Unfinished_Projects

Resurrection of some old 12v tracks (powering new trains)

Hello,

I'm creating this write-up to share my experience buying and operating a set of old 12v track in the US.  I had been wanting some 12v track and motors since I was in middle school (and I'm in college right now, so yes my tastes in Lego have always been old and expensive haha) but hadn't found the right lot until about a week ago.  I managed to score the following lot on ebay for a good price:

IMG_20190125_164649

It is a decent amount of stuff, but some key things are missing: motor (the blue one in picture is 4.5v and doesn't work), transformer, and the piece for connecting to the track.

My goal was to have an operating train for as cheaply as possible.  Hopefully these ideas can help someone else out who wants to make use of older track without spending a fortune.

FOR PURISTS:  I handled all of these missing components in an unorthodox way that includes modification of vintage parts, so consider yourself warned *oh2* 

Motor:

Instead of buying original 12v motors, which are only available for crazy amounts of money on bricklink, I chose to use @bricks n bolts method of picking up track power and using it to drive PF motors (https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/63535-mod-7745-to-use-the-pf-motor-still-on-12v-track/   I know it was a little while ago, but thank you @bricks n bolts for sharing! :classic:)   The process of cutting down the pins was pretty straightforward.  I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel to make the initial cut and a sanding wheel to finish things up.  If anyone attempts to do this, try to keep the pin cool, as I melted the plastic a bit on one of my pick-ups.  I also ended up cutting off the curved section of one pick-up, to accommodate for the magnet assembly. 

IMG_20190126_134328IMG_20190126_134518IMG_20190126_182936IMG_20190126_175728

Connecting to track:

To connect to the track, I simply soldered some wire to the little tabs on the bottom of the rail.  The correct part for connecting to these blue rails isn't that expensive on bricklink...if you don't factor in overseas shipping.

IMG_20190126_171141

Transformer:

Since I live in the US, using an original transformer would require a converter (I had no luck finding the 110v version on bricklink or ebay).  I originally thought of using a model train transformer of some kind, but wasn't sure so I asked here on the train tech.  @dr_spock suggested a cheap DC motor controller and a generic 12v DC wall adapter (Thanks! :classic:).  This ended up working perfectly, and was quite cheap.  Only downside is no reverse, but I'm ok with that for how much I spent. 

IMG_20190126_190934

Final Result:

With everything together I swapped out one of the motors on my Powered Boxcar (https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/169681-moc-powered-boxcar-power-functions/) with the completed pick-up bogie and turned on the speed controller.  It worked perfectly! I now have a functioning 12v loop that powers my newer trains! I do however have to watch out that I don't over-power the PF stuff.  I suppose I could have used a 9v power adapter, but I'm leaving room for a 7740 that I hope will join my collection if I find a good deal :grin:

IMG_20190126_195446

VID_20190125_205532
VID_20190126_200025

^These last 2 are videos, you just have to click on them

There's a few more pictures of this project here if interested: https://flic.kr/s/aHskR5KZX3

Thanks for looking!

Unfinished_Projects

Edited by Unfinished_Projects

Update:

One of the train bases had a bent axle that needed fixing.  I was able to pull the wheels off and straighten the axle using a hard metal surface and a hammer.  Using a vise (with rubber caps) I was able to carefully press the wheels back onto the axle.  The base is now ready for use :classic:.

b7bdfcf8-100a-4eb6-9732-69445d87cfbd2ad80c35-8efe-425c-b7d5-1e1f5ae6f1e3165b3183-1471-48d0-a258-d388e0815df8ac3bfe8d-c7c4-486d-a943-19baf97fe9a8

@Unfinished_Projects  For the reverse, couldn't you simply wire in an inexpensive DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) switch in between the output of your transformer and the track?    Run the transformer output to the center (input) contacts on the switch.   Wire one set of outputs to the track feed wiring, and the other set of outputs to the same track feed wiring, but cross the polarity.    Since the non-selected output of the DPDT switch has no internal connection, you'll avoid a short in your train feed wiring.   I can't imagine the switch would be more than a couple dollars, and for the rest, you'd need just some wire, and your soldering skills.   You might also need heat-shrink tubing, or electrical tape, to insulate any connections you make.   This should be a great, inexpensive solution.