Daedalus304

[MOC] Coos Bay Lumber Co #10 & #11

I've had this pair of locomotives built for a while, but they had a rather long wait for their drive rods and then another for the stickers, and then again after that I needed to get them photographed.

37991491482_cd83fd4164_b.jpg

The real Coos Bay #10 and #11 were both originally in the line for restoration, and #11 is actually currently being restored. #10, however, has had a much more unfortunate tale - sold between a few different railroads with the intent of eventual restoration, but along the way more and more parts were lost until finally it was no longer considered a reasonable cost. Sadly, the real #10 has been scrapped.

I came across the Coos engines on a search online for some engines to work in my eventual layout's yard. I wanted a short, nimble tank engine with a wheelbase less than 2 track segments long, and I wanted ideally a large saddle tank so I could fit all my PF in there and still have a high level of detail. During my search I found the Coos Bay #11, and then learned about #10 as well, and they fit the bill perfectly. Even better, they were locos of logging heritage - which means they match up pretty well with my mallets.

37968732816_a26aa092ae_b.jpg

Each one is powered by a single M-motor hidden in the firebox. Their individual strength is modest, but definitely sufficient for the yard work they're intended for. They also double head nicely, and have a surprisingly decent amount of strength together.

26246197569_ba4836bd0b_b.jpg

Having a pair of locomotives like this, built for a purpose, makes my railway plans feel just a bit more real.

37968729496_0950429c5b_b.jpg

37991503262_f3ba01ed86_b.jpg

A couple more pictures of them can be found in their Flickr Album. I've got a train show coming up in a couple weeks and hope to be able to get some good footage of them running the yard!

Many thanks to Andy Mollman for the excellent stickers and to Zephyr for the fantastic-as-always drive rods!

What a cute pair! :wub:

So many carefully worked out details on these comparably small locomotives. Very inspiring - thanks for sharing!

One question: Why do the two engines have slightly different cylinders? Personally, I like the more rounded shape on #10 better.

A beautiful pair of shunters, well captured. I love that you've even manage to represent the suspension spring underneath the boiler, a tiny detail many probably won't see! I can't wait to see them running around a yard.

9 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

What a cute pair! :wub:

So many carefully worked out details on these comparably small locomotives. Very inspiring - thanks for sharing!

One question: Why do the two engines have slightly different cylinders? Personally, I like the more rounded shape on #10 better.

Thank you! 
The answer is pretty mundane. I didn't have enough curves slopes for both sets of pistons and keep forgetting that it doesn't have them and I need to order more.

6 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

A beautiful pair of shunters, well captured. I love that you've even manage to represent the suspension spring underneath the boiler, a tiny detail many probably won't see! I can't wait to see them running around a yard.

Thanks! The chassis detailing is a big part of the reason I went for these locomotives specifically - the saddle tank is so high and tall that I could hide the battery in there and not have to sacrifice any detailing. I'm glad to hear others enjoy those details as much as I do!

These engines look fantastic with so much detail. A great job recreating a logging railroad. So do you have a logging line on your layout? What about log cars?

11 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

These engines look fantastic with so much detail. A great job recreating a logging railroad. So do you have a logging line on your layout? What about log cars?

Thanks! I plan on having one eventually, but at the moment my layout is little more than a flat loop. My plans are to first get the main loop established and once that's the size I'd like it, I'm going to see about adding in a small branch line for the logging stuff. Depending on what's available as far as crossovers and switches go, I'm planning to have the branch line cross through with the main line and use some of that rail for a short distance, going from outside the loop to the inside.

8 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Great looking set of logging locomotives. You did well with your research and implementation.

Thank you!

Stellar construction there! They are FANTASTIC looking! Would you happen to plan on making instructions for them?