1980SomethingSpaceGuy

[BSBA] Cat A - Benny's Space Groomer

y4m7EqfDGcDy2Cdht6ce9NVGPvZ2Wuz15GcaKWYo

Hello!

First off, thanks for this contest, the idea is just perfect! Being a 1980 something space guy myself, Benny of course is my favorite character in the movie... Spaceship!

I like what they did with 70831 Emmet's Dream House Rescue Rocket! so I went for something similar. I chose set 60222, snow groomer as a base, because it has nice technic parts (those caterpillars definitely are spaceship material! :wink:), old school colors, and even a canon!

So there was this snow groomer, just lying around...
y4mswhQvShXvWWm_fV-BY4jDYS74D-aMZXqJog3e

Then my 1980 space guy came along...
y4mG2e11ccOdgX2DprCrWde_K4EkLkNEQ1wlV7dC

And built himself a nice Space Groomer !
y4mbsh7fBn9JooRtnZAAeRxOgADQqeVY5YdFsmSC

He kept the original cabin, since it was cosy and already had featured cupholders.
y4mw4WdGjdSujIGhofYpXMNGPYbkwuzMoi8fTcX6

However, he took the time to seal the cockpit; it's cold up there...
y4m-aXBpHARIsgEj_EFxPA0sVlrEtwCt_EtGpNDS

The fearsome front facing space snow canon.
y4mFiZmTYkPWUJ-OsWSyQHZMjJOMjzt0xA28zD7V

Those thrusters definitely should pack enough boost.
y4m9x-TmfvwCTQVpK80nxhgiRee3enWy3aBl7xLu

Having enough room for the jetpack is a must have on a decent spaceship.
y4meoVAEojySKsTETP7NjA3vvQnXoh5lZlzrE9Hp

For Intergalactical Spacecraft Identification purposes, top, bottom and gear up/down views:
y4meMktGKpF9B1XwpX9SrlL6qHApcpkBx6zr8djJ
y4m9VzcsAwyMa6J5a61bK-9PW8mW_8Ys-bwTEQB0
y4mwzSbKh6T1F3WtzFtvuGte912MBXO8h-4B_sAr
y4m6DIc4dB4sMM-2egewuwWpHHP5d1zNi19wV_hH

And there we are; a bennific spaceship based on a snow groomer.
I tried to use as many parts as I could from the original set and not add too many. The model is tough and can be grabbed carelessly by the thrusters, cabin or landing pod.
The canon is operated by the 2x2 round black brick visible above, which lands on the fingertips when holding the spaceship by the thrusters.
The landing pod's movement is stopped in the position where the model is perfectly balanced so it is quite reliable. But weird. Which is fun!
The spaceship features variable sweep wing, ejecting canopy and heated cupholders.

Backstory:

It was winter, my Benny was on holidays in the mountains when he was called on mission and had to build a spaceship urgently. Looking around, he saw this Snow Groomer and immediately spotted the Technic parts, in particular the beams. A spaceship needs the best technology available to be big, light and sturdy, Benny knows it. He's been using Technic beams for a long time now..
y4mNpb2DVwslBQyYarl_NvN61wahDRuZhyCh6mgFy4mkY4tILZ40WK8KfT4mbAlBqz1858vPNfLaO2QU

When he took the snow groomer apart, he stumbled across this part:
y4mwqiA0o8xPSNHdvBsa2OPYyWEyn_sxgL-punZj...which reminded him a lot of that one: y4mTbP2NtBCwrCqWOVULtQqcq124RNLa1RBZzHHG

And of the biggest and most awesome Classic Space set he ever had, 6985 (he's the one taking the photo below):
y4mU2j3pqdxWBSe6ZWreOxdPv28RP4U_G9gzEtSL

