Sign in to follow this  
Jerac

Speed Champion Ferrari 312T4 remodel

Hello there!

Finished model first.

RWKrlHg.png

While I usually build space-themed things and this year was Star Wars and nothing else, I also love the Speed Champions theme. It is amazing how recognizable the cars are, even if the proportions are not peffect. So recently I got few more sets, inlcuding the Ferrari Garage - mostly for the beautiful 250 GTO. and the one which took my attention most was the old 312T4 Ferrari Formula 1 racing car. You see, the original car is not really too nice. It is rectangular, ill-proportioned, especially with its double decker nose and deep side skirts... it does not have to be nice. It is brutal, powerful and fast. This is what it was built for.

Yet the Speed Champions rendition is cute. 

So I tried to fix it... and give it more proper proportions. 

But there was no way to fix it. Speed Champions cars are built around minifigs. They model the car around minifig shape and carry its inaccuracies to the final design. So I ditched the minifig, left only its head and a helmet. Having that done everything else was pretty much trivial. Quick look at the blueprint, basic, almost SNOT-less construction, a bit different sticker job and here it is: the remodelled 312T4. What do you think? 

Z19nMrz.png

S3a6us5.png

ze3zrBB.png

1ig9IGR.png

51 minutes ago, Jerac said:

ze3zrBB.png

Well hello fantastic looking MOC! I specifically am fond of this pic! Great job!

Edited by Daanski

Amazing! especially the rear shot looks like the car is much bigger and more detailed then a speed champion!

(personally i dont like the 312T4 much though, i much much prefer the T2, if TLG had included Laudas T2 in the ferrari set, i might have reconsidered picking it up)

Stunning, there isn't really much to say. The back is very well executed and the stickers are very well applied too. That's just a very pretty car well done. 

I'd seen this but not commented before - everything about this model is great. The rear end with the suspension is fantastic as others have mentioned, and I hadn't noticed before that you layered tires to get a really fat look going.

Great job, and it's nice to see this thread pop back up from the depths.