Leewan

[MOC] 21307 Caterham Seven 620R - Microscale

Late January, brickset launched a competition for the 60th anniversary of the Lego brick. I initially didn't plan on entering, but, having built two tiny construction vehicles during the same period, I decided to finally try something when I saw they posted a reminder, a bit over a week before the end.

So I had a bit more than a week to build something. I chose the Caterham because :

-It hadn't been done before at this scale

-It's an excellent set, and therefore a good example of what can be achieved with Lego bricks

-I thought this part would be perfect for the hood

However, I quickly scrapped the idea of using a CCBS shell for the hood, I couldn't integrate it properly in the rest of the MOC. After that, I've spent days and days rebuilding the car to get accurate proportions (at one point, it looked like this - the front was clearly too wide), almost until the very end. The most difficult part was to find a way to connect the two fender parts together (which I haven't been able to do, actually). In the end, the MOC looks like this :

40844977941_40f85741e3_z.jpg

There are a lot of fragile connections, and because of that, I wasn't expecting to win at all... but I did.

Some people were even interested in building their own copy of the MOC, which is now possible thanks to @DanSto, who created building instructions of the MOC. You can get the PDF here, and obtain a parts list from the Mecabricks page of the model (click on the Inventory tab).