Kit Bricksto

[MOC] [INSTRUCTIONS] UCS Tantive IV - CR-90 Corvette

On 6/12/2020 at 5:11 PM, Monkfiche said:

@Kit Bricksto Thanks, most appreciated! I’ve not had much of a chance to build more recently due to the family, but just built the blue & white x-wing, and watched The Force Awakens with my 5 year old, so I’m going to try find time to get into it properly again. 

Most recently I tried matching the movie model’s engines, like in this pic...

XZyWTDo.png

It fits fine in stud.io, but unfortunately due to the curvature of the real wheel/engine piece, it creates a huge amount of pressure when all tile pieces are inserted...

Still, I liked the idea, so I wanted to share. :)

hey @Monkfiche, I noticed a lot of the builders have moved away from the white wheels, are people leaning towards LBG/DBG or even Pearl Dark Gray?  thanks!

@gottabekd it’s hard to know. Only Kit will know how many instructions he has sold, and even then, collecting all the pieces may mean less people build it. And even less of them will likely post pics here. 

In the end, it’s all optional, and you can build it whichever way you think looks best. :)

22 hours ago, Monkfiche said:

@gottabekd it’s hard to know. Only Kit will know how many instructions he has sold, and even then, collecting all the pieces may mean less people build it. And even less of them will likely post pics here. 

In the end, it’s all optional, and you can build it whichever way you think looks best. :)

I guess my question is directly to you then @Monkfiche, in some of the photos you posted, the wheels looked almost "pearly" which I thought looked great, but couldnt tell the difference if they were dark pearl gray or just DBG

18 hours ago, gottabekd said:

I guess my question is directly to you then @Monkfiche, in some of the photos you posted, the wheels looked almost "pearly" which I thought looked great, but couldnt tell the difference if they were dark pearl gray or just DBG

Hi,

you can check the pearl dark gray colour on the official set (75244). In my opinion, it looks darker than the normal DBG and I feel it too shiny for this model.

@gottabekd While I don't have any statistics on who decided to use which colour I do think that quite a few builders chose to go for the DBG wheels. I'd imagine there are two main reasons for that. One is that it represents the heat scorching on the engines better than the "new" white ones and the other probably is that it isn't really easy to get large quantities of the white ones in some countries anymore. In fact I had no real problems getting them myself but as soon as a few people had started collecting parts for this model they got a lot harder to track down (in my country at least).

I guess in the end it is down to personal preference, as monkfiche said. I must say that I do also like the dark grey scorched look but chose to use the white parts because most Lego Tantive's seem to use grey engines which isn't that accurate to the original in terms of the base colour and I wanted to set it apart a bit. However if you want to stress the used look of the ship, then dark grey probably is the way to go. :)

22 hours ago, gottabekd said:

Hey, my ones at least are DBG.

@Kit Bricksto   

First of all what a great job you did, really impressive!

I have been eyeing on 75244 set and i came across your MOC and i fell in love with it.

But as this is going to be my first star wars lego, i would like to know if i need to buy 75244 set to build your MOC or is it just better to buy bricks personalty?

And if you don't mind checking how much would it cost as of today(As price from bricklink, preferably from only Canada sellers) to build your MOC?

Thank you

17 hours ago, Seasider said:

This has been sitting under my desk for a while. Time to get building. Any advice?

50206362221_d269e934c4_b.jpg

What I would do, and have done... build some... edit some... order more... build some more... edit that build... order more. That way you never have to open your 2nd box. :)

Greetings!  I'm interested in purchasing the instructions for the Tantive IV but am somehow unable to message you.  How can I go about this?  Thanks!  

EDIT: Figured out the messaging thing, I shot you a PM.  Thanks in advance! 

Edited by Curbthetide

For those of you that have built this, can you give any feedback on what the hardest to find and the most expensive pieces are?

8 hours ago, Csaba said:

For those of you that have built this, can you give any feedback on what the hardest to find and the most expensive pieces are?

