Sign in to follow this  
ReplicaOfLife

[Modular] The Mage's Mansion (MOD of 76108 Sanctum Sanctorum)

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a copy of set 76108 - Sanctum Sanctorum Showdown, with the only intent to turn the Sanctum Sanctorum part into a modular building. I had liked it from the moment I saw it, and liked it even more when I saw the first mods that added another floor. So that's what I did.

I bought the set without the figures, so I got it pretty cheap. That also provided a nice excuse to come up with a new backstory for it :laugh:. More on that with the pictures...

Diverging from my usual modus operandi, I didn't plan anything ahead this time. Since I had bought a couple of sets for parts over the last year, and also have a lot of pieces left over from all the modulars, creator houses I slaughtered to get parts for my previous MOCs, I just sat down with my parts collection and the set and started building. I finished the entire thing in less than a week, and had lots of fun doing it. While it can be maddening when you miss one part, building with bricks and sifting through your parts get's the creative juices flowing quite differently than planning in LDD.

I'd estimate that the finished model consists of maybe 1500-1750 pieces (I used lots of large panel pieces for the side walls). There's no instructions, and no LDD file.

If you prefer to view the pictures directly on flickr, clikc here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131278188@N08/albums/72157693939752522

There's also a few more than I show here.

41361003835_b02d82c5c1_b.jpg

The front facade is pretty much unchanged from the set, only set on a standard baseplate according to modular specs, and extended by one additional floor.

27392170467_e07bc9f216_b.jpg

42216094652_f4b3a298df_c.jpg

I was pretty much scraping together all medium dark flesh bricks I had for the additional floor. Still had to use three dark orange bricks to complete it, but it works out fine, I think.

42262943911_917cd941b6_b.jpg

The back went through several iterations. It takes some cues from the front, but is plainer.

28389035578_460c6d61c6_c.jpg

Detail view of the small balcony up on the top floor. Inside, we see the self-proclaimed mage that lives here.

42216124532_ef6ae0ac0c_c.jpg

The ground floor has a dazzingly red floor. Had these tiles on hand, didn't know what to do with them, so in they went...

Otherwise, it looks normal enough...cozy armchair under the stairs in front of a large TV...

42262977691_4b3cf32b49_c.jpg

... small kitchen area and a place to eat.      

41361055315_8b9283c475_c.jpg

The second floor houses the mage's bed- and bathroom. Still, nothing too out of the ordinary to see here.

42216147212_afbaec9e55_c.jpg

Wondering what's in the chest? Me, too...unfortunately, she keeps it locked at all times.

27392157437_1dcae8f6a1_b.jpg

Next floor... For the first time, we meet the mage. When you ask her what she's doing, she'll go on about how she's tapping into the arcane lifeforce that surrounds us and permeates everything. She does "research" on which materials are a good source for it (or "congenial vessels of the earthmother's pulse", as she puts it), and how it can be extracted.

If you ask her neighbours about her, they'll say things like "Oh, her?! She's just batshit crazy! Let's just hope that when she eventually burns down her house, the fire department gets here before the fire spreads!".

40456094360_5cb211db3f_c.jpg

41541065254_59d6b67761_c.jpg

We have arrived on the top most floor. Here, the self-proclaimed mage does her 'experiments', which usually involve grinding and burning stuff.

41360961895_617628a480_b.jpg

As on the floor below, the shelves are packed with arcane books, some merele esoteric, and some pretty occult. They also contain precious artefacts she collected over the years - usually paying way too much for them at yard sales...

Finally here's a comparison shot with the Pet Shop:

27392135637_e277bbdf8c_c.jpg

Looks a bit too high, or maybe the Pet Shop is just too small...

41541049164_504490c62a_c.jpg

There, better :laugh:

So, that's it :classic:. Hope you like it, let me know what you think!

As I said there's a few more pics on flickr, so check them out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131278188@N08/albums/72157693939752522

Cheers,

Tobias / Roger_Smith

When I read the title I was thinking: Urm... Another one? It's not like most of them are any good, are they? But no, I was wrong. It has some style that some other attempts lack, maybe due to not wanting to make both buildings into one. I like it a lot!

Edited by paupadros
Curse you, spelling!

I really like this. A few people have had a go at turning this set in to a modular building but yours is one of the best I've seen. It works really well as a 16 wide modular.

Really like what you've done with the interior too.

It's also very helpful to see the model photographed alongside official modulars as it helps to give a sense of the size. I think it looks fantastic next to the pet shop buildings and your modified versions as well.

9 hours ago, paupadros said:

When I read the title I was thinking: Urm... Another one? It's not like most of them are any good, are they? But no, I was wrong. It has some style that some other attampts lack, maybe due to not wanting to make both buildings into one. I like it a lot!

Thanks. Frankly, I don't care for the other building, so I just added those parts to my collection :classic:

8 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

I really like this. A few people have had a go at turning this set in to a modular building but yours is one of the best I've seen. It works really well as a 16 wide modular.

Really like what you've done with the interior too.

It's also very helpful to see the model photographed alongside official modulars as it helps to give a sense of the size. I think it looks fantastic next to the pet shop buildings and your modified versions as well.

Thanks, glad you lke it!