Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #157: Staking the Flag

4 hours ago, Alfadas said:

Hmm. I'm gonna trust you, mister Germ. If you are right, I'll buy you a mead, if not, you buy me a mead, deal?

Find, I already have a mead. So, no big deal if I am wrong. 

2 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

The sound of hurrying footsteps was the only warning before a small figure charged through the entrance and slid across the floor, coming to a stop just before he cannoned into anybody.

"I'm so sorry I'm late," it said, bowing as he did, "the summons came before I was expecting it. So, what did I miss?"

And, their is the dwarf. Like the others said not much. Oh, we are going to set up a fueling station along the way. I guess we are going to help with that project. 

1 hour ago, UsernameMDM said:

"Not much, but almost everything," Hoke says to the tardy dwarf as he turns to Lady Umbra ,"Madame, at your leave, let's be off. We can discuss further details aboard the airship."

You heard the man. Lets move out. 

heroicaquest15-monalisa.jpg
"Off we go then, we're docked right outside the city."

Before long, the heroes, Umbra, Dr. Gioconda and crew are aloft and floating high over Uland.

"Bit of wonky weather we've been having lately, the winds of change rolling through Eubric seem to have brought with them some interesting air currents as well."

The doctor rolls out a map of Uland, strange symbols cover the island.

32592743161_2fc3a5a654.jpg

"This is our first time up since the most recent shift in air currents. We're currently here, " The doctor points to the red square, "And we need to get here," points to the bulls-eye, "If we want to hit the Roc stream to carry us across the Crystalline Sea. As you can imagine these air currents will carry us as far as we want until we direct our sails to catch another current. What do you think is the quickest way to pull this off?"

QM Note: 24hrs to solve the puzzle if you want XP. Please Send me the answer in PM. Let me know if anything is unclear.

2 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

Do you have to move into the square or the direction the wind symbol is pointing to?

"The air currents are such that we can travel to any of the squares in the direction of the current space we're in. So theoretically, we could travel the current current we're on all the way to the one over Bric Bay."

3 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"The air currents are such that we can travel to any of the squares in the direction of the current space we're in. So theoretically, we could travel the current current we're on all the way to the one over Bric Bay."

"Hmmm," Hoke thinks to himself, considering the possible routes and winds,"What about this?"

Hoke traces a route out on the map (answer submitted).

Torald rests his head in his hands and sighs deeply. I can't do puzzles. I don't know the route. Why am I so dumb... He sighs again and looks out the window, hoping his party can figure it out. 

OoC: posting on mobile, so no colour. Also, I really don't know the answer, it's not only staying in character...

3 minutes ago, Alfadas said:

Torald rests his head in his hands and sighs deeply. I can't do puzzles. I don't know the route. Why am I so dumb... He sighs again and looks out the window, hoping his party can figure it out. 

OoC: posting on mobile, so no colour. Also, I really don't know the answer, it's not only staying in character...

Ezeran lays a calming hand on his friends shoulder. "It's okay. We can't all be dusty scholars". Ezeran also points out the route.

As he draw up spare map. Germ traced a couple of lines on the extra map. Is this what you guys came up with? As he showed the extra map with a couple of eraser marks on. 

(Answer already submitted and approved) 

As the crew considers the routes, Hoke removes the Masterpiece Armor and Coat Hanger and equips the Medal of Glory and Warrior Treads.

Before he stows his gear he looks up at his quest mates and asks,"See anything in my gear you would like to borrow? If there is a ether wielder amongst us, I have some very interesting gems to use."

Edited by UsernameMDM

Hoke, Germ, Ezeran, and Throlar all layout the same course of action upon the map and the good doctor soon has the Destiny's Bounty crossing the Crystalline Sea at full speed. The heroes feel more experienced at their cartography skill and soon find comfortable seats upon the schooner.

"Well done heroes, if I didn't know better I'd say you were true-blue sailors."

heroicanpc-umbrashadeaux.jpg
"Indeed. My fazer would kill for such map skillz among ze merchants of our trading fleet."