Then it struck him: since he could not work with his favourite white/blue/grey/transparent yellow palette, he was going to include references to that glorious ancestor in his new build. In addition to the compulsory pair of big thrusters and some antennas in the typical Classic Space style, he chose to use that bracket to create a similar side line:
y4mDT7KaMdNJ3fUszX75ex3RtWRVLnhvERUkriKK
y4m_2q0vjMzNWLAxLLNx6QS3-TELMzz8yMCazlZ3

He doubled the roof piece in an attempt to mock-up the original double canopy looks:
y4mFj7KSlhid5beKPiY67QbCfpgLLbAfo0KGT2m5
y4m1vSZk9dOpyx87KtLYBJEo5KtF6N6AsqwCGPsy

Of course, the front laser canon and the forward facing cones had to be evoked too:
y4mL2Z0BrB2BZNB6PJNM6wcuzGk7peH040FoW6he
y4mq0oAidr8uOtv1UYfUh3V4JKc7ROqxS4nNBHgP

And a pair of winglets on both sides of the cockpit:
y4mOgQ9E9opFNGo0r3Kxj4nEvpeqiArT2wEHxdlT
y4mvQ1bp6u4y0xiP5OmFdGbFxLIxRi2cN939sEvk

Of course, pipes had to be added too. A spaceship needs pipes:
y4mjTIJ8_3hm8b3iPFHW2W7_MaN1Ca2PBMc3UMdv
y4mCWDPATRTQD5mtUIqJHryswsxO9UD_DA3AlYzZ

In the back, a pair of stabilisers and integrated transparent red bricks:
y4mzauoThxJbfviMSoXYCd5NjA9XnVC--1WozDn0
y4mrU9f1H7ibN2vniimdIyJQdiirDU4bJuG-9ksp

And finally, a couple more fins on the back seemed absolutely necessary (as long as a discreet touch of blue):
y4mRMuX3D0AbwTY8WU39xZgjGmjCVPkkbWLDHrrQ
y4m9eJK1pfXHmEjMuIeRQg3xgNOETC-VYxVnobHg

With all that tribute to his favourite Classic Space model, my Benny was happy to fly his Space Groomer into new adventures!

Thanks for watching!

Edited by 1980SomethingSpaceGuy
Updated pictures after slight cosmetic modification

Excellent work! The use of the track pieces for engines and stabilizer mounting points is brilliant. Looks like it would be a very quick spaceship and who wouldn't want to fly to a warmer planet. :grin:

On ‎27‎.‎03‎.‎2019 at 4:07 PM, Dorino said:

Really cool! :)
This might be most interesting contest ( at least for me)

Thanks! You bet it is for me too :wink: 

On ‎28‎.‎03‎.‎2019 at 12:48 AM, koalayummies said:

Excellent work! The use of the track pieces for engines and stabilizer mounting points is brilliant. Looks like it would be a very quick spaceship and who wouldn't want to fly to a warmer planet. :grin:

Such a nice compliment from you means a lot! Thanks!

My idea of Bennyfying things is to re-use the most significant parts of the original model; in that case the red slopes, black Z-shaped structures, plates from the plow for the wings, the canon's carriage for the landing pod, etc. but of course the tracks too. I had that in mind when I chose to order that little set for the purpose of this contest. But it was only near the end of the design/building that I added those stabilizers on top of the tracks! I'm a pretty old school builder: I make do with what I have at hand; no CAD, no parts order.
I liked this build a lot because it fits my approach: brand new set as a base, only few parts to add; immediate fun. I'm looking forward seeing the other entries! :classic:

The Bennification is quite complete! And I love that you took time to include homage to the classic set. GL in the contest!

On ‎10‎.‎04‎.‎2019 at 4:03 AM, rodiziorobs said:

The Bennification is quite complete! And I love that you took time to include homage to the classic set. GL in the contest!

Thanks! With a small model to work on and thus not a lot of parts, I wanted to make the most of them! À propos…

- Edited main post to update pictures after a small upgrade: 
y4mariA64lAdT4VK5yCQzOcQt2y30PxX56cMds_j