ericb

LEPIN brings out Monster Fighters HAUNTED HOUSE (16007)

I have only recently discovered the Lepin brick sets--don't own any--and the thought of being able to actually buy a reasonably priced version of a set I had resigned myself from ever owning is enticing! Since the quality isn't exactly 100%, those of you who own the sets, have you kragled the sets together for display, or do you keep them as if they are normal LEGO?

Well, Lego, it is some lesson for you. If Lepin is doing some of your big, retired sets it means that people want them. So maybe it's time for re-releasing? You can make people happy and hurt Lepin at one time.

Well, Lego just moved up my timeline regarding purchasing Lepin sets.  Now, instead of waiting until after I get all the current Lego modulars (from Lego), I'll be buying the Lepin versions of the discontinued sets on Aliexpress first.

I know it kinda makes me the "bad guy" around here, but I couldn't help but order the Lepin Imperial Flagship today. I have wanted that set for forever and day, and it's just felt out of reach for me. I will replace the sails and any other parts that don't feel "right" to me. Obviously the minifigs will be tossed aside.

This order is my Lepin "trial". If I am satisfied with the product and with ordering from Aliexpress (it's also my first time using that site), I will buy more. I am ONLY interested in retired products (I own the real GBHQ and we are buying the REAL Disney castle), but I also have my eyes on the Haunted House, The Black Pearl, Town Hall, Fire Brigade, Green Grocer, Grab Emporiam, Cafe Corner, Emrald Night, and Grand Carosel. I would also buy the Eiffel Tower and Statue of Liberty if they make them.

I know many of you look down on this, but I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars in Lego, and Will probably spend thousands more. If Lego rerelease these sets, I would but them. But I'm not paying $600 plus for Imperial Flagship when I can but this one for $73 and out another 20 Or 3p into it and be completely satisfied.

On 9/23/2016 at 3:01 AM, Robianco said:

I'm not sure how it works legally. It actually wouldn't surprise me that a failure to file a suit against a previous company for the same infringement would be something that would hold up.

I know in employment that even if you don't sign a contract you can be legally bound by it. If you don't actively raise your objections to any points in that contract but continue to work at the company there is an assumption that you're happy to abide by that contract even if you haven't signed it.

In this case it will be a copyright & likely trademark dispute.  Lepin is clearly flaunting those with thier reuses of box art, heck most seem to just swap the logo.

Now the big problem, for Lego, is this is being held in a chinese court. To date, when a non chinese company files against a chinese one, their courts have always favored the home company.  I recall even the likes of Apple having the door slamed on them.  Leys just say chances arn't good for Lego.  The fact that they couldn't get a sales injunction says alot given Lepin hasn't exactly subtle in their knock offs.

If they kept to retired stuff, Lego may of just overlooked them, but they recently decided to copy inproduction sets like the DS.  Which is just a giant "smack me" sign

50 minutes ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

This order is my Lepin "trial". If I am satisfied with the product and with ordering from Aliexpress (it's also my first time using that site), I will buy more. I am ONLY interested in retired products (I own the real GBHQ and we are buying the REAL Disney castle), but I also have my eyes on the Haunted House, The Black Pearl, Town Hall, Fire Brigade, Green Grocer, Grab Emporiam, Cafe Corner, Emrald Night, and Grand Carosel. I would also buy the Eiffel Tower and Statue of Liberty if they make them.

I've ordered Haunted House, Emerald Night and The Carousel myself.  Much rather pay the $190 total for close enough copies, than entertain the requests of $400, $500 & $1500 respectively I found on ebay, so I'm not going to apologize to the scalpers and hoarders for spending $2200 less than they'd want me to

On 9/23/2016 at 3:01 AM, Robianco said:

I'm not sure how it works legally. It actually wouldn't surprise me that a failure to file a suit against a previous company for the same infringement would be something that would hold up.

I know in employment that even if you don't sign a contract you can be legally bound by it. If you don't actively raise your objections to any points in that contract but continue to work at the company there is an assumption that you're happy to abide by that contract even if you haven't signed it.

What you also need to take into account is that whatever the law might be where you are, isn't necessarily what the law is somewhere else.  I'll bet there isn't a single Chinese court that cares what employment law in the UK says.  I grew up in the UK and I know there's things I can do here in the US perfectly legally that, if caught, would have me doing some hefty 'time' in the UK

11 hours ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

Big G,

Where did you order from? What site I mean. Is this your first experience with all of this? I ask because it is mine and am just looking for some insight.

aliexpress, I searched through the listings for sets I like, the Haunted House because Halloween is approaching, Emerald Night because that was the model that brought Lepin to my attention, and the Carousel because my 6 year old already has the Mixer and the Ferris Wheel.  On each set I looked for the best price with shipping, but I deliberately ignored any with DHL shipping because of some import issues I had with them years ago back in the UK when they attempted to collect import duty from me for a package sent to me from .. well, from where I live now.  That was 17 years ago and they have probably given up waiting by now, but they really annoyed me with their invoice saying 'as a courtesy to expedite delivery of your package we cleared customs on it by paying the import duty, so now you owe us'.  But, anyway, on a matter of principal, I will not use DHL

Edited by Big G
spelling

29 minutes ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

Big G,

Where did you order from? What site I mean. Is this your first experience with all of this? I ask because it is mine and am just looking for some insight.

Also my first time with aliexpress.  Ordered Market Street and Green Grocer to see how it goes.  Will get the rest of the retired modular sets if everything goes okay and as finances allow.

