Hi all,

today I want to show some models I created for the exhibition „Fantasie und Technik“ in Abtsgemünd, Germany on 2./3. december 2017.

All models were operated with only an EV3 Set(+1 small motor in one modelll), the motors and sensors have been plugged in just a few minutes from model to model, here the visitors could help.

It was important to me that the mindstorms components are not hidden, visible and out,. to reveal their function. The models should show that it is also worth about the travelling robots to automate homemade models.   There are almost no transmissions, which would unnecessarily complicate the whole thing, most everything is powered directly from the motor shaft.  

Most of the models could be operated with different programs. All were operated almost exclusively by the visitors.

First MOC ist the parking garage.

P-007.jpg

Interestingly, the MOC consists of four individual parts which are only pushed together: the parking garage, the entrance with " card reader" and barrier, the baseplates to run the robot on and the mindstorms function block.

P-001.jpg
The Park House itself is very classic, the grey palettes are not fixed.

P-004.jpg
The entrance with the barrier, on the right hand side the parking tokens.

P-005.jpg
Chip 13 (1st floor, 3rd place) is inserted.

P-006.jpg
The three Motors move the slider for the plates in all directions: right / left,  driving on / off, slider forward/back

P-002.jpg

P-008.jpg

The entire MOC works with just one color sensor. There are various color markings:

Blue (the high tile) left on the card reader
adjust height ( yellow, right next to it),
card reader with four colors
1 - recognize card(always green)
2 – floor
3 – place
4 - card taken out of reader?  (always green)
And many white dots to be counted for the position....

And here is the video (2:22)

Enjoy!

cu

Werner

Edited by Lok24

Excellent work. I agree wholeheartedly is your decision to expose the workings. It will be an excellent teaching tool and may stimulate more interest in automation of models. It is ironic that when I asked for comments from our local group on a coal loading and unloading model, most people wanted the motors and wires hidden for a cleaner look.

I like your way better.

Ed

Hi Ed,

many thanks for your feddeback.

As I was asked to really show how it is working I decided to build it that way, and indeed the kids could easyly understand which motor drives a certain component.

On the othe hand it is nice if it is "magic", look here

So both is an approach to mindstorms in "normal" MOC, not only robots or technic-MOCs, as you can see I use a lot of the old parts.

My Fork lifter (2015) is an example how to show both. There had been several children who watched it carefully and then explained to me what might happen, and for all of them I removed the house to show the technical details.

Really nice to see Mindstorms making an appearance on the forums. Kudos to you for focusing on the educational potential for the build.