Sign in to follow this  
cptkent

A PUP (Power UP) question

Hi,

I've tried to follow the PF threads as they evolve, but still need help with a question:

• If I pull the 'm motor' out of the new PUP bat mobile (76112) can I use it with the new battery box and controller, like any other M motor. What restrictions would I face?

I am building a small shunter - no room for an IR controller, and want to use the PUP M motor and PUP battery box only.

Thanks

Well it should just work, maybe not with the LEGO train app, just test it I would say...

If I understand Sariel's video on YouTube right, then it does work, but you need to keep the Plus or Minus button pressed all the time the motor should run. In comparison the train motor runs without pressing the knob on the remote control. Seems like the PUP motors send an ID to the hub and the hub behaves different depending on the type of motor connected.

Best regards, 

Holger

18 minutes ago, HoMa said:

Seems like the PUP motors send an ID to the hub and the hub behaves different depending on the type of motor connected.

Yes, and or LUGs PUP passanger train is buggy now and if the train motor is connected to the HUB's left port it identifies the motor as a technic motor and works only on full speed while the + or - button is pressed.

Even after disconnect, reconnect, turn on, off, etc.

I plugged the train motor to the other port of the HUB and now works as expected, but left port still thinks the train motor is a technic motor. Annoying.

(And what about steam builders? There will be no speed control for them in PUP, just continuously pressed buttons, nice... )

5 hours ago, Ashi Valkoinen said:

Yes, and or LUGs PUP passanger train is buggy now and if the train motor is connected to the HUB's left port it identifies the motor as a technic motor and works only on full speed while the + or - button is pressed.

Even after disconnect, reconnect, turn on, off, etc.

I plugged the train motor to the other port of the HUB and now works as expected, but left port still thinks the train motor is a technic motor. Annoying.

(And what about steam builders? There will be no speed control for them in PUP, just continuously pressed buttons, nice... )

What? Where's this info come from? And what could a steam verse diesel electric possibly have to do with it?

Steam engines have bigger wheels and most builder who drives these big wheels used Power Function M,L or XL motors and powered the wheels through gears (instead of using a single train motor we are get used to put under electric and diesel engines with usual wheel diameter). The problem is that the 5th and 6th wires in the Powered UP cable (remember: Power Function had 4 wires) serve as identification, so the hub (battery box with integrated bluetooth receiver) knows, what you have plugged in, and the physical remote buttons (+ and -) act differently with different motors connected.

If you connect train motor, it acts like the old Power Function train (speed) remote control.

If you connect technic motors, it acts like the old Power Function technic remote control (which allowed no speed, just full throttle until the remote is pressed).

So according these you can't speed remote control a steam loco powered with NOT train motor in the new system, since the physical bluetooth remote will act as a technic remote, allowing only full throttle.

---

And my bug is that my hub's left port identifies the train motor as technic motor, and allows only full throttle which is totally useless for the passanger train.

It seems the PU firmware is only in a very early development state. LEGO itself announced there will be several updates in the future to enable programing comparable to Boost. (Source: interviews with the developers at promobricks and Zusammengebaut.com) but we still have to wait until 2019. I hope this will solve the problem with the running modes of the different motors.

At the moment the firmware can only deliver dedicated solutions for the stubby batmobil and the two trains. Neither the Hogwarts Express nor the holiday train with large wheels have original motorization ...

Edited by Giottist