"So any plans yet for when we hit the strait?"

"Do we take zem by zurprise, or do we attempt a more diplomatic approach? Zey are monsters after all."

The Party
hoke_ableword_1b.jpg
Hoke Ablesword - Champion of the Northern Kingdoms, Kraken Whacker, Titan Smiter, Serpent Skinner, Matchmaker and Rock Champion of Decamon (UsernameMDM) *Party Leader*
Human Male Paragon
Level 56.8 *Blessed* *Immune to Fragile, Dark, Earth, Fire, Wind* *Absorbs Poison* *Gains Triple XP*
Power Bonus: 9 (+3 WP)
Defense: 58
Health: 119/119
Gold: 1133
Equipment: Zoot's Order (WP:40; Deals Darkness, Light, Ice, Cursed, Fragile, permanently Poisoned-by-10, hits reduce enemy SP by 1; spear, suitable for Hoke only [Hydra Tongue, Crimson Haze, Amethyst, Diamond, Etherial Opal]), Mythril Buckler (SP:41, Amethyst, Mythril), Hydra Skin (SP: 2, wearer gains HP when poisoned instead of losing it, backwear), Helm of Prestige (SP: 5, +10 Max HP, Wearer is Permanently Blessed, Headwear, suitable for Paragons), Bone Claws (+3 WP, 2 SP, hand wear),  Sven's Heavy Armor (SP:6, Immune to Fire, Earth, Wind and Fragile),  Guffington's Seal (Proves the Hero is a Friend of Guffington. The hero starts every quest with one "Hero's Cocktail": encouraged, hastened, lucky and inspired), Warrior's Treads (SP:2, Health +1, footwear), Medal of Glory (Wearer gains triple experience, accessory),
Inventory:
Weapons - Vintul (WP: 16; greatsword), Gladiator Trident (WP: 11, causes the Bleeding-by-5 effect; spear), Wasabi Blade (WP: 4, Fire-elemental long-sword), Glistening Halberd WP:10 (1/2; chance to caused stunned effect, lance), Blue Steel Shield (SP:5, Immune to Blind), Fang Dagger (WP:5, double damage to beasts, dagger), Balanced Main-Gauce (WP: 10, Riposte has a 1/6 chance of instantly killing the/each target, dagger, suitable only for marauders), Blade of Tranquility (WP: 2, deals the Sealed effect, Long-sword), , Longsword (WP:5; suitable for knights, rogues, beast warriors, infiltrators, marauders, regulators, skirmishers and winged warriors.)
Artifacts - Obsan's "Masterpiece" (SP: 10; suitable for knights, barbarians, beast masters, dragoons, marauders and regulators; Immune to Ice, Wind and Wood; bodywear), Coat Hanger (Allows for a second body wear, Accessory), Sharkskin Gloves (Accessory, provides immunity from water elemental attacks), Samurai Helmet (WP:+4, immune Confused, Sealed suitable to knights, dragoons, regulators, winged warriors), Sterile Gloves (Immune to poisoned and bleeding, handwear, suitable for anyone), Cultist Hat (damage vs undead), Electro Gear (Adds lightning-element to physical attacks and protects from lightning-elemental damage, accessory), Pugilist Gloves (+2 to power, immune Weakened), Shadeaux Cape (SP:1; suitable to those with reputation among the Shadeaux only; if reputation is great, SP is doubled; if reputation is outstanding, SP is tripled; backwear.), Iceborn's Improved Summoning Amulet (Can be used once per quest to revive a fallen enemy to join the party. The enemy has a level equal to their previous level, and health equal to the half the health of the hero reviving them. Their class can be determined by the QM, and they cannot be revived by Phoenix Essences. Accessory)
Gems - Ruby (Fire), Etherial Sapphire (Sealed+Wind), Emerald (Wood), Etherial Aquamarine (Confusion+Water), Topaz (Lightning), Etherial Garnet (Slowed+Earth), Etherial Topaz (Lighting+Stunned), Opal
Scrolls - Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Confusion, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Sleep
Tools - Bedroll, Pickaxe, Shovel 3x Smoke Bomb, Lightning Bomb, Water Bomb, Air Bomb, 2x Dirt Bomb, Confuse Bomb, Seal Bomb, x2 Stun Bombs, Skadi Bomb, Crescent Seal  (+2 Power, +1 Free item usage during the first round of battle),
Consumables - 3x Phoenix Essence, 6x Grand Potion, Health Core, 2x Grand Tonic, 4x Remedy, 5x Ether Core, Elixir, 2x Ambrosia, Soma, 5x Mead, 2x Smelling Salts, 2x Titan Heart (Grants encouraged- and inspired-effects when consumed), 2x Flame-Distilled Brandy (Encouraged & Immune to Ice), 6x Venom, 2x Deadly Venom, 2x Feather of Flight (Allows the user to flee from the battle when used), Henry Award (Can be sold for 200 Gold or to give +1 HP or +1 Power to a character, Consumable, Soul-bound), 2x Hero's Cocktail, Crimson Haze (Causes a weapon to deal the poisoned by 7 and cursed effects permanently)
Decamon Deck - Nixie (Water 7), Reaper (Dark 8), Stone Golem (Rock 8), Carcinos (Aquatic 8), Storm Elemental (Electric 8), Tianlong (Ethereal 10)

