Sign in to follow this  
cptkent

Track point switch

Hi all,

I've been playing with some ideas for remotely switching my tracks.

Here's a link to the 'proof of concept' mockup I've made of my progress to date. It's very much cobbled together, but I think it will work on my layout, to give me remote access to distant points. Its not a 'pure' lego solution, but it's unobtrusive and relatively cheap.

This requires modification of:

- The point (to remove the 'click' when the track gets switched - there's too much resistance for a small servo to overcome).

- The lego 'cupboard' (to fit a small servo inside, and cut a hole in the door.)

I tried modifying a small brick, but the servo was just a fraction too wide. The cupboard seems to work well. The only wiring visible in the final layout will be three very small wires running from the cupboard.

I'll put together something more detailed once I have a version installed and running, if anyone is interested.

Edited by cptkent
grammer

Neat idea. I like the small size.  What type of servo are you using?  How relatively cheap are they?  I bought some SG90 servos last summer to play with but got side tracked with other projects. SG90s are bigger though.

1 hour ago, dr_spock said:

Neat idea. I like the small size.  What type of servo are you using?  How relatively cheap are they?  I bought some SG90 servos last summer to play with but got side tracked with other projects. SG90s are bigger though.

The servos are these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272426941306?ul_noapp=true

The come as a pair, so about $8au each. I'm using these because they are 'linear', so a little more compact.