Sign in to follow this  
Poisso3

Received our first LEGO Train (60051)

So the package from TLG arrived less than an hour ago and we are now owners of our first LEGO train - 60051 High-speed Train. This is a Christmas present for our son so the urge to build it will have to be suppressed for a few more weeks.

Does anyone have any suggestions for newbies into LEGO Trains?

Yes. Mentally prepare yourself for the anguish you'll experience when your son, after building the train, proceeds to use it to repeatedly smash into brick-built walls on the track, and run over unsuspecting minifigs. Seems to be the first thing kids do when they get a LEGO train (and I speak from experience).

You could get some more tracks or train station for the passengers.  LEGO currently sells extra tracks in a switch track set and a straight track plus flex track set. 

60051 is a good crash train.  Mostly one piece nose means less looking for small parts when rebuilding.  :classic:

Ha! Hadn't thought about the crashing!

I did plan ahead and also get the 60050 Train Station, and I am already planning on making good it a tad bit larger.

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎03 at 8:01 PM, Poisso3 said:

Ha! Hadn't thought about the crashing!

I did plan ahead and also get the 60050 Train Station, and I am already planning on making good it a tad bit larger.

You might think about lights upgrade. The set which You purchased is "lights ready". You need just one part (lights with a cable, and everything in the train is prepared to install it).

And it's very true about those crashes, I am even now rebuilding it, and in fact 60051 it's quite easy to rebuild. Take care that once You get 1st train, there will be soon some demand for 2nd train. We have two sons and I was sure that 2 trains are fine, but NO, there are still fights who will play with which train, and they are asking for 3rd train now. Which is good because I also want to buy it :)

Good luck :)

16 hours ago, MACIEK8791 said:

You might think about lights upgrade. The set which You purchased is "lights ready". You need just one part (lights with a cable, and everything in the train is prepared to install it).

And it's very true about those crashes, I am even now rebuilding it, and in fact 60051 it's quite easy to rebuild. Take care that once You get 1st train, there will be soon some demand for 2nd train. We have two sons and I was sure that 2 trains are fine, but NO, there are still fights who will play with which train, and they are asking for 3rd train now. Which is good because I also want to buy it :)

Good luck :)

What is this lights set you speak of?

On 11/3/2016 at 9:17 AM, Phil B said:

Yes. Mentally prepare yourself for the anguish you'll experience when your son, after building the train, proceeds to use it to repeatedly smash into brick-built walls on the track, and run over unsuspecting minifigs. Seems to be the first thing kids do when they get a LEGO train (and I speak from experience).

:grin: That's pretty funny. I didn't get Lego trains or HO trains until I was into my teenage years, but I remember when I showed my collection to my younger cousin's they kept asking "Why aren't you running it as fast as it can go and crashing it?" While I think a Lego train would have survived such a derailment (I have made a few on accident); I imagine my expensive Athearn HO Switch engine getting the same crash test and I cringe!

Just wait until you get him another train... there will be Lego bricks flying everywhere.

As for the light set you can purchase them from Lego S@H for about $7 and they fit into the train very nicely. They do not give you instructions on how to put these lights in but as you build you will be able to notice there are pathways that wires can go through from the IR Receiver to the cab of the train (Lego is sneaky this way).

You can buy the light set here: https://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Power-Functions-Light-8870

If you need any help installing the lights later on I am sure many of us could help you if need be!

Welcome to trains!

-RailCo

10 hours ago, Rail Co said:

Just wait until you get him another train... there will be Lego bricks flying everywhere.

As for the light set you can purchase them from Lego S@H for about $7 and they fit into the train very nicely. They do not give you instructions on how to put these lights in but as you build you will be able to notice there are pathways that wires can go through from the IR Receiver to the cab of the train (Lego is sneaky this way).

You can buy the light set here: https://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Power-Functions-Light-8870

If you need any help installing the lights later on I am sure many of us could help you if need be!

Welcome to trains!

-RailCo

Freakin' sweet! Thanks for the light info.

FYI. If you pick up the blue diesel train there are instructions on EB to modify it into a much more detailed model similar to Lego's Maersk train set. You can slo pick up single cars from sets on eBay; IMO trains look better when they a few more cars. If you were to pick up two high speed train passenger cars and modify one to have a panorama glass roof (there is a thread on here about it) the set would look great with two engines and three passenger cars.

Edited by gotoAndLego

On 11/4/2016 at 2:17 AM, Phil B said:

I can only second this :laugh:. Good luck my friend!!

AAA batteries, they don't last very long once your kid starts playing.  Stock up in advance, buy rechargeable, 2 or 3 sets the train uses 6 at a time and you'll burn through those VERY quickly, the remote uses another 3, but they last for ages.  Alternatively you can get the rechargeable battery pack from Lego, but that's about $50 AND you still need to get the charging cord, not sure of the price of that but I'm thinking $30...