jachasedesigns

[MOC] [CUSTOM] X-Wing Star-fighter Variant

MyX-Wing_01MyX-Wing_02MyX-Wing_03MyX-Wing_04MyX-Wing_05MyX-Wing_06

An alternate version of the X-Wing. It's been in my head a while. Finally had time to get it out. Done in New Republic colors, with a Resistance/Rebel alternate coloration. 

Enjoy! 

Very nice.  Sleek and simplified while keeping the design language and major features intact.  I really like the New Republic color scheme, too!

That's a fine interpretation of an old-school XJ, which (if I remember right from the schlocky Star Wars novels I read in middle school) had two big engines embedded in the fuselage, instead of mounted on the wings.

I dig how it’s only got two engines. It looks like a sleek evolution of the design. I wish they used this in the sequels

Holy cow man, I love it!  It's very much like the XJ, but you've certainly made it your own.  The geometry of the ship is awesome but kinda strange, it almost looks like it was smooshed from the top and the sides are bulging out a bit (but in a cool way, don't get me wrong.).  The engines and intakes are really well done, I especially like the multi-studshooter part for the engine exhaust area.  What mechanism did you use for the wings, something like the resistance Xwing, or ratcheting clips like the old Xwings?  Great color schemes for both fighters.

I'd love to see it when/if you build it, and let me know if you post the LDD or sell instructions! :)

15 minutes ago, DrMuttonchops said:

it almost looks like it was smooshed from the top and the sides are bulging out a bit

First, Thank you so much for the kind words. I really wanted to keep it somewhat streamlined (much like the T-70) It is definitely a softer curve from the nose to the tail than on its originator. I think what really contributes is the lack of height from the engines being on the wings. At first I wasn't sure if I really liked it, but it's grown on me. Also presents a smaller target from the direct front or back.

24 minutes ago, DrMuttonchops said:

What mechanism did you use for the wings, something like the resistance Xwing, or ratcheting clips like the old Xwings?

It is ratcheting clips, for now. I am working out a way to do the wings a little different. I am not totally sure what the opening degree will be with those ratcheting clips. Ideally, they are a 20-degree open.

I'm happy to share the LXF. I will post it up when I get off work.

32 minutes ago, TemjinStrife said:

It's almost like they stuck S-foils on a Z-95.

Lol, it does kinda look like that. I may do a version with locked wings; I actually like the idea of that.

33 minutes ago, supertruper1988 said:

Have you used pieces that actually exist in their correct colors?

For the most part, yes. Right now, for the purposes of design, the engine housings are not in actual, available color. Would require tweaking it to be either black or white.

Tkank's a lot for the LXF files

It's a simple model but aerodynamic design.

Edited by setzuna