koalayummies

[MOC] Modular: Town Hardware

On May 2, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Wout said:

This looks very good and detailed.

Well done!

Thanks Wout.

On May 4, 2017 at 0:43 AM, Orange Leader said:

Great, It's one of those modulars that has too many great details to comment on. :P

Looks fantastic and the goods for sale are reminiscent to real equipment.

Haha that is a very funny and nice compliment. Much appreciated, thank you Orange Leader. 

On May 4, 2017 at 6:35 AM, Palixa And The Bricks said:

I love it! I like the exterior, especially the oversized tools. The colour scheme works very well. My favourite part though is the interior with all the different tools, shelves and micro builds.

I would love to spend some time on the rooftop.

Thanks Palixa And The Bricks. I'm glad you like the color palette and are fond of the interior as well as the roof. Rooftop space is often overlooked and undervalued. Thanks again.

22 hours ago, drdesignz said:

This is probably my favorite modular I've ever seen.

I've seen a lot.

I'd never leave, if I was a minifigure.

Drdesignz, you do me too much honor. Thank you very much. You can stop by in one of your MOC vehicles anytime and just hang out! Thanks!

And to whomever is behind the scenes that made this a featured topic thank you.

Great build.  It's an instant classic.  It's so thoroughly detailed in every nook and cranny!

Thanks for sharing this awesome moc. I went to the hardware store yesterday and yours has the same feel. It also made me aware that i forgot to buy some stuff overthere so thanks for that too. 

On May 5, 2017 at 11:16 PM, paostmo said:

Great build.  It's an instant classic.  It's so thoroughly detailed in every nook and cranny!

Thanks paostmo!

On May 6, 2017 at 0:57 AM, Borex said:

Thanks for sharing this awesome moc. I went to the hardware store yesterday and yours has the same feel. It also made me aware that i forgot to buy some stuff overthere so thanks for that too. 

Haha, thanks Borex. Many good projects require multiple trips, 3 or more and its getting serious. 

Forgot to show the all floors together but separate view:

33827898983_81ab243394_b.jpg

Need an M8, 1.25 thread pitch, class 10.9 hex head bolt...

33827898933_4c879a5a6b_b.jpg

Municipal workers stop by to get some supplies, janitor can't get a word in (neither included in set :P)

33827898823_d370170cd2_b.jpg

8 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

The new, higher quality, photographs really showcase it better.

Thanks, you're referring to the shots without the white background right? I've never been a huge fan of high-key photography and thats probably showing through in the work. It might have looked better if the white was cut to straight 255 RGB like I normally do but still just never liked the look. Heres two more. 

33816888464_0273729ef3_b.jpg

33816888544_55e4cb40fd_b.jpg

2 hours ago, AlexanderM said:

This is awesome :). Thanks for sharing.

Thanks AlexanderM. 

Awesome looking build!! Loving the big tool signage on the front and that interior is excellent!! (It's certainly well stocked - I think the power tools display is my favourite part) 

Thanks for sharing!!

Now this is what I call a Hardware Store! Well done koalayummies on your creation. It so full stock, you have caught the right atmosphere and setting of a real hardware store. And your own creations of 'machine/tools' are great.

On May 14, 2017 at 2:18 PM, greg3 said:

Awesome looking build!! Loving the big tool signage on the front and that interior is excellent!! (It's certainly well stocked - I think the power tools display is my favourite part) 

Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks Greg3! I'm glad you like the signage, the wrench took a while to get looking right and almost never came about especially with regards to the connection method to the front of the building while keeping it still looking like a wrench. 

On September 6, 2017 at 5:43 AM, scottwb2010 said:

Now this is what I call a Hardware Store! Well done koalayummies on your creation. It so full stock, you have caught the right atmosphere and setting of a real hardware store. And your own creations of 'machine/tools' are great.

Thanks Scottwb2010! Really humbled you think it captures the atmosphere of a real hardware store, I love hardware stores so I'm happy you think it is true to the subject matter. 

This is probably one of the best hardware MOCs I have ever seen! The details are fantastic, and everything is proportioned just right. It is packed with details and play features that anyone could have hours of fun building and playing with this! I would really like to buy something like this so I could have all of those pieces in order to build something like that! Great work!

Very nice work - I see you're quite a seasoned modular builder. I like how the products are arranged on the shelves. I love looking at the at the tools on the wall. I'd like to use some of these techniques in a future build...

How did it go in deciding what would fit in the store and what had to be left out?

13 hours ago, slopemodified said:

Very nice work - I see you're quite a seasoned modular builder. I like how the products are arranged on the shelves. I love looking at the at the tools on the wall. I'd like to use some of these techniques in a future build...

How did it go in deciding what would fit in the store and what had to be left out?

Thanks Slopemodified. I'm not really that, seasoned there are a number of members here who are by far above and beyond much better at MOC design, but thank you nonetheless. 

To answer your question, as a lover of hardware stores I just thought about all the staple items and tried to include as much as possible. I also thought about some specialty and less common items that could be brick built (like the compressor, which in a store of this size would clearly be a special order item) but focused on the main items like lumber, plumbing, nursery (gardening) and tools. I wish I could have brick built more of the items and details instead of relying so heavily on the single-purpose minifigure-hand accessories and there are a number of members who have brick-built amazing hardware store details like chainsaws, forklifts, power tools, household chemical containers etc and I didn't want to steal those fantastic little builds. I hope that answers it for you. Thanks.