Sign in to follow this  
Tomik

[C-MODEL] 42037 - Off-road Formula

Main model from LEGO Technic set 42037 - Formula Off-Roader doesn't resemble formula at all so I tried to build something closer to formula out of its parts. Since it has huge wheels I call my alternative model "Off-road Formula". It features steering, independent suspension and V4 engine. I began building it more than one year ago and got stuck with front axle. It was the most difficult part of whole model because I had very limited sort of parts - this set lacks connectors, blue 3L pins (it contains just 9 of them) and there are no 5L liftarms in it. Even designers from LEGO decided to build front axle of official B model without suspension...

15093760991_DISPLAY.jpg

15093760992_DISPLAY.jpg

15093761003_DISPLAY.jpg

15093761004_DISPLAY.jpg

1 minute ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

One of my favorite sets, the one that got me into Technic. Very nice C-model. How limited is the suspension travel?

Thank you for comment. It has pretty big suspension travel. It is limited by total compression of shock absorbers for rear axle and by liftarms above shock absorbers for front axle. It can almost hit ground when pushed down.

I like the look of this C-model. 

Has the lack of pins meant that you have had to compromise the rigidity in any way? 

Also, do you have an image of the pieces that haven't been used? 

Nice c-model! I like the position of the front springs a lot. Would like to see a video.

1 hour ago, Boulderer said:

I like the look of this C-model. 

Has the lack of pins meant that you have had to compromise the rigidity in any way? 

Also, do you have an image of the pieces that haven't been used? 

Thank you for comment. I had to make many compromises and substitute 3L pins for pair of black friction pins or axle or something else. I think it is rigid enough anyway just some parts would be connected easier and sturdier with additional 3L pins. The weakest point is connection between rear axle and rest of the vehicle - they are connected just on the bottom of chassis. These are left over parts:

15094404351_DISPLAY.jpg

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

Nice c-model! I like the position of the front springs a lot. Would like to see a video.

Thank you for comment. I will try to do video but don't promise it.