Daniel-Technic

Modular buildings question, how many?

Hi all.

How many modular building are there that Lego made over the years, not including the custom modular?

I bought a Assembly building yesterday and was thinking of creating a town, I've been give a cinema and bought a restaurant off facebook page.

Just want to know how many are there and wether I can buy all of it or not.

Cheers Daniel.

Hello

If you have the money, you can buy all ten (nine without market street if I'm right) original modulars.

Here is a link to Bricklink, where you can find Name, Number and so on of all the buildings.Bricklink Modular Buildings

However, the retired ones are quite expensive so it might be cheaper to design an own modular building, maybe inspired by the old ones.

Stefan

Twelve modulars, including Market Street. Eleven if you don't count Market Street.

Cafe Corner
Market Street
Green Grocer
Fire Brigade
Grand Emporium
Pet Shop
Town Hall
Palace Cinema
Parisian Restaurant
Detectives Office
Brick Bank
Assembly Square

Edited by Paperballpark

Twelve modulars, including Market Street. Eleven if you don't count Market Street.

Ah, now I remember. It was 10 YEARS, why they made the Assembly Square, sorry had in mind it was the 10th modular.

1 hour ago, Paperballpark said:

Cafe Corner
Market Street
Green Grocer
Fire Brigade
Grand Emporium
Pet Shop
Town Hall
Palace Cinema
Parisian Restaurant
Detectives Office
Brick Bank
Assembly Square

Thanks guys.

What is special about market street? 

Planning to buy Detectives and Bank later next month. Grand Emporium possible will come my way from a friend if the price is right lol.

Christ, look at the price of cafe corner!

Daniel.

Ofcourse we count Market Street as well...it is in the picture where Jamie Berard is presenting the Assembly Square...that is no longer a discussion!

30376439515_26dc4be5bb_o.jpg

To echo Legosjaak, 12!  On the last page before the back cover of the instruction booklet for Assembly Square you will see all 12 Modulars listed in a picture graph.  This should put to rest the is or is not Market Street a Modular debate once and for all!

3 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

Ofcourse we count Market Street as well...it is in the picture where Jamie Berard is presenting the Assembly Square...that is no longer a discussion!

And here is another proof:

DSC_0266

5 hours ago, a_h_adl said:

And here is another proof:

DSC_0266

Some people must have been wondering what that weird box of milk was doing there on that shelf in between the microscale Cafe Corner and Green Grocer...

1 minute ago, LegoSjaak said:

Some people must have been wondering what that weird box of milk was doing there on that shelf in between the microscale Cafe Corner and Green Grocer...

That one is hilarious! :grin: I was wondering the same how many people would think that. 

18 hours ago, Daniel-Technic said:

Thanks guys.

What is special about market street?

Market Street was part of the LEGO Factory theme, which consisted of fan-created sets. It was designed by Dutch AFOL Eric Brok rather than professional LEGO designers like Jamie Berard or Astrid Graabæk (who designed the other modular buildings). And it had a few unusual quirks that set it apart from the other modulars, like more varied/modern minifigure faces and the ability to rotate each of the floors. A lot of AFOLs argue that it shouldn't count as a part of the Modular Buildings series for this reason (and also because it's a very rare set and they don't want to have to admit their collection is incomplete). But Jamie Berard does consider it part of the series.

Edited by Aanchir

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Market Street was part of the LEGO Factory theme, which consisted of fan-created sets. It was designed by Dutch AFOL Eric Brok rather than professional LEGO designers like Jamie Berard or Astrid Graabæk (who designed the other modular buildings). And it had a few unusual quirks that set it apart from the other modulars, like more varied/modern minifigure faces and the ability to rotate each of the floors. A lot of AFOLs argue that it shouldn't count as a part of the Modular Buildings series for this reason (and also because it's a very rare set and they don't want to have to admit their collection is incomplete). But Jamie Berard does consider it part of the series.

Yes, and another thing that's special about Market street, is that most people find it butt-ugly :laugh:

I don't by the way, we bricklinked it, long ago, because when we discovered modulars, the first three were already unobtainable at a decent price.

Welcome to the club, Daniel-Technic! You'll have lots of fun building these.

56 minutes ago, Withacee said:

Yes, and another thing that's special about Market street, is that most people find it butt-ugly :laugh:

:laugh:

I was literally just going to make that comment, using that exact word.

There are some nice custom takes on it, though, I actually kinda liked the Paris Steampunk version posted here and on flickr a while back. But the original building just feels like a sub-par MOC to me.

22 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

:laugh:

I was literally just going to make that comment, using that exact word.