AuPkwWK.png
The Demon Germ (Samurai Turtle) 
??? years old ; Half Demon; Male Black Knight 
Level 20 2/3 *Immune to Stunned* *Absorbs Ice* *Immune to Darkness Wood Fire
Power Bonus: 4
Defense: 17
Health: 37/37
Gold: 1209 
Equipment: Spesialian Helmet (SP:2, SP:4 if wearer’s Star Elf, Health +2, Power +2, Suitable for anyone; headwear), Black Knight's Armor (SP:4; Protects from Stunned-effects; immune to Fire/Ruby; suitable for Black Knights; bodywear), Shadow Cloak (SP:1, immune to Darkness/Amethyst & Emerald/Wood; backwear), Winter Shield (SP:10; absorb Ice but takes double damage from Fire; shield), Obsidian Scimitar (WP:20; Darkness-elemental; longsword)
Inventory:
Weapons - Chain Scythe (WP:6; applies Enamored; scythe), Wrench (WP:5; decreases the target’s level by 1; throwing weapon), {Two} Kobold Sharp Wings (WP:8; Deals Bleeding 1; throwing weapon), Sanctified Rito Gypsy Dart (WP:5; doubled against Flying enemies; throwing weapon), Unicorn’s Horn (WP:8, healing becomes nurturing, removing negative effects as well; Diamond/Light-elemental staff), Dwarven Portable Catapult (WP:10; Double Damage to Enemies Visibly Larger than the User; Throwing Weapon), Ignis Blade (WP:5, Fire-elemental, ignores SP of foes weak to Fire, (Beasts, Icey, and Plants) gems cannot be merged into or removed from the weapon; great-sword), borrowed from Vindsval (Asphalt), Gaia Blade (WP:5, Wood-elemental, ignores SP foes weak to Wood,(aquatic and Rock) gems cannot be merged into or removed from the weapon; great-sword), borrowed from Vindsval (Asphalt)
Artifacts - Sterile Gloves (Protects from Poisoned- and Bleeding- effects; handwear), Red Shield (SP:8; shield), Demon Wings (Take To The Skies dealsDarkness-elemental damage and Hexed instead of Wind-elemental damage and Stunned; backwear, suitable to The Demon Germ only), 
Gems / Scrolls - Scroll of Blindness (Enables casting the blinded-effect to the target, making them unable to use a physical attack for the next three rounds. Each casting has a 50/50 chance of success and costs 1 ether.),
Consumables - Smoke Bomb (x3), Level-Up Mushroom, Bone (x8), Deadly Venom (x3), Remedy (x4), Smelling Salts (x2), Human Repellent (Makes the user impervious to direct attacks from humanoid enemies during one battle unless he is the last hero standing; consumable.), Potion (x8), Venom (x2), Mead, Grand Potion (x4), 
Tools - Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Magnifying Glass, Crescent Seal  (+2 Power, +1 Free item usage during the first round of battle)
Others - 2 Gold Ring (worth 15 gold, or can be given to someone else to make them Enamored with the giver), Gold Bar (A bar of gold. Value: 50 gold) loaned to Vindsval (Asphalt)

