Sign in to follow this  
Brick-Wombat

[MOC] Turbo Lasers

Started out wanting to make a mini-scale DBY-827 (The dual heavy turbo on the Venator). Unfortunately, there's no singular source for the proper shape. 

So, it started out simple.

Spoiler

BRe30KT.png

And then got a little bigger as I looked at some other sources.

Spoiler

eVxmxZ9.png

And even bigger (hopefully more accurate too)

Spoiler

xR9piVp.png

And then I had to make the ISD octuple barbette. Because.... reasons.

Spoiler

R8U3fyc.png

References.

Spoiler

TicEvUW.png

jk7TNH5.png

^ Looks good, both of them! The DBY seems slightly larger than the Varszegi-sized Venator scale. Have you ever seen this? It is not very true to the reference from the cross sections book, which I personally also like. I wonder what this guy used, or if its just a creative liberty. Anyway, I think that bigger scale detailed version would make for a great standalone moc!

Great builds, I like how you've shown the stages up to the final model, now you just need a huge Venator to place them onto!

3 hours ago, krisandkris12 said:

^ Looks good, both of them! The DBY seems slightly larger than the Varszegi-sized Venator scale. Have you ever seen this? It is not very true to the reference from the cross sections book, which I personally also like. I wonder what this guy used, or if its just a creative liberty. Anyway, I think that bigger scale detailed version would make for a great standalone moc!

Absolutely! Seeing that Venator was the first time my jaw literally dropped with regard to a LEGO MOC. Truly incredible!! Considering how long ago that was built, I wonder if the cross sections book even existed?

I'll likely build it IRL with a small fighter next to it for scale, possibly a jedi starfighter such as set 6966 below. Although I might need to make a custom fighter build if the scale isn't exactly correct. On that note, I don't see actual dimensions for the DBY anywhere, so I'd probably have to manually estimate using Venator images. 

main.jpg

3 hours ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Great builds, I like how you've shown the stages up to the final model, now you just need a huge Venator to place them onto!

Isn't that how it usually works? Start out with something simple, and you keep iterating until you're satisfied! 

And, yes, I'll get right on that. Considering its size w.r.t Varszegi's turret, that be a 10ft+ MOC! 

@K_W Well the original Varszegis build (the one with almost your DBY size) was likely built before or very close to the cross section book release. But even then, there is no reason to put the cross section as 'THE' one that have it correct. In fact, as far as I can tell, their Venator looks slightly distorted compared to the movie. Nonetheless, i really like their version of DBY :) Anyway, what I was referring is the bigger version of the canon (approx twice as big in each dimension) built by Sylvain Balivet as a part of his truly giant 16 ft Venator project, which sadly seems to have been put aside or scrapped completely.

I am not sure about the exact dimensions either, but I think educated guess based of some proportions math from references should direct you well enough. Safe to say that the size to scale well with fighter like you mention will give you very substantial build! :D I would love to see that.

In fact I would swear I saw a big canon build which even had some minifig interior, probably not minifig scale but BIG for sure, which basically represented the whole section cutout from the cross sec. book. But I can't find it now even after putting some time into it, so I start to question myself on that :D

@krisandkris12 ah, gotcha. Yeah, that'd be a very respectable standalone MOC, albeit larger than I'd be willing to display. 

I had no idea he had plans for a 16ft version! That's insane!!

Edited by K_W

Do you have any more views of the DBY-827 TURRET(The last version from above) ie back view,side view top . would be appreciated.xR9piVp.png