Murdoch17

Wild Western railroad locomotive Armstrong turntable

I was inspired by a failed Ideas project railroad round house and shed from this builder to make this Wild West armstrong turn table in LDD. I'm thinking of doing this model instead of the the two track shed, as it is a bit smaller than the twice-as-tall shed.

40671927340_e95d3bc9fd_z.jpg

As this a mechanical table powered by brute force and not steam, electric, or pneumatic means, the table has four angled "iron" bars for mini-figures to grip to pretend-turn the table manually. (This type of table is called an armstrong turn table.)

42479607891_8ffa511319_z.jpg

The two sets of tiles on the middle of the table should have this GREAT  and this WEST  prints from the Toy Story 3 line.

NOTE: The flex tracks are supposed to be taken apart into two halves for them to fit on the table ends. You should only need one flex track instead of two as shown, as one whole equals two half units.

42479607771_78b558d5de_z.jpg

The 3 and 1/2 track long table has eight tracks radiating outwards on it, with the possibility of more or less tracks if needed being an option in the future. If this was built in real life, the four main locomotives will enter on the bottom-most track and proceed to be rotated to the correct stub-end track for storage. However, the BTTF Time Train cannot fit on the rotating table, (it's just a bit too long) so it will sit on the straight-through track and just run across the table to get off at the other side.

(All the items but the blue steam engine and table itself have been bought and built in real life.)

As usual, comments, questions, suggestions, and complaints are always welcome!

Very nice! Making the turning mechanism is always the hardest part though. I did one with round monorail tracks and a monorail motor, that worked well. 

On 6/3/2018 at 9:04 AM, JopieK said:

Very nice! Making the turning mechanism is always the hardest part though. I did one with round monorail tracks and a monorail motor, that worked well. 

Thank you! I would like to see your monorail solution.... got any pictures @JopieK?

24 minutes ago, Freezingvettes99 said:

What type of mechanism would this rotate on?  

27691469417_f7ae280ebf_z.jpg

The turntable sits on a 2 x 2 turn-plate to allow for quick and easy movements in either direction, while the two wheels at either end of the model keep the table balanced and stable. Does this answer your question @Freezingvettes99?

12 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

Thank you! I would like to see your monorail solution.... got any pictures @JopieK?

27691469417_f7ae280ebf_z.jpg

The turntable sits on a 2 x 2 turn-plate to allow for quick and easy movements in either direction, while the two wheels at either end of the model keep the table balanced and stable. Does this answer your question @Freezingvettes99?

That makes sense, thanks!

I don't have a version built up anymore, but you need a large pit and that is the downside of it, although most European turntables are built like that. In Holland there are only a few that survived, but in Germany they are many more.