Sign in to follow this  
ProvenceTristram

[MOC] Southern Railway GP30 Locomotive

UGH. If I had known the sheer pain involved in designing this thing, I never, EVER would have embarked upon a project of this sorts. There are just so many funky angles involved - especially with the turbo charger and the top/front of the cab (and even then, my solutions aren't by any means perfect). I'm happy with the result, but this was just nasty - way, way worse than a steam locomotive (or any diesel I have done previously). And, the thing is, I find doing steamers almost cathartic. This was HORROR from beginning to end. BLARRRRR!

Oh, and obviously some significant decals and stickers would be needed to complete the paint job.

Proto:

XMf8I11.jpg

eqGiCfW.jpg

S1P1mLj.jpg

iizQBZk.jpg

ZN1S2R3.jpg

8uFrCjV.png

Model (Bluerender):

oDDxLml.png

PUvbsuA.png

LI7GSiQ.png

2IK5XDl.png

Model (LDD):

grapqOQ.png

tGjtGxG.png

cQFJhbF.png

KwKRpWA.png

TxMb9fO.png

Edited by ProvenceTristram

Nice work! I like the use of train wheels on top for the fans. Also like the side railings. 

You may hate it, but you've done fine work.  This is a sweet model of a rare prototype, and I would happily brick-link & build it--if only it were 6-wide.  It's a real charmer, and, even if you're not, I am very glad you did it.  :laugh:

Thank you!

I've always loved how the British and American 'Southern Railways' used exactly the same font and colour for their logo.

2 hours ago, ivanlan9 said:

You may hate it, but you've done fine work.  This is a sweet model of a rare prototype, and I would happily brick-link & build it--if only it were 6-wide.  It's a real charmer, and, even if you're not, I am very glad you did it.  :laugh:

Thank you!

Thanks.

I don't hate the result, just the process :P. When I finally got the trucks right, I was like "okay! Smooth sailing from here!" I've done diesels numerous times before, and on most occasions, that was true... just not with this one. It seemed like every stage after that was some unexpected headache (like, I've never had difficulty finding a spot to hide the IR receiver... but there's a first time for everything XD). The fault was mine, of course - I should have seen those turbocharger blisters and been like "whoa there," but I was foolish, and thought it would just come together. My mistake.

I am, however, very proud of the way the turbocharger bends inwards into the flank of the locomotive. That SNOT/slope solution took a good 20 minutes to reason out, but I think it's the best possible result given the pieces at our disposal.

Edited by ProvenceTristram

I had never seen a high hood GP30, how odd looking (the prototype, not your build). There is a lot of great detail that becomes so much clearer in the lighter colors of the UP renders. There are some neat tricks I've not seen before on the trucks and the ends of the engine.