LEGODrongo01

[MOC / MOD] Millennium falcon WIP

Recommended Posts

Alright so I own the set 7965 millennium falcon, and I like it alot, although there is a huge amount of improvement needed to make it more movie accurate. When the new UCS millennium falcon was revealed, i was inspired and started work on my modifications. Inspired by this video

 This is basically the same design as the 7965 but with larger dimensions. I set out to do the same with my Falcon. As I was building, I realized that the set doesnt have a very good front mandible section, so I started redoing the front using ideas from the UCS design. Here is the WIP so far, would love to hear feedback on what should be changed or fixed. I will be posting updates on this thread.

23534216718_77cbf0b143_b.jpgmillennium falcon by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

37129542310_afc4a24b26_b.jpgmillennium falcon cockpit 2 by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

36716224943_92f1515325_b.jpgmillennium falcon mandible 2 by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

23534209678_95c95f5311_b.jpgmillennium falcon back overhead view' by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

36677283714_08d7b66117_b.jpgmillennium falcon mandible 1 by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

37338969986_1d9e72d71b_b.jpgmillennium falcon front thing by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great start buddy, I think it looks fantastic even though the Falcon doesn't appeal to me!

Kind regards, Ellis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Drongo, 

I really enjoy these Falcon-Mods/MOCs as I have been building and rebuilding my own Falcon for about two years now and am considering starting again, once again. :D 

I think the scale you are going for is a good choice as it fits a good amount of detail and goes very well with the canopy pieces. 

Speaking of proportions, I think your mandibles might just end up being too thick in proportion to the rest of the model. I think I'd try making the frame only two technic bricks wide and beef it up just a little bit further with the plates on both the top and bottom. 

Also, make sure that your model is as close to a circle now while you still can. The back half looks like it might be a bit squashed, although it's really hard to tell from the angles you posted so far. 

I wish you the best of luck with this project and hope you'll keep us posted on your progress! But most importantly: enjoy the journey to your own Falcon! Because like Han Solo, you will always be tinkering with it and it'll never be quite finished.. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kit Bricksto said:

Hi Drongo, 

I really enjoy these Falcon-Mods/MOCs as I have been building and rebuilding my own Falcon for about two years now and am considering starting again, once again. :D 

I think the scale you are going for is a good choice as it fits a good amount of detail and goes very well with the canopy pieces. 

Speaking of proportions, I think your mandibles might just end up being too thick in proportion to the rest of the model. I think I'd try making the frame only two technic bricks wide and beef it up just a little bit further with the plates on both the top and bottom. 

Also, make sure that your model is as close to a circle now while you still can. The back half looks like it might be a bit squashed, although it's really hard to tell from the angles you posted so far. 

I wish you the best of luck with this project and hope you'll keep us posted on your progress! But most importantly: enjoy the journey to your own Falcon! Because like Han Solo, you will always be tinkering with it and it'll never be quite finished.. ;)

The back of the ship is usibg the same angles as in the 7965 set, so i think it is circular enough. However i will try your mandible idea today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

The back of the ship is usibg the same angles as in the 7965 set, so i think it is circular enough. However i will try your mandible idea today

Okay, then it's probably just the camera angle that made the back look a bit squashed. That's something you can check much better irl. 

That's basically what I did with the mandibles on my Falcon and they look to be at a similar scale, maybe yours is even a bit smaller. 

Looking forward to what you'll be doing with the interior!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kit Bricksto said:

Okay, then it's probably just the camera angle that made the back look a bit squashed. That's something you can check much better irl. 

That's basically what I did with the mandibles on my Falcon and they look to be at a similar scale, maybe yours is even a bit smaller. 

Looking forward to what you'll be doing with the interior!

With the interior it's probably going to only be the back part which has actual interior detailing, as I have structural stuff going on in the front so that the mandibles aren't so droopy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update 1

Finished the left mandible, greeblies need to be added and i need to make the holes look more round, but thats for another day. made the frame of the right mandible and added greeblies, added gun turret. 

37374686676_e1534ba588_b.jpgmilennium falcon update 2 by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

23569715638_e5f6d95e4a_b.jpgmillennium falcon mandible holes 2 by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

23569712908_0de6819136_b.jpgmillennium falcon mandible holes 1 by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

37164731950_69e438eb8c_b.jpgmillennium falcon mandible greebles by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

next i will start covering up the right mandible.

more pictures on my flickr: https://www.flickr.com/people/138600630@N05/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

update 2

i continued the other mandible and also did the back plating, the detailing isnt done yet and will change. i had to buy some of those 4x4 black plates on ebay. i also started the underside, im not trying to make it accurate, just covering up the ugly stuff.

