Sign in to follow this  
gvo25

[WIP][MOC] articulated/telescopic aerial lift

Hello all,

This is a new WIP of an 'articulated telescopic aerial platform' ...on tracks. I wanted to build one of those to go together with the rough terrain crane as an add-on. Usually on worksites these work plattforms are a common sight and work well together with cranes.

Here's my inspiration foto:

800aj-gallery-silo.png

My version is on tracks, because I'm not so good in making a wheelbase with steering and propulsion. The track base is derived from the b-model of the 42094 set. My MOC has 6 motors:

2 L-motors for the tracks

1 M-motor for slewing

1 M-motor for extending the boom

1 L-motor for raising the first stage of the boom

1 L-motor for raising the second stage of the boom.

The model uses 1 sbrick and 1 IR receiver

Still to do is the panelling of the main body, and building the plattform itself.

Here are some fotos:

20190202_095217.jpg

20190202_095556.jpg

20190202_100021.jpg

20190211_103923.jpg

20190211_103934.jpg

20190211_104001.jpg

That's all for now, comments and suggestions are always welcome

I've actually wanted to build this exact machine for a while now, and it seems you have done a good job mechanically. I'm excited to see its development!

Looks great, make sure to put small pneumatic cylinders - one at the basket and one at the main joint - to level out the basket when moving the upper arm. You can easily do this with a valve as an inlet to pressurize the system

2 minutes ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

Looks great, make sure to put small pneumatic cylinders - one at the basket and one at the main joint - to level out the basket when moving the upper arm. You can easily do this with a valve as an inlet to pressurize the system

That's indeed a very good idea, I was already breaking my head on how to do the levelling mechanism, I hope I can make it work properly

Hello All,

I did again some work on my lift.I installed a preliminary basket and I reworked the base, because it turned out that it was not solid enough, it was flexing a lot and couldn't handle the extra weight of the basket. The basket is auto-levelled by means of pneumatic pumps. I revised the gearing of the upper LA and also the gearing of the rotation motor has been revised. I decided to put the battery box on the arm itself for better weight balance, like this the turret can be kept as small as possible. The only thing is that the lower LA is now struggling to lift the arm the first mm's.

Things to do are, routing all the cables and pneumatic hoses, find a place for the Sbrick and IR receivers, and rework the turret (again) for better balance and centre of gravity. Also still to do is better paneling.

Here are some fotos

20190305_204029.jpg

20190305_203816.jpg

20190305_203725.jpg

20190305_203716.jpg

The cylinder is compressed automatically by gravity-weight of the basket

20190305_204012.jpg

Finished Build,

Hello all,

I finally finished my build of the aerial lift. I'm not really into aesthetics, so the base turret maybe looks a bit unfinished. But the model works and I have already another MOC in mind so I'll leave it with this. For this final episode I reworked the base again and this resulted in a much better weight balance so I could move the battery box to the base in a much better position. The automatic balancing of the plattform works ok-ish. Because it works with air,  the compression/extension of the platform cylinder lags behind to that of the pilot cylinders. Probably It can function better with larger pilot cylinders but that would make the model to big. I managed to make a small video, forgive me of the quality video making is not one of my strong points

[media]

20190317_100813.jpg

20190317_100906.jpg

20190317_102720.jpg

20190317_102816.jpg

20190317_102850.jpg

20190317_102836.jpg

What a nice build! It's a prototype I've not seen often in LEGO, and it works perfectly. I love that the aesthetics are a bit "rough", with all the mechanics on show. To me, it's a good, functionally-accurate Technic model.

It's definitely a prototype looking model, but it works flawlessly. The fact that the air cylinders lags behind a bit is just a restriction of using Lego in the first place. I'm sure someone else will try and recreate something similar.

I'd say, mission accomplished ?