Bricksmith

Ways of adding 'lining' to train MOCs

Hi all, I thought I'd share something I've been exploring recently in the realm of detailing trains.

A lot of builders I know have found some way or another to detail their builds with lining- especially steam engines, where companies would choose to highlight the shape of their locomotives by following the edges with beautifully painted lines.

There are multiple ways of doing this, all with different styles and effects to them. I thought i'd highlight a few I've noticed and share what I've done. I don't have the most experience, so if anyone uses other methods, please highlight them!!

The 'purest', and possibly easiest way to do lines, of course, is to brick-build them. Here is an excellent example from BritishBricks on Flickr, who used this method for his amazing 'Duchess of Hamilton' and streamlined P2 design - not only for the lines, but for the letters of the tender also:

25455950128_0b810c1131.jpg37111973034_39b34c68f0.jpg

For boiler lining, an interesting method is to use official Lego elastic bands, seen here on Andrew Harvey's Metro Line builds.

4447743706_45656d5120.jpg8638493200_ac174dff6d.jpg

Another popular alternative is to print or decal the lines on, For example on @Paperballpark's Flying Scotsman (Printed) and WideSquare Media's 'Thomas' MOC (Decals):

18269537932_41dd8fbbdc.jpg38324024851_1d556e32fc.jpg

The method I went with myself was to use stickers. You can get special tape (Google 'TrimLine tape'), usually used on model planes. It takes a steady hand and a lot of patience (neither of which I think I have, but oh well), but for smaller trains, like narrow gauge or 6 - wide, it seemed the most effective (and possibly economical) option.

40886543862_3dae8e6979.jpg39115697270_66c3c80506.jpg

40925503931_cc58b1fa13.jpg39136357410_96bbf8f237.jpg

Of course, You don't necessarily have to use just one method- you can mix and match! Carl Geartrix has used multiple methods in the same build and they look terrific!

8731717208_9cd01c5020.jpg3049697647_839e719b11.jpg

I hope this post has helped people with their builds, let me know if I have missed any methods!!

-Isaac.

Edited by Bricksmith

Great overview Issac! 

Brick build stripes also can be done using micro-striping methods, e.g. The thin upper part of hinge bricks, brackets and flags.

LEGO BR 10 steam engine

My BR 10 uses black hinge bricks and white tips for the fine stripe on the side of the cabin and tender.

Holger

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:37 AM, HoMa said:

Great overview Issac! 

Brick build stripes also can be done using micro-striping methods, e.g. The thin upper part of hinge bricks, brackets and flags.

Oh I like that!! Very clever too, especially the use of the hinge pieces.

does anyone know where you can get the huge read train wheels like in HoMa's picture?

On 3/22/2018 at 2:37 AM, HoMa said:

LEGO BR 10 steam engine

THX

@LegoBrick1 check www.bigbenbricks.com for the small and large wheels.

Building instructions and parts list of this BR 10 engine are available at my website www.holgermatthes.de/bricks

On 25/03/2018 at 8:02 AM, HoMa said:

Building instructions and parts list of this BR 10 engine are available at my website www.holgermatthes.de/bricks

Hi Holger,

Firstly, let me say how much I enjoyed your Lego Trains book!

Re your BR 10, you mention on the site that you power it with two PF motors in the tender. When I tried something similar with the Emerald Night I ran into problems, as the wheels on the locomotive connected by the piston rods didn't turn smoothly, so I ended up reverting back to the standard XL motor solution (i.e. powering those wheels directly).

I suspect your BR 10 works more smoothly than the Emerald Night and hence you don't run into the same problem -- is that correct?

Danke.

@DameVeraLynn, running pistons on LEGO steam engines are always tricky to realise. See my video an you will see the wheels not running when the track is not fully even. But I don't mind.

The difference between BR 10 and Emerald Night is the position of the the steam cylinder. I try to build them as low as possible, at least at the same level as the upper part of the wheels. The position of the steam cylinders at Emerald Night is to high (too allow the front wheels to turn better), but the pistons do not like this, esspecially when the main rod is in the lowest position and the piston rod is very much angeled.

More about my BR 10 at http://www.holgermatthes.de/bricks/de/br10.php

Great that you like my book :-)

Holger

7 hours ago, HoMa said:

@DameVeraLynn, running pistons on LEGO steam engines are always tricky to realise. See my video an you will see the wheels not running when the track is not fully even. But I don't mind.

The difference between BR 10 and Emerald Night is the position of the the steam cylinder. I try to build them as low as possible, at least at the same level as the upper part of the wheels. The position of the steam cylinders at Emerald Night is to high (too allow the front wheels to turn better), but the pistons do not like this, esspecially when the main rod is in the lowest position and the piston rod is very much angeled.

Thanks for linking the video, the train looks great!  Have you tried putting O-rings on the flanged drivers in order to improve traction?

On 25/03/2018 at 8:02 AM, HoMa said:

Do you know if BBB wheels are available from anywhere inside the EU?

5 minutes ago, DameVeraLynn said:

Do you know if BBB wheels are available from anywhere inside the EU?

BBB Certainly deliver to the EU - I've ordered them from Britain (we haven't officially left it yet) and they've arrived within a couple of weeks- albeit with a customs charge. There isn't anywhere inside the EU that sells them, and if it would it'd be from buying and re-selling, which would likely be more expensive to cover their costs.

45 minutes ago, Bricksmith said:

BBB Certainly deliver to the EU - I've ordered them from Britain (we haven't officially left it yet) and they've arrived within a couple of weeks- albeit with a customs charge.

Thanks. Was that 20% import VAT on the value of the goods and delivery, plus an £8 admin charge from the Post Office?