Sign in to follow this  
yoshi98bc

SBrick Consists

I am a bit confused by your use of "consist" but I will try to answer your question.  The S-brick itself usually gets installed in the train as a replacement for the LEGO receiver.  The S-brick software can operate multiple S-brick trains at once.   See zepbyr1934's writeup for details.

A set of vehicles under multiple unit control is referred to as a consist in the United States.

I got that from Wikipedia. So I'm guessing he wants to know if SBrick is capable of controlling multiple units on the same train. I personally don't use SBrick but I would think it's possible. It'd be pretty silly if it didn't support Multiple Unit Control.

8 minutes ago, McWaffel said:

I got that from Wikipedia. So I'm guessing he wants to know if SBrick is capable of controlling multiple units on the same train. I personally don't use SBrick but I would think it's possible. It'd be pretty silly if it didn't support Multiple Unit Control.

If you have multiple motors in one engine then yes it can, so can the LEGO receiver.  If there are multiple engines then you will have a cabling issue and I would recommend two S-bricks

Edited by pirzyk

I've looked for this answer but cannot find it.  Can Sbrick consist meaning can I control two sbricks with one control slider in the app so I can run more than one train together.

Also, I see that the maximum functions is 64.  Does that mean I can only control 16 Sbricks or can I control 64 separate sbricks if I chose to?

Thanks for any help

Each brick can control 4 different functions, so that 64 would be over 16 bricks.

To the best of my knowledge, I don't think you can control more than one channel with one slider (unfortunately I haven't got mine on hand to double check, but I don't remember being given the option when I've mucked about with it). The control schemes are completely customisable though, so if you have a couple of units you think you'll often use together, just put the sliders next to each other. If you're controlling a multiple unit that never separates, just run a wipe two both motors through the train from the same brick.

You already opened a thread about this topic:

I don't think it's the spirit of this forum to register, then open two threads about the same topic...

Sorry about that.  I didn't know that first one went through when I posted it since my computer crashed when I was posting it and I never even looked for it again.  That's my bad.  Feel free to delete this thread

SBrick publishes their protocols.  In theory you could write your own app to have features currently not in their app.  The limitation would be the Bluetooth hardware in your phone or tablet as to how many devices it can communicate with simultaneously.  I think users have requested multi-train control features in the Sbrick forum before.

It would be fun to lash up multiple locomotives like you can do with DCC.  You could do with PF infrared by setting the IR receivers all to the same channel. It might work better to make and program a custom IR speed controler that repeats sending the same command a couple of times just in case one receiver didn't catch it first time around.  :classic:

1 hour ago, yoshi98bc said:

Feel free to delete this thread

I've merged the two topics.