Sign in to follow this  
Brickmaster

Modding Mini Baraki Heads to Fit Minifigs

Well, something I had been contemplating a while was using barraki minifigure heads on normal system minifigs. You cannot do this normally - because the heads usually attatch by means of pin, rather than the normal minifigure 'neck' size. I took it upon myself to mod this, and I'll take you along the experience! *sweet*

image002.jpg

First off I tried scraping away at the inner head slowly. Tedious, but I did it for a long while with quite some results.

image004.jpg

It hurt after awhile.

Well, then I thought, hey, why not drill! So I did. First I used caution (and too small of a bit). This eventual wear down going in circles to open the gap abit more, with slight pressure, eventually gave way. Which led to me ruining the white head I worked hard on.

No worries though! I figured out the next drillbit size up was perfect! 3/16 is the perfect size for a minifigure neck. (About 4.75 cm).

After wasting a half an hour on the white head. Whithin a minuite, the dark blue head was done, and perfect.

image006.jpg

Viola! My quest complete.

image008.jpg

As for the white head.. can you see the hole?

image001.jpg

How about now?

Well. Success! Just to make sure, I decided to make another one. And take pictures!

image012.jpg

Again, using a 3/16 inch drill bit, and a cordless drill, a firm grip, you will soon find the head to look like..

image013.jpg

This. See the plastic shavings? Yay!

image014.jpg

And through the end of it all, I got my minifigures! This can be done with any barraki head. Feel free to try for yourself, however, be careful of the drill. Be steady now! What I did, was marker on the bit, approximately how far I wanted it to go in. When the neck got near the line, I stopped. Be careful if you do try. Don't ruin one like me!

Sorry for dark or crummy pictures. This was all at my desk, and a spur of the moment thing. Hope you enjoyed my little adventure! *sweet*

Question, question! Do you know if any of the other mini Bionicle heads normally fit minifigs? I just ordered a few, I hope they do... 8-|

This is a good idea that I was going to do once I got my heads. X-D

*sweet*

Question, question! Do you know if any of the other mini Bionicle heads normally fit minifigs? I just ordered a few, I hope they do...

None of the barraki undersea mini's have heads that fit necks fully. They only have a little bit that they can use to hook onto the neck, making them look.. kinda odd.

Thankfully that start is there so you know the right size if you hollow it out. *sweet*

Be careful if you do mod them! I'm happy to help anyone if they need any :-$

None of the barraki undersea mini's have heads that fit necks fully. They only have a little bit that they can use to hook onto the neck, making them look.. kinda odd.

Thankfully that start is there so you know the right size if you hollow it out. *sweet*

Be careful if you do mod them! I'm happy to help anyone if they need any :-$

I understand that none of the Barraki do, I was wondering about some of the others.

Oh, I would be extremely careful if I do mod them, I don't want to mess them up. *n*

If I need your help, I might ask X-D

*sweet*

Edited by ExoBuilder

As far as I know, none of the others would either - as the minis after the first playset line seemed to use the same system as these.

Infact I just looked them up - they use the same bodies as the barraki figs, which means, their head connection should be the same. ;-)

As far as I know, none of the others would either - as the minis after the first playset line seemed to use the same system as these.

Infact I just looked them up - they use the same bodies as the barraki figs, which means, their head connection should be the same. ;-)

Darn, I guess I'll have to mod a few of them then :-/ Thanks BrickMaster! *y*

*sweet*

Darn, I guess I'll have to mod a few of them then :-/ Thanks BrickMaster! *y*

*sweet*

Happy to help. And just sayin, try to modify the head you like the least, first. I made the mistake of modding the one I wanted most, and guess what. I messed it up *wacko*

Good goin' Brickmaster! Very cool indeed, nicely done. Well, for the second two any way. :-P

~Peace

I've been doing a few more too. The ones with teeth baring make for great aliens, I love how they're turning out - I'll be sure to have some sort of moc around them :-$

Never having got the Bionicle minifigs, I was totally unaware until now that the heads weren't compatible with System minifigs!

What was Lego thinking? I mean... why try to stunt the beauty of cross-promotion?

Minifigs without minifig neck connections? Horrendous failure.

Anyway, thanks for mentioning that the standard necks are 3/16ths. Much customization can take place with such knowledge. *sweet*

I've tried doing this with a Toa head before, unfortunately I only have scissors available to me (!), so I go back to it occasionally and hollow a bit more out. I find that with any Bionicle minifigure heads, you can still put them on minifig torso, but just add a bit of bulk underneath, like using one of these as armour. The Piraka heads look great on a minifig body with that as armour!

*skull*