19629865404_3247848494_s.jpg
Torald Waruelf, 
Matchmaker (Alfadas)
20 year old male human Barbarian
Level 13 1/2
Power Bonus: 4
Defense: 3
Health: 22/22
Gold: 236
Equipment: Spark Hammer (WP: 8 Lightning & Wood elemental Hammer. Double WP against flying and mechanical),  Tricorne (SP:3, headwear; suitable to anyone). Boots of Drunken Boxing (Power +2; if wearer is encouraged: power +8. Footwear. Suitable for Torald only),
Inventory:
Weapons - Spear (WP:5), Old and Rusty Greatsword (WP: 3), Broken Spear (WP: 3; Causes Bleeding and Poisoned by 2 every other round used), Sludge Glaive (WP:8, pierces defense and causes either fragile or weakened; halberd) 
Artifacts - Pongcanis Shield (SP: 7; Shield),  Crocodile Belt (Max. Health +2; accessory), Fighting Boots (Power +5 on the front row; footwear.)
Consumables - Fire Bomb, 4 Potions, 9 Mead, Tiger Balm, 2 Venom,
Tools - Shovel, Pickaxe, Crescent Seal  (+2 Power, +1 Free item usage during the first round of battle)

29831773111_ce9d27418d_t.jpg
Ezeran Yavarr (MysticModulus)
42 year old male human Sorcerer
Level 20 2/3 *Immune to Wood and Fire, Sealed and Blindness* *Enemies that hit Ezeran become slowed
Power Bonus: 2 (+2 spellpower)
Defense: 5
Health: 33/33
Ether: 29/29
Gold: 428
Equipment: Ancient Sapphamber Staff (WP:8, doubled against Ancient enemies, staff) Sneezing Demon (SP:2; enemies that hit the wearer become slowed; immunity to woodfire  and blindness, suitable to Ezeran only; bodywear), Etherium Pauldrons (SP:3, immune to sealed; backwear), Sedge hat (Max. Ether +4; headwear)
Inventory:
Weapons - 
Trickster’s Baubel (WP:6, each hit causes one random effect: stunned, poisoned by 1, asleep, blinded, sealed or confused; wand),
Artifacts - Hood of the Elementalist (SP:1, *Absorbs darkness*; headwear, suitable to anyone)
Gems - Emerald (Wood), Ruby (Fire), Diamond (Light),  Sapphire (wind).
Consumables - 5x grand potions, 5x grand tonics, 3x Remedy, 3x smelling salts, ether core, 3x nostrums, smoke bomb, myrrh.
Tools - Crescent Seal  (+2 Power, +1 Free item usage during the first round of battle), Bedroll, Shovel

