macnavi

HTM 265 - Tram from The Hague, the Netherlands

Hi all,

I believe that every city should have a tram. In many overcrowded Lego cities, there is not much space for long trams. This tram is based on a classic, but timeless design and would fit in perfectly with the retro-modern look of Lego modular cities. It's from the Dutch city of The Hague (Den Haag), which is known world wide for the international court of justice. Going from The Hague to Scheveningen by tram, you will pass it, if I remember well. 

I first thought to submit it to Lego Ideas, but even though I like the design, it is very unlikely it will reach 3000 votes. So I offer the instructions and LDD files for free on my website: http://tramfabriek.nl/lego/htm265.html 

Enjoy!
Sven

collection-1882.png

Edited by macnavi

Very cute! You captured the picturesque tiny tram look. For the signs above each cabin, you should use this piece instead of this

Edited by Beck

That is a very sharp looking tram, really captures the look and feel of that generation and good color choices.

At first glance the signs on the roof looked clunky/sloppy. Without the advantage of a 3D perspective the tiles without any printing jumped out at me as if random colors before my eyes focused. I realize that this is a render, but it would look even sharper with printed bricks or stickers on the signs.

Yes, the signs are quite big. In real life, there is a very thin rod around the number sign, direction colours and light, but hey, this is Lego.

The yellow/blue signs on the back will normally have the direction on it. I am easily able to create stickers with my die cutter, but I actually prefer this. It's abstract, as Lego is.

IMG_1665-small.jpg

I really like this tram. I live in Arnhem, so I see this model tram once in a while while visiting the Openluchtmuseum (although the 274 Arnhem is a little bit blander in colour than the 265 you made in Lego). I don't think it is motorised, is it?

Oh. Lovely design. I was kind of expecting the modern HTM tram, but this is even better. I believe there is one still operational since I see it now and then when I am in The Hague, or is that another model?

Anyway shape, size, colours are all really well done. The lower side and the doors look really good.

Thanks all for the compliments!

14 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

like your solution for the coupling system, and the roller brushes for pantographs! :thumbup:

The coupling system was my own idea (accidentally hit it while experimenting, but I guess that's how it often goes), but most parts of the pantograph I have taken from someone else's design. Don't recall where I got it from.

14 hours ago, alois said:

I don't think it is motorised, is it?

It's not motorised. I don't own Lego motors yet, but I am exited to start to experiment with them to motorise small trams. I am a model tram maker, so I have experience making small, working engines.

31 minutes ago, Man with a hat said:

I believe there is one still operational since I see it now and then when I am in The Hague, or is that another model?

The lower side and the doors look really good.

Below an image of the original. It is indeed still driving in Den Haag, once in a while. You can make a trip from the HTM museum, well worth a visit.

I am quite happy with the inner work of the lower side. It's compact, but strong. I think it's there, including the couplings, where I did most original work. There is of course nothing original about the shape of the front. I tried with curved shapes, but then you have a problem with the windows.

22031533643_9e9fdaf3b4_b.jpg

This is the design I started with: