

48 minutes ago, Clever Nickname said:

I really like your trailers. Do you plan to create a lowboy trailer for heavy haulage?

Yes, it's in progress already. I'm working on the gooseneck scheme (it works perfect but looks ugly) and didn't decide what kind of suspension should it have.

3 hours ago, Void_S said:

Yes, it's in progress already. I'm working on the gooseneck scheme (it works perfect but looks ugly) and didn't decide what kind of suspension should it have.

Will you try to stick to original suspension scheme thou?

While I'm limited in use ABS bricks, I decided to work a bit with some abandoned ideas and now it's time for trailers suspension. I always wanted to replicate the real-life suspension focusing on the EU trailers with kind of "life axles" which are mounted with no pendular arms that make the ride very smooth: a single surface oddity moves only a single wheel while other 3 or 5 ones still move normally. The initial idea was a very bulky and fragile construction with regular shock absorbers but I wasn't satisfied with it at all - it was just too big to be used in this scale. The next step was adopting with 31104 Monster Burger Truck suspension arms scheme - it became better but looses some "modularity" and was possible to be used only with even axles number, so the next step, now with 31101 Monster Truck is amazing now:

• "live axle" suspension with individually suspended wheels connected via a single axle
  • The axle between the wheels keeps aligned but allows them to be rotated freely (no, it's not a single 12L axle here and the trailer will have no issues even in tight corners)
  • Full modularity: this constriction has no specific elements that limit its size, so it could:
    1) have a different track width
    2) have a different number of axles per trailer (the more axles = the heavier weight they could handle altogether, now this real-life rule works perfectly!)
    3) have a different wheelbase (there are no connections between the axles, so you may put them as close or far as you need

Here is an image of the "normal" + "reversed" axles setting that imitates the pendular tandem suspension. Notice that LBG liftarms are just supporting the assembly and could be replaced with any other parts of the trailer frame.

800x450.jpg

For sure, it's a part of some further things. Once I got the possibility to test it with my physical bricks, I will announce something interesting, I hope.

Advanced issue found
â–²

?

5 minutes ago, Aleh said:

Can you remove one wheel and show what's inside?

Do you use this part? https://rebrickable.com/parts/11455/technic-pin-connector-perpendicular-2-x-4-bent-beam-with-90-hole-ø-48/

Yeah, exactly, quite a dead-simple solution always comes when you're tired of overcomplicated ones. The images are coming.

Edited by Void_S

I didn't know there were so many wheel configurations for trailer wheels and flexible positionings as well.

Whoa.

Edited by GTS

2 hours ago, Aleh said:

Can you remove one wheel and show what's inside?

Do you use this part? https://rebrickable.com/parts/11455/technic-pin-connector-perpendicular-2-x-4-bent-beam-with-90-hole-ø-48/

• Blue - static parts mounted to the frame
  • Red - suspension parts
  • Yellow - half-axles (connected with 2L frictionless axle-pin via 2L pinhole tube)
  • Black - rubber "springs", or "air dumps" if you wish :classic:

Notice that I have never tested it "in bricks" yet but should be working in theory...

800x450.jpg

While the chassis above was designed for relatively light trailers, here is one more comes, now hevay-duty one:

640x480.jpg

Tridem or tandem carrier for trailers with following features:

1. Pendular suspension of rigid axles (in gray at he picture)
  2. Rubber 2L "liftarms" are the sprung elements here, that limits the axles articulation (each incline is counter-pushed by the rubber piece)
  3. And my favorite thing: "lock the suspension", that replicates the real trucks feature when they need to avoid of unexpected tilt during a dump unloading, for instance.
    It works with 2L red liftarms that have two positions:
  • Vertical (turned down) - they stays in parallel with rubber things and lock the "pendular"
    At the image above they are activated and the first axle now intersects with the limiter, whish will be impossible in "physical world"
  • Horizontal (turded up at 90 degrees), so they hides in the frame and don't touch the axles.

It is the carrier for the side-dump trailer I working on now. It will also have some interesting things, as just "roll to unload" is deadly boring and Anthem deserves once more side-loader :laugh:

640x480.jpg 

White liftarms will be a part of complicated enough linkage system (not all parts are shown yet), so it will have the following working cycle performed by only the single HOG knob (the sequence of actions):

1. open the side gate
  2. tilt the dump
  3. put down the dump
  4. close and lock the gate

Can’t wait to see that V8 super cars hauler! Also, what height is the hitch of these trailers?

Edited by Cosimic_65

The V8 supercars hauler is still in progress as I was quite unsitisfied with the result and is working on the a more complex "lift" to be able to lift the cars and be compact enought to take not so many space inside.

@Cosimic_65, the hitch height is about 4 studs from the ground, right at level of 49.5 wheels center.

I found my one more old idea unfinished. What the features I may add to this tank trailer?

I supposed to use the 20T gears (or even replace them with more autentic caps) to control the follwoign things:

1. 1st (fromt the front direction) - for someting related to the 5th wheel. Maybe it's height to tilt the tank backward a bit to unload the liquids easier?
  2. 2nd one to land or retrrackt the langing gears (supports) + lock the wheels (a "parking brake")
  3. 3rd one to control someting at the rear. I thought about the "ride height", axle lift, or, more interesting, the "load balance".
    I would describe it as a payload made of Heavy Bricks (used in System/City ships and trains) that can me moved rearward or backward to load the trailer or truck axles heavier.
    Together with a suspension (I'm working on it for other trailers) it should nicelly replicate the "good" and "bad" load balance conditions and how the truck operates under them.

640x360.png

What do you think about this features?

Edited by Void_S
a typo, sorry

Let me add something to this topic, namely Semi-trailer with self-steering axles.