ava-throlar2.jpg
Throlar Wineghilm
137 year old male Dwarven Warden. 
Level: 18 *Rolls of Aim become Hit when using bows* *Immune to Weakened and Free Hits*
Power Bonus:
Defense: 0
Health: 41/41
Gold: 110
Equipment: Huntsman's Bow (WP: 7; damages undead; bow), Shield of Invisibility (SP: 0; the user is immune to free hits until they are the last hero standing),Lion's Plate (Max health +5, Power +1; wearer is immune to weakened; suitable for knights and barbarians; body wear), Quiver of Homing Arrows (Rolls of AIM become HIT; can only be used with a bow or a crossbow; backwear).
Inventory:
Weapons - Elven Sword (WP: 5, longsword), Miracle Lance (A white spear crafted in the likeness of an ancient dragon; WP: 10; doubled against Ancient enemies; lance), Fellcrest Hand Axe (WP: 8; deals bleeding 5 on successful hits; throwing weapon), Mopagsaber (WP: 12; Ice elemental; longsword), Blackstone Club (WP: 30; Earth and darkness elemental; club), City Watch Halberd (WP: 3; halberd).
Artifacts - Elven Shield (SP: 5; Ice and darkness elemental; all elves in the party gain the same amount of SP as long as the wielder is standing), Lethauros Crushers (While equipped, the wearer does double damage to Rock and Flying type enemies; suitable for anyone; footwear), Amulet of Elven Loyalty (Wearer can use anything suitable for elves and is considered a friend by all elves; the wearer also becomes encouraged if there are elves in the party; suitable to Throlar only; accessory), Counterstrike Gloves (If the wearer is damaged by a free hit, they counter with strength equal to their level; handwear),Monkey Armor (SP:4, immune to earth and bound; suitable for knights, beast warriors, dragoons, skirmishers and winged warriors; body wear), Crow Helmet (SP: 1; Flying enemies do not deal free hits to the wearer; suitable for Knights and Dragoons; headwear), Greaves of the Wolf (SP: 5; Wearer is Nimble; footwear).
Consumables - Phoenix Essence, x2 Potion, Grand Potion, x3 Remedy, Mead, Nostrum, Soma, Smelling Salts, Hint Coin (Gives the user a hint about a puzzle or a tricky situation, Useable only once, Has no monetary value), x2 Bone, Floral Bomb, Air Bomb, Water Bomb, Baldur Bomb, Lightning Bomb, Fire Bomb, x2 Smoke Bomb, First aid kit (Restores full health and removes all negative effects From the entire party once used) x4 Shattering Arrow (lowers enemy SP by 10 points, suitable for classes that use crossbows and bows), Grating Stone.
Tools - Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Magnifying Glass.
Other - Viper scale (worth 40 gold to some NPC's).
Decamon Deck - Magic Carp (Aquatic 1), Volt Ant (Electric 1), Will-o'-the-Wisp (Fiery 1), Tweetybird (Flying 1), Toxic Toad (Plant 1), Ursa Minor (Eithereal 1), Specter (Dark 2), Dryad (Plant 6)

Take them by surprise! They are monsters, I don't think being diplomatic is going to work. 

5 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

As the crew considers the routes, Hoke removes the Masterpiece Armor and Coat Hanger and equips the Medal of Glory and Warrior Treads.

Before he stows his gear he looks up at his quest mates and asks,"See anything in my gear you would like to borrow? If there is a ether wielder amongst us, I have some very interesting gems to use."

Torald takes a look at the items.  Obsan's "Masterpiece" (SP: 10; suitable for knights, barbarians, beast masters, dragoons, marauders and regulators; Immune to Ice, Wind and Wood; bodywear). That piece of armor looks really useful, if you don't use it. Can I use it for this quest?

Ezeran rubs his chin pondering the tactical consideration. "I don't know the nature of the sirens that well and that makes it a tough decision. What do you say dear people?" The symbiont growls in agreement with Torald.

7 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Do we take zem by zurprise, or do we attempt a more diplomatic approach? Zey are monsters after all."

"Careful madame, we could all be considered monsters if we all took a closer look," Hoke said as he thought about cutting down a monster once as she cried out for help.  He would never forget that,"Do they have a history of violence? If not, I prefer we use Diplomatic means, at least at first."

4 hours ago, Alfadas said:

Torald takes a look at the items.  Obsan's "Masterpiece" (SP: 10; suitable for knights, barbarians, beast masters, dragoons, marauders and regulators; Immune to Ice, Wind and Wood; bodywear). That piece of armor looks really useful, if you don't use it. Can I use it for this quest?

"Yes, you may,"Hoke says as he hands over the armor.

Edited by UsernameMDM

16 minutes ago, UsernameMDM said:

Thanks! Torald puts the Tricorne in his backpack, and puts on Obsan's Masterpiece. 

4 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

As the armors get exchanged, Germ spotted something else. What the "Tonka" is that (Electro Gear)? 