Maybe thats not ,all but rare parts are:

1x 2440 white

9x 2515 white

4x 3614b gray

Theres also 1 printed 2x2 tile that is not available anymore. But its not visible.

Edited by treffer21

On 9/11/2020 at 6:15 AM, treffer21 said:

Maybe thats not ,all but rare parts are:

1x 2440 white

9x 2515 white

4x 3614b gray

Theres also 1 printed 2x2 tile that is not available anymore. But its not visible.

Thanks for the feedback. 3614b looks like it'll be expensive for such a small part.

@Kit Bricksto

Fantastic build.  I would love to acquire the building instructions for this great looking MOC.  Not enough posts so if it is possible for you to PM me that would be fantastic. 

So I completed the build a month or so ago and meant to post some form of observation / review. So here goes ...

If you look back a couple of posts you’ll see I had my parts split into 6 large trays, these were all used parts from BrickLink. In my mind the Tantive isn’t supposed to be clean so going for weathered white parts was part of my plan. I then built it gradually over a few weeks.

50551129322_a0f185dac4_b.jpg

I might have made some assembly photos as I went along. This is the point you marry the cockpit to the main body.

Eventually you’ll end up with this.

50550252383_b976f34250_b.jpg

I honestly didn’t appreciate how big this would be. So it’s currently on a desk next to my computers rather than the shelf I’d like it to have gone on (it’s just to big in all dimensions.

So what do I think ?

Well I love it, to me this is the most important ship in the whole of SW as this is what it all started with. @Kit Bricksto has perfectly captured the shape in my opinion and some of the greebling that’s been done are great.

So now for some observations.

As I said I bought all mine as used, to get the tired/battle worn look but also to keep the cost down. Sorry I can’t remember what the cost was but I think it was about the same as an expensive UCS (~£300). I bought from U.K. and Europe sellers. The hard parts were as said before the radar dish, grey ball pin parts and the 11 wheels for the engines. I did a part replacement which was for one of the display screens, which I went for this instead.

50550986406_1725700a32_b.jpg

So some other bits, remember this is a display model. It’s very unwieldy to move and How the engines and body link means getting it perfectly straight are difficult. Also using old bricks I’ve got engine sag.

50551113837_0ce10d0a3a_b.jpg

But I’m not bothered about this. I’m sure I could fix it with some newer bricks with better clutch power.

Also I found a few things in the pdf instructions where some pages repeated a step and some things were skipped. I also added a 2x6 grey plate where I felt it was missing in the main body to hold some white slopes on and I think the instructions have a plate for the stand in the wrong location (but you can check that easily with the stand at the S stage).  The main thing I found is the pdf doesn’t have the grey on the engine. I used an image of various models to decide where to put them, but I know the CAD file contains the grey bits.

50550252378_493d6fd372_b.jpg

So the model is now proudly on display on my desk at home at least until the new year when I may finally get round to building the Falcon and it’ll have to come apart then.

Oh one more comment ... keep the white 1x2 plates with 1 stud and the groove (15573) to one side otherwise it’ll be a nightmare trying to find them in all the 3794s you’ll have.

?

what an incredible creation !! I am crazy about this model that I have been watching for months !!

I will also ask for the plans.

I can't seem to contact Kit Bristo (it seems I don't have enough messages, could you send him a message for me (yes, you reading me, if you have that possibility !!) so that I finalize with him the purchase of instructions !!

Thanks in advance!

@Naixin it’s approximately 2 1/3 A-Wings long.

50594062582_c0f5a654b0_b.jpg

I’ve actually lined up the front of these.

Sorry it’s the only other Star Wars UCS I have built at the moment.

Edited by Seasider

6 hours ago, Seasider said:

@Naixin it’s approximately 2 1/3 A-Wings long.

50594062582_c0f5a654b0_b.jpg

I’ve actually lined up the front of these.

Sorry it’s the only other Star Wars UCS I have built at the moment.

A day you will say than you need more place, if you always made MOC UCS!!!!

So finally what is the total size of this CR90??