I purchased a used set of the Death Star 2 #10143. The inventory list has "extra items" at the end of the pieces list. This set didn't include those. What are "extra items", & do I need them? Thanks.

Edited by Lego39842
Needed to change a word.

The "extra items" are usually just that- extra pieces that come with the set.  I assume you've purchased a new Lego set before and noticed when you were done that there were a couple pieces left over (usually small pieces, or unusual items/prints)?  That's what are cataloged as extra items, so they shouldn't be needed to build the main set.

Interesting question: why does Lego do this? And how did it begin? I recall thinking that the extra pieces were an error when I was growing up. Regardless of whether or not that is true, these days, the extra parts are clearly an expected part of the build... which is sort of befuddling, considering what a premium Lego themselves places on the value of an individual part. 

It's all part of Lego's quality control.  Sealed bags of parts are weighed in the factory to make sure that they contain what they're supposed to, but small parts like 1x1 tiles are so light that one could easily be missed out and not noticed.  That's why they give you extras to make sure that you can finish your model, and it's a nice little bonus for the builder (unless you're like me, in which case you leave extras with their set instead of putting them to better use in MOCs).  The cost of the parts is probably factored into the price of a set, and it's better for Lego's reputation and cheaper in the long run to avoid having to ship out replacement parts all over the world.  

I'm kind of curious though, has anyone has ever had a set where the extra parts didn't match with what bricklink claims should be there?

I've gotten multiples of the same set before and the extra parts weren't always the same. One time I got 2 of the same Dino set, one of them had extra green syringes, and the other didn't, also one of them had the book in a bag, and the other didn't.

Only weird thing I have had happen so far as far as extra pieces is on the Glob Lobber set for Nexo Knights. It was so unusual I had to write it up on my review of the thing on Brickiest:

http://brickset.com/reviews/50591

Basically I followed the instructions start to finish and double checked it twice and I still ended up with a full 2x10 plate left over Oo 

I have never had that happen and when it does it is because I missed a part in the build. It drove me craze for a good half hour until I gave up and figured someone just packed in the extra piece. Still I was taken quite a back because a 2x10 plate is a pretty large piece. 

I've actually experienced the "extra" doing it's job. often it is easy to predict which pieces you will have extras of due to shape, size, print. well one of the microfighters I got recently ended up having no extra 1x1 studs (black) left over at the end. was very surprised that I had used the exact right amount and it was highly unlikely that I lost it myself. conclusion: Lego failed to provide the appropriate number of parts needed and therefore the "extra" stepped in and became the required part. (I'm sure we've all done this without noticing but this case was an obvious one)

I'm pretty sure I received some extra extra parts (i.e. parts that you wouldn't expect to have a backup of) in my recent U-wing purchase. The one that stuck out the most was a second 2x2 tile with centre stud, the instructions only listed one... I guess these things happen from time to time but as someone else said you only really notice when the parts concerned are larger than your normal extras.

On 11/21/2016 at 2:29 PM, Japanbuilder said:

Only weird thing I have had happen so far as far as extra pieces is on the Glob Lobber set for Nexo Knights. It was so unusual I had to write it up on my review of the thing on Brickiest:

http://brickset.com/reviews/50591

Basically I followed the instructions start to finish and double checked it twice and I still ended up with a full 2x10 plate left over Oo 

I have never had that happen and when it does it is because I missed a part in the build. It drove me craze for a good half hour until I gave up and figured someone just packed in the extra piece. Still I was taken quite a back because a 2x10 plate is a pretty large piece. 

When I built my 75055 ISD I had one 1x4 dark grey plate left over :wacko: 

I checked the instructions... nope.

However when I dismantle it I will pack it into the first bag so if I need it next time it will be there.