marvinblue

Help with fence for train line

Hi all. I'd like to follow the contours of my train line with a fence, to keep my citizens safe, as the train line passes next to my city's green space. Trouble is, I can't seem to figure out how to get the fence to follow the curved track. I've mounted a fence piece on some round 1 x 1 plates, but the stud on the baseplate is just out of reach. I've also experimented with jumpers, but they don't quite line up either, as well as the hinge piece. Is there any way of overcoming this?

20170913.jpg

20170912.jpg

Not really. Maybe if you put them on one jumper and a tile. But it would only be connected with one stud and it's still not rounded like the track.

You could create a new fence like structure with the lego black tubing.

I would build an entirely different fence design, using plates etc mounted vertically. You could then use regular 1x2 hinge plates to allow each plate to follow the curve neatly.

There is the stud with hole you might be able to fit in the pin part on the bottom of those fence pieces.   The 1x2 hinge pieces will give the smoother curve.

6168647.jpg

You could also attach them to the tracks which already have the curve you want.

Attaching to the baseplate, that stud with hole, a bar, and these ladders.

http://thefamilybrick.com/behind-the-family-brick/we-listed-ladders-fences-and-palm-trees-oh-my/attachment/lego-bar-ladder-black-6020-1/

or with your fence pieces, a more delicate connection would be to use a stud/jumper on one side and a tile on the other.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Those fence parts effectively have a 1x4 tile for the base, as such, even if you can get a curve gong, you will always have a gap between each 1x4 fence element.

I would suggest trying this fence:

6079.gif

It has another nice quality, the posts are six studs apart. You can get a 1x6 at roughly a 30° angle to fit on two studs. But in general, you could probably get a real nice curve going using a 1x1 plate under one end and a 1x1 tile under the other to free yourself from the limits of the grid like geometry of lego studs.

Thanks everyone for your replies. The stud with the hole; I hadn't thought of that. I had tried jumpers at either end, but not the tile at one end. The alternate fence piece and the "gate" piece with a pole I hadn't thought of either. I'll have a crack at these ideas and see what works.

Thanks again!

Any thought put into using old train tracks as the tops of the fence??  You could have a blue fence or an old school light gray fence top, and then it's up to you to decide what to put underneath.

I tried the six long fence, but ended up with the same result; in the end, you couldn't match a stud at the other end while keeping the profile of the curve. So, the best solution seemed to be a 1 x 1 round stud with the hole in top, as I could attach it to one of the pegs under neath the fence piece, with a tile at the other end. The ability to either use a peg or gap between the pegs under the fence gives flexibility to pick up a stud on the baseplate, while the tile allows to keep the profile of the curve. Now i have to order more bits! :laugh: Once I get everything I need and finish off the project I'll share pics of the end result. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help with this problem!!

20171010.jpg

20171011.jpg

20171012.jpg