Sign in to follow this  
Conchas

New TECHNIC sets for 2008

Thank you very much for these pictures I have been very eager to see them.

However now that I have seen them I am quite dissapointed and I can't see me

buying any of them. It is very good to see them investing in new part designs

but this is such a cop out.

If they had longer pneumatics (powered by air) then that would have been great

but instead they have these stupid linear actuater things, each one requiring

it's own drive train. They may have some limited uses but I really hope this is

the last time we see them where there should be a pneumatic cylinder. I can't

see them being as powerful as pneumatics and motorising them will be very

awkward as you have to get drive to the end of every actuator (most likely

through universal joints making them even weaker). Imagine trying to get drive to a third actuator on the excavator to power the shovel. They would also be more

expensive to produce unless they have plastic workings inside, which would make

them even more crappy.

The off roader has some lights and a pole revearser switch. Nice but i'm not

gonna spend about

I'm keeping a keen eye on the new off-road car. It has some interesting new stuff I'm interested in.

First of all, the new PF elements, the lights (Crossing my fingers that these are LEDs!) themselves will probably make another appearance next year on the new trains. The pole reverser/switch I'm clueless on, that will be interesting. And then, and I think this is a first, it looks like the car features a live rear axle.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the pole reverser will work like the 8480 submarine (alternate model). In this model, the battery box is internal and the pole reverser is basically an on-off switch. When you turn it on, the prop turns and the fiber optics activate. Then you can use a gearbox to switch functions (open and close the front hatch). No set uses the gearbox better than 8480!

The 8421 is slightly similar, but without the pole reverser. A gearbox is used to change functions (telescope boom or wind cable).

So in this case, there may be a gearbox to switch between winch function and some other function(s) that we can't see in the picture. The pole reverser would simply be an on-off switch which also reverses direction of the functions. I agree that it seems ridiculous to have a motor to do nothing more than drive a winch. I will almost guarantee that there are other motorized functions. One clue would be the size of the motor. If it is an XL motor, they wouldn't use that just for a winch.

However, if the gearbox is used for switching functions, it means that the gearbox is NOT used as a transmission for the car.

Eric

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the pole reverser will work like the 8480 submarine (alternate model). In this model, the battery box is internal and the pole reverser is basically an on-off switch. When you turn it on, the prop turns and the fiber optics activate. Then you can use a gearbox to switch functions (open and close the front hatch). No set uses the gearbox better than 8480!

The 8421 is slightly similar, but without the pole reverser. A gearbox is used to change functions (telescope boom or wind cable).

So in this case, there may be a gearbox to switch between winch function and some other function(s) that we can't see in the picture. The pole reverser would simply be an on-off switch which also reverses direction of the functions. I agree that it seems ridiculous to have a motor to do nothing more than drive a winch. I will almost guarantee that there are other motorized functions. One clue would be the size of the motor. If it is an XL motor, they wouldn't use that just for a winch.

However, if the gearbox is used for switching functions, it means that the gearbox is NOT used as a transmission for the car.

Eric

I agree with you!

At the blog post, I've added a not where indicated that probably a Driving Ring may be seen in the image.

Rests to know if it is a gearbox for transmission or for switching functions, as you said.

Regarding the motor, I belive it is 'M' size and not a 'XL' one.

Edited by Conchas

I believe it is a medium motor driving two functions (selectable via driving ring). One function is the winch and the other function is raising/lowering the suspention. The pole switch will change the direction of the motor as required. A assume the headlights stay on all the time.

I'm thinking the same as Freddie here with the live axle at the rear of the off-roader. It looks like the front is connected to the chassis using the bendy-no-stud component, though. There must be some sort of tie rod arrangement to the rear also if it's fully live but it looks like a leaf spring attachment (similar to pre 1985/3 landrovers). It'll be interesting to see how TLC do the live axle (as it's a pain to make!).

The motor suggests that it it powers several different things because of its size.(again, Freddie!). I'm starting to think that the new technic will be able to be 'remote controlled' by buying the sensor and remote (as advertised in the new s@h) with the omission of a second model (I remember a message mentioned here about TLC asking if people built the second model) and 'extra' parts to fit the new bits in.

On another note, it's a shame to see the demise of the pnuematics in the crane designs; They were a real feature. I assume that TLC are using the screw mechanism as it is more reliable but it'll make a really horrible noise. At least it'll combat the problems when a hose pops off deep in the centre of your creation!