9 hours ago, MysticModulus said:

Ezeran rubs his chin pondering the tactical consideration. "I don't know the nature of the sirens that well and that makes it a tough decision. What do you say dear people?" The symbiont growls in agreement with Torald.

Here you might need this if they are some sort of zombies. Holding out the Unicorn's Horn for Ezeran. 

While I am loaning stuff out. Mr. Throlar, you know how to use this? Takes out the Dwarves Portable Catapult to show/loan him. 

29 minutes ago, samuraiturtle said:

As the armors get exchanged, Germ spotted something else. What the "Tonka" is that (Electro Gear)? 

"A little bauble I picked up in the Fields of Glory from a huge tusked beast.  Think you can put it to good use for this quest?" Hoke asks as he tosses the Electro Gear to Germ.

1 hour ago, samuraiturtle said:

Here you might need this if they are some sort of zombies. Holding out the Unicorn's Horn for Ezeran. 

While I am loaning stuff out. Mr. Throlar, you know how to use this? Takes out the Dwarves Portable Catapult to show/loan him. 

"Thanks! It might come to good use!"

Ezeran nods towards Hoke. "I can't give any advice on our approach, you are our appointed leader so I trust your judgment in this."

Edited by MysticModulus

13 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"I'd prefer to at least try diplomacy, they are just as intelligent as you or I and I'd rather avoid killing if possible."

1 hour ago, samuraiturtle said:

"This thing? Why yes certainly! I think I recognize this design too, where did you get it?" he said, taking the proffered weapon.

42 minutes ago, MysticModulus said:

Ezeran nods towards Hoke. "I can't give any advice on our approach, you are our appointed leader so I trust your judgment in this."

"Here, you can use these," Hoke says, handing over a specially made leather pouch holding his loose gem collection,"Some of those in there have a little extra trick to them.  You may want to practice a bit while we travel to get control of them."

21 minutes ago, UsernameMDM said:

"Here, you can use these," Hoke says, handing over a specially made leather pouch holding his loose gem collection,"Some of those in there have a little extra trick to them.  You may want to practice a bit while we travel to get control of them."

Ezeran looks at the beautiful stones in the pouch. He recognised some of them but others were new to him. He took the out one at a time and studied them carefully in the pale daylight as the breeze ruffled his cloak. 

"These are really interesting, I shall practice hard and try them out." The symbiont tried hard to lick at the stones but soom gave up.

33 minutes ago, MysticModulus said:

Ezeran looks at the beautiful stones in the pouch. He recognised some of them but others were new to him. He took the out one at a time and studied them carefully in the pale daylight as the breeze ruffled his cloak. 

"These are really interesting, I shall practice hard and try them out." The symbiont tried hard to lick at the stones but soom gave up.

Hoke reaches over and grabs the brightly transparent yellow gem with dark yellow glittering veins (Ethereal Topaz (Lightning+Stunned)).  

"Let's see if I can still do this.  A bit out of practice, but..." he says as he closes his eyes.

He concentrates on the gem and the ethereal web that surrounds everything.  He furrows his brow deeper, trying, with difficulty, to tap into that web.  He clenched his fist harder around the gem and reached out his finger to touch Ezeran's hand.

Zipt!

The tiniest of bolts zipped from his finger to Ezeran's hand.

"Try to move your hand."

39 minutes ago, UsernameMDM said:

Hoke reaches over and grabs the brightly transparent yellow gem with dark yellow glittering veins (Ethereal Topaz (Lightning+Stunned)).  

"Let's see if I can still do this.  A bit out of practice, but..." he says as he closes his eyes.

He concentrates on the gem and the ethereal web that surrounds everything.  He furrows his brow deeper, trying, with difficulty, to tap into that web.  He clenched his fist harder around the gem and reached out his finger to touch Ezeran's hand.

Zipt!

The tiniest of bolts zipped from his finger to Ezeran's hand.

"Try to move your hand."

Stunned at the sudden jolt Ezeran tried his best to move his hand, but it was impossible to move the hand.

"Amazing! Truly amazing!"