Sign in to follow this  
o0ger

[MOC] Library of Alexandria

The Ancient Library of Alexandria was one of the largest and most significant libraries of the ancient world. It contained all knowledge known to man, before it was burned to the ground by the Romans.

In 1988 a competition was held. The grand prize: Build the revived Library of Alexandria!

The prestigious mission was given to Norwegian architectural office Snøhetta. Construction began in 1995 and was completed in 16 October 2002

This is my entry for Marchitecture 2017 - Category 1: Architecture
-------------------------------------
This building has fascinated me since the first time I saw it. The simple circular tilted shape makes it look like it was cut straight out from the ground. 

The circular shape and the form of the windows of the main building was what I focused on when building this. I've tried some different color combinations and picked up many a cheese slope from the floor during the process. :)

Library of Alexandria
https://www.flickr.com/photos/o0ger/32798147473 

a2de3373ad023f0f1b8cb76bd27b0dc5.jpg

Edited by o0ger

Wow! I'd never seen the real thing before, but both it and your version have blown me away! 

Edited by Umbra-Manis

10 hours ago, Umbra-Manis said:

Wow! I'd never seen the real thing before, but both it and your version have blow me away! 

Thank you! I was also blown away the first time I saw it. My reference image might not be the best one of this magnificent building. Take a look at these images: http://snohetta.com/project/5-bibliotheca-alexandrina

Embarrassed to say I didn't know anything about the revival of this library until now >_>

Great job of course, only thing I would change is that round dark bluish grey building structure. It's too big, maybe make it with [1x1 round plates] stuck to a [1x1 plate clip light, thin ring].