There are some nice custom takes on it, though, I actually kinda liked the Paris Steampunk version posted here and on flickr a while back. But the original building just feels like a sub-par MOC to me.

Oh no...you guys step jump and kick on our Dutch historic buildings, because all our houses in the Netherlands look like the Market Street...

I'm happy to own one...as i'm from the same country as the designer of the Market Street...:tongue:

On 17.1.2017 at 8:33 PM, LegoSjaak said:

Oh no...you guys step jump and kick on our Dutch historic buildings, because all our houses in the Netherlands look like the Market Street...

I'm happy to own one...as i'm from the same country as the designer of the Market Street...:tongue:

At least for me, it's got nothing to do with the architectural style. Actually I'm thinking about doing a building in that general style, only in dark red (the dutch cities I've been to actually mostly had buildings with exposed bricks in varying red and brown colors)

But with MS, there's just too many things that don't work for me...the stacked windows on the first floor, the full-scale windows for the supposed basement, the total absence of windows on the back, the random grey bricks thrown in everywhere (I get what the designer was trying to do, I just don't like it, especially in conjunction with the medium blue)...and last, not least, the utterly pointless "market" half of the build.

So, to put it short, if I was to build one, I'd end up modding it so much it'd almost be a MOC anyway. Pretty much the only detail I really like are the curved stairs to the entrance.

I agree. The exterior looks okay in terms of architectural style, but there are so many negatives elsewhere in the set. Whether or not it IS a modular building, that doesn't matter to me. I won't own it, so I will be incomplete.

The curved staircase is the best part. I would do away with the windows and modify quite a few things. I've considered MOC/MODing it, but it ends up being too different, so it seems silly, so then I quit.

6 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

I agree. The exterior looks okay in terms of architectural style, but there are so many negatives elsewhere in the set. Whether or not it IS a modular building, that doesn't matter to me. I won't own it, so I will be incomplete.

The curved staircase is the best part. I would do away with the windows and modify quite a few things. I've considered MOC/MODing it, but it ends up being too different, so it seems silly, so then I quit.

Positive thing about Market Street is, that there must have been a lot of interest at that time... at least positive enough to make modulars for 10 years now!  It is my less beautifull modular too, but it stays a building of the modular series!

58 minutes ago, Daniel-Technic said:

How long will the Brick BanK and Detective House be made and stock before discontinuing it?

Parisian Restaurant and Palace Cinema are the next to be retired. DO and BB are still on the Assembly Square box so expect both have a few more years in them. The size of AS may mean it departs earlier like Town Hall did.

Technically, no one knows. You can assume the order, but it all depends on how well it sells to determine how many production runs they do and as far as I know, most of the general public doesn't have that information.

But to make a safe guess, it is easiest to say PR and PC will go before BB and DO.

15 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

Technically, no one knows. You can assume the order, but it all depends on how well it sells to determine how many production runs they do and as far as I know, most of the general public doesn't have that information.

But to make a safe guess, it is easiest to say PR and PC will go before BB and DO.

Just looking at the used prices on eBay, PR may have a few more years in it because people seem to like it almost as much as Green Grocer. Pet Shop had a 5 year run and PR started in 2014. Palace Cinema seems to be at a constant discount.

hello, all have been reading this topic with interest, I didn't pay much attention to the modular buildings, I prefer the older town sets / scale and size wise, last year I was asked to build the Paris restaurant for a friends son who had received it for Christmas, he was only 7/8 so was finding it tough, I was rather impressed with the design but managed to resit buying, but recently had a bid on grand emporium and won so got to get them all now, managed to get 7 all new and boxed this week, and will be buying assembly square next month, the really old ones are fetching big money so will have to wait. has anyone tried the led lighting sets that are cropping up, they look good, but wonder if they show when not lit.

On 1/21/2017 at 10:28 AM, Daniel-Technic said:

How long will the Brick BanK and Detective House be made and stock before discontinuing it?

I'd prioritize by which is your favorite or most important to you. When I started collecting modulars, I assumed Town Hall would stick around and bought Pet Shop instead despite liking it less. I thought Pet Shop being older made it a higher priority. Town Hall was retired the next month and vanished too quickly for me to get it at a reasonable price. In hindsight, I still don't have Town Hall and I'd much rather have it on my modular street than some of the others.

On 13.3.2017 at 8:50 PM, David loss said:

has anyone tried the led lighting sets that are cropping up, they look good, but wonder if they show when not lit.

@David loss I do use led lighting and think it looks much better than without...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLt40k4giLT/?taken-by=chilis_no

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLt1KXIADoy/?taken-by=chilis_no

Edited by Chilis