37391484650_df11c4525b_b.jpgmillennium wip by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

36978713673_e498164a21_b.jpgmillennium falcon back 2 by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

36978711843_33a18626b7_b.jpgmillennium falcon mandibles wip by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

37391479390_63f0b7c19e_b.jpgmillennium falcon underside 1 by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

next im going to try the landing gear.

more pics on my flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138600630@N05/with/37391479390/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

update 3: nearing the end

i have only got a couple more things to do: just need to clean up the underside, do the front plating, and adjust the greebling.

37926477116_d4d99fec80_b.jpgmillennium falcon update by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

37926473646_841771d463_b.jpgmillennium falcon tunnel 3 by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

37270783424_f29c52655a_b.jpgmillennium falcon side view by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

24128711948_344bc39a50_b.jpgmillennium falcon tunnel 2 by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

37270780004_77e43ba414_b.jpgmillennium falcon front plates 2 by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

the cockpit area is really hard to make, weird angles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol I was actually looking at your falcon this morning on flickr! @LEGODrongo01
 

I also own 7965, and with all the UCS hype, I unearthed it from one of my storage containers only to realize that there was a lot to be improved on. So far i've reduced the gaps on the panels, lowered the gun turret and reduced how far the cockpit sticks out. I'm now trying to improved the front mandibles, but I think I might have to redesign them all together. I would love to design them like yours, but I lack the pieces!

Anyway, will be interested to see how yours turns out  :classic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JACKATTACKS said:

Lol I was actually looking at your falcon this morning on flickr! @LEGODrongo01
 

I also own 7965, and with all the UCS hype, I unearthed it from one of my storage containers only to realize that there was a lot to be improved on. So far i've reduced the gaps on the panels, lowered the gun turret and reduced how far the cockpit sticks out. I'm now trying to improved the front mandibles, but I think I might have to redesign them all together. I would love to design them like yours, but I lack the pieces!

Anyway, will be interested to see how yours turns out  :classic:

Yes the mandibles on 7975 / 75105 and the cockpit are easily the most innacurate parts of those sets. Redesining them to be like the ucs set is the best way to go about it i think, its what im doing. But you do need a lot of technic bricks. If you want i can post some pics of the design of mine, or you can download the instructions of 75192 and see how theyre designed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2017 at 10:28 AM, LEGODrongo01 said:

Yes the mandibles on 7975 / 75105 and the cockpit are easily the most innacurate parts of those sets. Redesining them to be like the ucs set is the best way to go about it i think, its what im doing. But you do need a lot of technic bricks. If you want i can post some pics of the design of mine, or you can download the instructions of 75192 and see how theyre designed.

Sorry for the late reply, been busy. I think I have a pretty good idea of how i can do the mandibles now, I just have to find the time to implement it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE: almost finished

my falcon project is almost done, the only things that need doing now are some underside fixes and the cockpit area needs improving. There's nothing in the interior right now, Im going to save that for another day. for now here are the pics.

26430350929_6344171f51_b.jpgmilennium falcon almost done 1 by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

sorry for the bad lighting in this pic

38174924222_8e4519b61e_b.jpgmilennium falcon holes improved by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

i bought some arch pieces on ebay so now the holes in the mandibles are round like they should be.

26430345449_85d1904031_b.jpggun turret improved by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

i made a new gun turret thing, inspired by the one in 75192. 

38174920052_08d03c36ec_b.jpggun turret window by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

the window is from the new TIE Advanced set, it is oversized by a am fine with it like that. i am wondering if lego's selling the window piece from 75192 on Bricks and Pieces.

38174917682_86a1456101_b.jpgmilennium falcon front by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

im going to fix the underside bit that sticks out near the cockpit dont worry.

The falcons also going to have lights in the back, that will be in the next and probably last update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. I thought that was the ucs falcon for a second! It looks really good!

Can't help but noticing that the join where the shell of the ship meets the mandibles looks a bit off. Maybe stacking a few plates on the mandibles to close the gap?

25 minutes ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

38174924222_8e4519b61e_b.jpg

Also, why is there a whole in that 2x4 plate?  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.