4 hours ago, Big G said:

What you also need to take into account is that whatever the law might be where you are, isn't necessarily what the law is somewhere else.  I'll bet there isn't a single Chinese court that cares what employment law in the UK says.  I grew up in the UK and I know there's things I can do here in the US perfectly legally that, if caught, would have me doing some hefty 'time' in the UK

aliexpress, I searched through the listings for sets I like, the Haunted House because Halloween is approaching, Emerald Night because that was the model that brought Lepin to my attention, and the Carousel because my 6 year old already has the Mixer and the Ferris Wheel.  On each set I looked for the best price with shipping, but I deliberately ignored any with DHL shipping because of some import issues I had with them years ago back in the IK when they attempted to collect import duty from me for a package sent to me from .. well, from where I live now.  That was 17 years ago and they have probably given up waiting by now, but they really annoyed me with their invoice saying 'as a courtesy to expedite delivery of your package we cleared customs on it by paying the import duty, so now you owe us'.  But, anyway, on a matter of principal, I will not use DHL

What? You had problems with DHL? Thats who is shipping mine. I thought they would be better, that's why I went with them.

I've bought Lepin's Black Pearl and must say the quality is pretty good, though the sails are plasticky but I leave that for anyone to easily modify. Minifigures are pretty good, though Davy Jones is of a different shade of blue. I'm targeting the Grand Carousel and Emerald Night next as the original sets are grossly overpriced on the second hand market. I've bricklinked the UCS Falcon before and own or BL some of the modulars, so Lepin sets are "filler" of sorts. :P

On September 24, 2016 at 6:39 PM, Captain Pirate Man said:

I know it kinda makes me the "bad guy" around here, but I couldn't help but order the Lepin Imperial Flagship today. I have wanted that set for forever and day, and it's just felt out of reach for me. I will replace the sails and any other parts that don't feel "right" to me. Obviously the minifigs will be tossed aside.

I know many of you look down on this, but I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars in Lego, and Will probably spend thousands more. If Lego rerelease these sets, I would but them. But I'm not paying $600 plus for Imperial Flagship when I can but this one for $73 and out another 20 Or 3p into it and be completely satisfied.

I honestly don't blame you. Lego overcharges to begin with and you've already invested thousands of dollars into your collection, I can totally see why you came to that decision. No worries here. :classic:

Edited by BrickJagger

39 minutes ago, ezaida18 said:

I've bought Lepin's Black Pearl and must say the quality is pretty good, though the sails are plasticky but I leave that for anyone to easily modify. Minifigures are pretty good, though Davy Jones is of a different shade of blue. I'm targeting the Grand Carousel and Emerald Night next as the original sets are grossly overpriced on the second hand market. I've bricklinked the UCS Falcon before and own or BL some of the modulars, so Lepin sets are "filler" of sorts. :P

I've seen reviews where people complain about the sails. I was already of the opinion that you might as well out the real ones on. What are your thoughts?

15 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

I honestly don't blame you. Lego overcharges to begin with and you've already invested thousands of dollars into your collection, I can totally see why you came to that decision. No worries here. :classic:

Thanks man. I almost didn't even post that, just because I know many are so vocal on this subject. I mean, man I have a pretty damn impressive collection, and I am no where near finished. I just sorta look at Lepin as a way to get some of the sets that I felt were out of my reach. Take the Imperial Flagship for example, I've had that set in my wish list since I got back into Lego. But I can't spend $600 plus on it, no way. I can get A LOT more bang for my buck if I'm gonna spend that much money. Hell I could buy another GBHQ and Tower Bridge, that would be WAY more pieces than the Flagship. Sure I would always have a hole in my collection where the Flagship SHOULD be, but we all make sacrifices right? So for me, this is no different than buying a can of generic brand coke. Sure it's not quite as good, but it's a fraction of the price and I still got my fix. So at the end of the day, I'm not mad.

Edited by Captain Pirate Man

My two Imperial Flagships just shipped. I'll post a review once I receive and build them. Can't wait!!

Going to order Queen Ann's Revenge next. :)

Edited by Ltfalcon

21 minutes ago, Ltfalcon said:

My two Imperial Flagships just shipped. I'll post a review once I receive and build them. Can't wait!!

Going to order Queen Ann's Revenge next. :)

Who did you order them through? Im still waiting to get news on mine.

Toying with ordering a couple of the modulars. I notice that when you select an item you are forced to select 'without packaging' before you can add to basket. Do none of the sellers actually supply boxes?

Do you just get the loose bricks packed together with an instruction booklet?

1 hour ago, Mark Kay said:

Toying with ordering a couple of the modulars. I notice that when you select an item you are forced to select 'without packaging' before you can add to basket. Do none of the sellers actually supply boxes?

Do you just get the loose bricks packed together with an instruction booklet?

They pull the sealed bags from the box and pack in bags with instruction books to reduce shipping expense. I've purchased three ships and they all have shipped this way.

Received my order (Market Street) today that I ordered on the 21st.  Shipped by DHL with no problems.  Once I build it, I'll give a report on any missing pieces (there are two pieces that are deformed, probably by heat).  Luckily, yesterday I received the baseplates I ordered via Bricklink.

I have put together an order for the Green Grocer, Corner Cafe, and another Parisian Restaurant. If the quality is good enough, I think can see myself buying a few more to increase the size of some of my existing buildings.