ROFL

Yeehh, Sure!

I read it! Just looking to fast for Freddie...

Got it now :-$ ;-) .

Edited by Conchas

Since this has the new pictures I think this should become the new main 2008 thread. I have added all the new sets to the first post so people can see easily what the current know sets are. *sweet*

I'm thinking the same as Freddie here with the live axle at the rear of the off-roader. It looks like the front is connected to the chassis using the bendy-no-stud component, though. There must be some sort of tie rod arrangement to the rear also if it's fully live but it looks like a leaf spring attachment (similar to pre 1985/3 landrovers). It'll be interesting to see how TLC do the live axle (as it's a pain to make!).

The motor suggests that it it powers several different things because of its size.(again, Freddie!). I'm starting to think that the new technic will be able to be 'remote controlled' by buying the sensor and remote (as advertised in the new s@h) with the omission of a second model (I remember a message mentioned here about TLC asking if people built the second model) and 'extra' parts to fit the new bits in.

On another note, it's a shame to see the demise of the pnuematics in the crane designs; They were a real feature. I assume that TLC are using the screw mechanism as it is more reliable but it'll make a really horrible noise. At least it'll combat the problems when a hose pops off deep in the centre of your creation!

Very good points. I'm atempting to make a live axle for one of my creator trucks, and its proving to be more difficult that than i thought to make it have adequet suspention flex and be strong at the same time.

Hopfully we'll see a return of the pneumatic line in the future. Well see how these new actuators hold up under severe loads. Thats one thing the pneumatics were able to do quite well.

This is kinda late but in the case of 8297 and the amount of lights it has, didn't anyone thing of checking the poster part of the photo? I just did using GQview and you can clearly see 2 lights, one on each side.

I first thought of getting this, but when i heard of the motor set i got more interested of that. Since all PF-elements are available at S@H i hope the lights will as well. Since i already own 2 bulldozers i really don't need more motors, but lights would be nice, along with some converter cables.

This is kinda late but in the case of 8297 and the amount of lights it has, didn't anyone thing of checking the poster part of the photo? I just did using GQview and you can clearly see 2 lights, one on each side.

I first thought of getting this, but when i heard of the motor set i got more interested of that. Since all PF-elements are available at S@H i hope the lights will as well. Since i already own 2 bulldozers i really don't need more motors, but lights would be nice, along with some converter cables.

My converter cables came in the post today I am off to have a look at them now :-D

My converter cables came in the post today I am off to have a look at them now :-D

Mine arrived last week *sweet*, and I made a review about their usecases.

See it at TechnicBRICKs.

Edited by Conchas

Lego Technic goes off road

Thanks for the story. *wub* The pics are nothing new so I won't re-post them here. It does clarify the function of the motors however. *sweet*

Well I believe these specific photos were not seen before and bring clarification to some raised questions.
Well I think that was more that a bit rude. 8-

Sorry for the misunderstanding, as didn't got your point at first. I understand now that you were requested by LEGO

TechnicBRICKs have been receiveing good feedback from several readers, being happy to have a Blog fully dedicated to the TECHNIC theme.

That's enough for me!

Otherwise it doesn't worth to continue. And it is not the only place where I do invest huge ammount of hours too.

I should say, I'm also moderator for the TECHNIC section into my LUG forum with a different language, so I can split my personal effort among several similar projects, for zero cents too (just passion). ;-)

TechnicBRICKs have been receiveing good feedback from several readers, being happy to have a Blog fully dedicated to the TECHNIC theme.
Well I've made my negative rant about site promotion so I have nothing bad left to say. :-D I just wanted to clear the air and make my stances clear. Desires of a unified Lego community aside, I happen to like several of your blog entries (I found your PF/9V conversion cable very informative) so please don't take any of this personal. You like Technic sets after all so we should be getting on like a house on fire! :-D I apologise if I have come off as being rude.

Well I've made my negative rant about site promotion so I have nothing bad left to say. :-D I just wanted to clear the air and make my stances clear. Desires of a unified Lego community aside, I happen to like several of your blog entries (I found your PF/9V conversion cable very informative) so please don't take any of this personal. You like Technic sets after all so we should be getting on like a house on fire! :-D I apologise if I have come off as being rude.

Ok, we are unbderstood now!

No bad fellings about.

Thanks