Sign in to follow this  
Kwatchi

[SR - FB2] - February '617 - The Sirrus

ngkIfGO.jpg

So ya cove, do ye ever wonder what happen old pirates?  After years of reaving and looting, those that haven't been confined to the briney deep some find themselves as rich as kings, and settle down to a soft life as lily white landlubber.  Some waste away on the docks in a drunken stupour.  A few still heed the siren's call of the sea, even if though their youth has fled.

Take Captain Bartholomew Preston for example.

cNkg2oh.jpg

Preston had been the quartermaster's mate on the Corrington Privateer Majestic Ruse.  After nearly three decades of sailing with her, that ship paid off for the final time and was condemned as a wreck.  Preston was not ready to be stranded ashore, so rather than drinking his final pay packet away he used it to buy a prize ship brought into Bastion.

OubGI4W.jpg

The best he could afford himself was a half-rotten sloop that had been taken off the coast of An Holli.  The ship was poorly designed and wallowed if not handled perfectly, but she could carry an inordinate amount of cargo. 

YsMZcet.jpg

Putting every coin he had into repairs and a coat of white paint, he christened her The Sirrus... after a dock hand snarked that she looked like a passing cloud.

rhFrLEg.jpg

True to his nature, Captain Preston's ship does not sail all that meekly and mounts a couple 9 lb deck guns to force second thoughts.

4GBp6B2.jpg

While occasionally conducting a little smuggling for the thrill of it, Captain Preston lives the life of a tramp trader and is happiest in the well-appointed cabin sipping port and reminiscing about his youthful exploits with his crew of veteran Sea Rats.  And though the years have softened him, his reputation as a buccaneer is still largely known which grants him the courtesy of a safe berth in any of the piratical Freeports found on the new seas.

===/===/===

The Sirrus will be licensed as a 3T2.

After helping Gulagurag build his 5HA on Friday, I was left with a pile of spare bricks and a 6 year old nagging me to build him a ship.  There are worse things to do on a weekend. :pir-blush: Of course this is hardly a centerpiece MOC, and is literally the result of me dredging my bins for any remotely useful bricks.  The beak head/bow is pretty poor, and the dimensions are far too short and wide to be practical, but it was fun to do as a building exercise all the same.

Edited by Kwatchi

It does have a certain charm, in it's weird, squat little way. Not quite a chibi ship but in a similar vein.

:classic:  Honestly, if I removed the side on picture it doesn't look that bad.  It really needed another 4 to 6 lugs in length though, and I simply didn't have the appropriate brown bricks.  My son loves "his pirate ship" reagrdless, which is probably the best take away for me.  The over/under on him destroying it on the other hand is 3 days.

Edited by Kwatchi

She does slightly look like she has hit a brick wall at high speed! ;)

However, apart from her somewhat warped proportions, she is looking pretty good. I like the cabin windows, and you've got all the right sails.(albeit a bit warped by her stubbyness too) The cabin seems nicely integrated into the hull.

I would love to see a picture right from the side, showing her as I would see her standing on a dock as she passes by. I think that would show off her profile better.

My favorite part of this build, though, is its back story. It simply makes perfect sense to have retired pirates take on such a job. And should she someday need access to a Corlander convoy, it is possible that an arrangement could be made.

Keep up the good work and the great stories!